Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA close ratio gearsets
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2014 :  18:44:06  Show Profile
Just to keep things tidy as far as indications of interest go, I have spoken directly with Mike Dowley and indicated my interest in a set of gears. I was given a ball park figure for these gears but I will leave it to Mike to give us all the good news when he gets a final figure.
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  17:41:52  Show Profile
Any news on these gear sets?
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  21:59:40  Show Profile
I spoke with S&V early last week and Mike is still on the case. I gather the cost of gear cutting has risen considerably since S&V had the previous batch made so negotiations/deliberations over price may be a factor. Fingers-crossed!
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  09:36:54  Show Profile
If someone had a complete transmission from a PB that we could borrow.

Then there is a company called Nova that would be able to copy the gear set and make us up a batch.

I might be prepared to purchase a batch of say 10 sets, but would have to add a small profit, if I'm left with them for a time

I'm guessing but a damaged gear set might be enough to copy and make up the auto cad drawings.

I've got one of their motorcycle transmissions and the work is first class, it's a 5 into 4 c/ratio bsa goldstar and I think that was about £1500 but they made/make quite a few.I also waited over 12 months, but they have since invested in a new premises and equipment.

In a recent magazine article, they said it didn't take them long to design and manufacture now. As no design required in our case, it might just be copy and draw the program.

But we would need a friendly person to lend a PB internals.

I might drop them an email now, let you know.

Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  18:09:13  Show Profile
Have just taken a look at the Nova website - interesting stuff! I wonder, however, if they have the capability to manufacture what we need. I gather the really tricky bits are the double-herringbone pairs. It has been suggested that there is only one gear-cutter remaining in the UK (don't know who they are - and wouldn't be as impolite as to ask S&V to divulge the names of their business partners!) able to produce such gears (at least in small quantities - guess if one of the multi-national car Co's needed this type by the thousand it might be a different matter). In addition, of course, there are the associated selector components (needed for the larger 3rd gear) and heaven knows what else. It may be that only S&V and their gear-cutter have the required 'knowledge'. My experience of Mike and Jamie Dowley is that they always go-the-extra-mile to help so I'm sure are still working hard on this behind the scenes.
Neil
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  19:57:13  Show Profile
I wasn't trying to go behind any ones back or take away their business, so if S&V are near to getting them made, then I will stop now. I did send nova an email and I'll await their reply and further explain to them.

I'm not after making money out of this, just need a transmission and if it takes 10 sets, then I would be willing to go ahead, then think about getting my money back on the ones I don't need.

If they didn't sell quickly, then I would think about a profit, as I'm guessing I would have £20,000 - £30,000 in them.

I would prefer to have them make a complete transmission, including selectors and shafts, rather than a couple of conversion gears, but they would make what you required.

I'll let you know when I get some news.
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  20:35:30  Show Profile
Michael - I do apologise if my last post suggested censure of any sort, certainly not the intention. Most grateful that you are taking the trouble to investigate all options. I'm simply wondering if anyone beyond the few true MMM experts out there have the experience/expertise to produce the modified mix-and-match components. Of course, this is not to say that the likes of Nova Racing couldn't come up with a completely new set of innards - sequential dog-box anyone? Neil
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  15:10:06  Show Profile
No offence taken, just needed to clear that point up, in case I upset anyone.

Nova can't cut the gears, but found a few people that can, however need to send them drawings in PDF.

To do that I would need the gear set to measure and draw up, if it was the conversion gears I had, then I wouldn't proceed as I would regard that as poaching.

If I had access to a full gear set and shafts, selectors etc, then it would just be a copy and it doesn't seem anyone has done this yet.

I don't think it will be cheap, but I don't think I've found any of my hobbies to be cheap, after all it's only money ;-)

So no definite answer there.
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  21:23:11  Show Profile
I've decided not to get any gear sets made.

Mike is doing his best to get us the gears at a good price, cost is not a priority to me and taking business from someone is not some thing I would entertain, especially when the trader is a forum member and as helpful as Richard is.

Sorry if I've got anyone excited, but I'm going to forget the idea.

Hang on for Mike, he's working hard on this and is trying to get the best quality he can and still keep the final cost reasonable.

Edited by - rustcollector on 11/09/2014 21:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Brian H

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2014 :  20:34:44  Show Profile
Hi,

I am a bit slow on this topic as I was talking to a fellow MMM member ealier today (at Sywell) and he told me to check this topic out as things had moved on! I did contact S&V a year or so ago about PB ratios for a PA box and was told it would not happen. I am pleased see this has been revived and would like to register my interest in having the upgrade. Not having read all the replies I expect I would need an overhaul 'kit' too! All subject to reasonable costs. Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000