Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Relocation of rear lights
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2014 :  18:09:19  Show Profile
There have been a few discussions on the Forum over the years on how best to ensure that we can be seen on the roads in darkness. Rear lights and indicators on either side of a low set number plate don't make us readily visible to other drivers who nowadays expect to see rear lights and indicators at eye level, or close to it.

So one of the jobs I had done over the winter was to mount the rear lights on the rear wing stays of the J2. Gerard van Puten had some brackets available on his web site but at my request he modified them a little (see item number 19 at http://www.mgmmm.com/parts.htm for the revised version) and the resulting location is, to my mind, very neat.

As you can see, Oliver Richardson did a very neat job of installing them and ran the wiring behind the tank so that it looks like an original installation.

Being a J2, it seemed appropriate to paint them the same as the headlights and side lights. For the single number plate light I used the repro of the Lucas MT 211 light. It's slightly shorter than the original Lucas TF 201A, but it looks pretty good I reckon and at about 17 quid on fleaBay a lot cheaper than the genuine article!

I have LED conversions in all the rear lights, and the front side lights as well, which provide a strong bright light with minimal battery drain. I got these from Peter Jury ( www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com ). In fact I needed to replace the existing LED bulbs in the front side lights which I had got from another supplier but which didn't work properly (the side lights went out when the engine was started!) and Peter had a replacement pair of bulbs with me the next day to ensure that I had them for the Triple M event in Scotland. (No connection with either Gerard or Peter other than as a very satisfied customer)

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/05/2014 18:29:10

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2014 :  23:04:54  Show Profile

Nice job Simon!

Having seen the back of a very dimly lit old Rolls Royce with low-mounted lights in very bad weather on the motorway one night, and seen for myself the potentially serious implications, I have often pondered this problem.

Personally I am reluctant to change the look of my car, and if I ever do get it on the road, thought I might simply clip LED bicycle lights onto similar areas of the back of the car.
Some of those LED bike lights are small but very visible, and battery life lasts for hours and hours, but they could easily be removed for the 'correct look' during the daytime. Yes it might be a bit of a hassle but I think I could live with it.
Nevertheless I think you have a very good 'permanent solution' and it does look very nicely done.

This has certainly given me some more ideas to consider!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2014 :  05:36:50  Show Profile
Mark,

The battery LED lights are certainly an option, but wouldn't solve the problem of more clearly visible indicators which I feel are an absolute necessity in modern traffic.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2014 :  10:48:14  Show Profile
I'm still considering the indicators problem .

I've thought about fitting a bicycle indicator and brake-light unit to the top of the wheel carrier but wonder if this might just cause confusion. It also looks a bit too modern.

Looking further at a removable solution, another consideration might be using a set of smoked-lens motorbike-fairing indicators strapped to the sides of the spare tyre, with a quick-release plug/socket for reverting to it's 'period' look.

Years ago I was riding motorbikes, time-cancelling indicators with a loud audible warning became common, but are seldom seen/heard these days.
The audible 'beeping' reduces the chance of an indicator being inadvertently left on - potentially lethal for a motorcyclist. Even in a modern open car, with more (sun)light on the instrument panel warning lights it is easy to leave the indicator on, and I've had this happen under certain conditions where the self cancellation has not had a chance to reset.

It seems that the front indicators can be inside Lucas 1130 type sidelights and are easily available - a neat idea!

Your more 'permanent' solution for the back lights has certainly given me food for thought and making me question having the lights removable at all! The thought process continues...

Either way, with modern traffic conditions, I completely agree that I'd want to be lit up like a Christmas tree in a much slower car!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 29/05/2014 10:54:45
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2014 :  11:03:25  Show Profile
The thing about the way I've located the lights is that it would have been perfectly possible to have had the same set up in 1933, bar the flashing amber indicators of course. I had been thinking of using smoke lens paint to disguise the amber lenses and may well try that in the coming months. I've also been thinking about a time controlled relay as it is all too easy to leave the indicators flashing.

As for front side lights, if you have the double contact lamp units wired for flashing indicators then LED bulbs that fit straight in and give you white side lights and amber indicators can be found here - http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/combined-side-and-indicator-bulbs-shop.php Again, no connection with the company; just a satisfied customer

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:40:50  Show Profile
A bit late on this topic (and first ever post).
I recently fitted LED indicator boards to the pork-pie lamps on my M type. The original glass lens was too dark for the amber LED to show through properly so I had to fit the supplied plastic replacements. I thought the orange section on these looked wrong so I sprayed it with red Rustoleum stained-glass paint, which is transparent. Now in normal light the lens looks all-red but when operating the orange indicator shows through a treat.

Bob Howden
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  05:55:59  Show Profile
Bob,

I had been thinking of trying the smoked lens paint as the amber flasher shows as amber through it. Does the amber flasher show as amber through the red glass paint?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  08:00:14  Show Profile
Welcome to the Forum, Bob and thanks for your ingenious suggestion.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  17:04:03  Show Profile
Simon - yes the red stained-glass paint is pretty transparent and the flashers just shine through orange as normal. I couldn't see much light loss either. It just required a coat or two of the paint on the outside of the lens which is enough to make them look red under normal daylight. I did not paint the inside - picture attached (I hope)

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  18:59:35  Show Profile
Bob,

That was an excellent find and I shall pop down to Homebase (who seem to stock this paint) to get some and give it a go.

Many thanks.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  19:07:34  Show Profile
If they don't stock it, then we do!

Deka Glass Paints

www.georgeweil.com

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  19:43:50  Show Profile
Regarding the turn signal warning buzzer, I've fitted something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/high-power-buzzer-fk84f

It's wired in parallel to the warning light and is so loud that I quietened it a bit with a piece of tape....but there's no way even someone a bit deaf like me will forget to cancel the signal.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  23:55:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leafrancis14

Regarding the turn signal warning buzzer, I've fitted something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/high-power-buzzer-fk84f

It's wired in parallel to the warning light and is so loud that I quietened it a bit with a piece of tape....but there's no way even someone a bit deaf like me will forget to cancel the signal.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)

I seriously believe this is a good safety feature - interesting that you did this Barny - ex biker by chance?

Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  07:55:29  Show Profile
Yes I am....personally I think this is safety critical when retro fitting non cancelling winkers as sooner or later you will forget to cancel them.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  08:10:34  Show Profile
I like the buzzer idea. Thanks.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  09:32:06  Show Profile
I've just ordered this item on fleaBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251337237605

The buzzer doesn't come on until after a pre-set number of flashes or seconds, and, by connecting it to the stop light switch, it can be silenced by applying the foot brake if waiting for a lengthy period at a junction with the indicators going. Once the brakes are released the buzzer comes into action again.

I haven't actually tried it yet but plan to fit it on my next trip home.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000