Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 craigs list
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  18:57:08  Show Profile
Has anyone had a bad experience using craigs list.

I wanted to buy something for my car, but the seller is asking for a bank transfer.

Is this safe, or is there a safer way to purchase something.

Thanks for any help and advice.

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  19:05:18  Show Profile
There was an ENV manual box on there a while ago that was all a bit suspect!!! Was discussed on here so maybe able to find it in archive post??
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  19:30:55  Show Profile
Yes, I remember reading about that with some horror!

I hope anyone ripping others off with this kind of scam, live a very long and unhappy life.
I have no personal experience of Craigs List, but there are enough scams on other sites such as eBay where you have fairly good protection. Some scoundrels are always going to try it on if they think they can get away with it.

Here are the links for quick reference...

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7624&SearchTerms=craigs,list

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4019&SearchTerms=craigs,list

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3861&SearchTerms=craigs,list

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 10/09/2014 19:33:29
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  22:33:16  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I did't trust the seller anyway.

anyone recognise this supercharger. It's in Aberdeen, I guess if you did collect with cash in your pocket, you stand the chance of getting jumped.

So I'm on the look out for a supercharger again ;-)

Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  22:37:40  Show Profile

Supercharger looks like a Marshall J75 - rather nice piece of kit!

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  07:50:36  Show Profile
Looks like an xpag installation
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  07:58:28  Show Profile
Without wishing in any way suggesting anything disparaging about people in Scotland, far from it, the ENV gearbox scams on Craig Lists have come from Scotland, some in Aberdeen, some much further north.

The ENV gearbox scam is still continually running.

If the seller won't accept cash on inspection then you know its a con as there as it's only a reasonable request when buying such an item. Stay away from Western Union Money Transfers also.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  08:05:04  Show Profile
You can always also ask for a photo taken from a specific angle. At least you then know it is likely they actually have the part in their possession still which may make it seem a more legitimate selling exercise. With Ebay offering puling protection (which has just been enhanced further) and given that Ebay has a far bigger following, it does beg the question why this sought after item is not being sold through Ebay. There seems to be no protection on Craig Lists, they just seem to warn you about being scammed.

The ENV photos on Craig Lists were lifted from a legitimate ebay sale run by Steve Baker prior to it then appearing on Craig Lists.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  08:40:58  Show Profile
Just got an email from the seller.

They gave me their ? address in Peterhead,Aberdeen, a lloyds bank account details and a email address @gmail.

Although I'm not in a position to criticise, there are minor grammar mistakes, that cause suspicion. Small things like "ship" instead of post.

I asked if the seller had any other MG parts, to see what else turns up.

I had asked a few times for their email address, but all communication was done through Craigs list which hides the origin.

I like to be careful, but shame to lose this if it was genuine.
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  11:05:13  Show Profile
An update for those interested.

The address is in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire and the bank details trace to an Essex branch.

Might be honest, but just another alarm bell to me.

I wonder if he has the much advertised ENV gearbox?

Edited by - rustcollector on 11/09/2014 11:06:53
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  16:35:22  Show Profile
If I remember correctly, when this subject came up some months ago, somebody was asking if any local MMMer would go round to inspect it.

A Google of the postcode revealed that it was on the same street as the local employment exchange - or something similar.

Buyer be very aware !!

Somebody on this forum, a long time ago, suggested that one asked a suspicious vendor to confirm what type of wood the article was made of !!
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  22:16:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tonym

Somebody on this forum, a long time ago, suggested that one asked a suspicious vendor to confirm what type of wood the article was made of !!

Heheh. Nice one! You never know!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  21:59:52  Show Profile
I was involved a few months ago in checking an address in Fraserburgh (Commerce St.) where someone called Faggionne claimed to be selling an ENV box. The address existed, but there was no-one of that name on the electoral register. Someone from Sweden lost a lot of money on this scam. I guess the North East of Scotland is considered sufficiently remote to be safe from a buyer actually trying to view the item.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  22:12:41  Show Profile

I told the guy on craigs list that I would collect it, he told me he is available between 9am to 4 pm and to tell him exactly when I would be arriving.

I did a quick check and it seems to be a conversion consisting of 7 apartments.

Anyway I think I will forget this one.

I've found an A75 a bit nearer so going to look at that.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Edited by - rustcollector on 12/09/2014 22:13:50
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2014 :  08:36:14  Show Profile
Is there any reason not to publish the name and address on this forum. I have friends in Aberdeen, and will be on a tour in that area next weekend. It might be possible to check it out.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2014 :  09:10:08  Show Profile
Thanks Colin,

I would happily post the name and address if it is allowed, also bearing in mind on the off chance that the seller may be genuine, would he want his name and address on here for all too see.

I can email you the details if you are interested or anyone else is.

The price was £1600, I don't know if that is a good price or not?

Thanks again for your offer Colin and I appreciate you offering to help out. However, I'm looking to get an A75 from someone a bit nearer and cheaper.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000