Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 fuel tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  11:10:45  Show Profile
Can some kind person please measure the position of the fuel outlet pipes on the top of the J2 tank for me. The only any indication I have found so far is on the Dutch website, great site guys by the way, but it has not got the dimensions I need. I am about to drill the holes for them and need to know where. From a quick check of photos I have of various cars I suspect that there is quite a variation but I want to avoid as far as possible the problems of getting the very tight pigtail bends looking something like right. To that end a measurement of the distance apart of the two outlets and the distance from the tap itself would be helpful. I would also be interested in the diameter of the bends on the pipes 'though I expect that there is a wide variation out there.
Regards
Ian Thomson

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  11:51:39  Show Profile
Hi Ian

Just measured the tank on the L2, it is a new one made by Steve Gilbert.

The measurements are:-

Filler - centre 2 inches from the offside edge of tank
Tap - centre is 7 inches from offside edge of tank
Fuel feeds - 1 5/8 inches from the centre for tap

I expect there will be variations on the theme!!

Hope this helps

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  12:08:11  Show Profile
If you have no luck in the interim, my J2 from Cyprus still has its original tank ( apparently its the early type ), its on the high seas at the moment, eta around one month ( ie. Christmas ).

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
669 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  12:42:27  Show Profile
Hi Ian,
have look in " Octagon Heaven " under
Documents downloads................
there are J2 tank drawings with demensions in.
Cheers
Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  13:29:27  Show Profile
J3485...

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  14:38:41  Show Profile
Just checked 3 original J2 tanks and Georges dimensions are correct except I make the fuel filler one a little different at 2 1/8 inch from edge of tank to centre of filler.

TH
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2013 :  11:33:52  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you. I might have a chance of getting them all in the right place now. As an extra question: does anybody know whether the "pigtails" turn sharp left/right on coming out of the tank before going into the "big" bend or whether they have only one bend as in the picture above. It would be useful to know what was original as I have seen both. Certainly the single bend, as above, is the easiest to form.

Regards
Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2013 :  15:06:33  Show Profile
Ian attached picture is of an original and it is the same as the ones on Peters tank. However I have seen many cars over the years where the pipe bends just after the nut on the tank and then curves round to the tap connection. I personally think the latter is neater but believe both arrangements to be original. Probably depended who was bending them on the day !

TH
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2013 :  16:47:15  Show Profile
Thanks Terry. I tried to make the other sort but found the bend as it leaves the tank to be a little too tight if it is to look reasonable. I expect I could achieve it eventually but it may need a lot of piping before I got it right. The one you illustrate is certainly the easiest to form and is probably what I will use.

Regards
Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000