Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Relocation of rear lights
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2014 :  20:07:28  Show Profile
If you want to go down the self-cancelling route and don't want to get too modern, Lucas do a self-cancelling switch that was used on the MGA and others in the '50s. Looks moderately period and uses a rubber diaphragm and vacuum in the switch which can be adjusted via an air hole to change the stay-on time. Just a thought.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  00:58:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

I've just ordered this item on fleaBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251337237605

I like the idea of that - has to be worth a punt for £15. Be sure to let us know how you got on

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  14:13:37  Show Profile
The self cancelling indicator switch on my MGA is a pain in the b##.
Very erratic and liable to pack up altogether. I have a simple on/off flick switch in tandem under the dash, leaving the original for show.
My original MGA that I had in 1967 had the same problem!
I don't recommend them.
Graham
PB0602 and MGA

p.s. I like the idea of the audible gadget,will try one.
P.P.s. Sorry we have drifted away from Simons original post !

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 10/06/2014 14:20:50
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  14:46:09  Show Profile
Hi Graham
If you dismantle your MGA indicator switch you will find a leather seal inside. Soak this overnight in neats foot oil and that brings it back to life. Under the vacuum adjusting screw at the back should be a very tight small wad of cotton wool like material. If this is missing replace it with a small ball of squeezed up cotton wool. Re-assemble and adjust the vacuum screw to give you a suitable on period.
You may have to repeat this procedure every few years but it should work OK after this unless it is damaged in some way.
I know it is a horrible thing but it is period and I sort of like its funny ways !

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  15:26:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graham holdsworth
P.P.s. Sorry we have drifted away from Simons original post !

No worries, Graham. The whole business of being more visible and what sort of lights, indicators and switches to use is all part of my rear lights exercise. I personally just have an on/off/on chrome toggle switch in the centre of the dash below the horn which I'm very happy with. At Terry Holden's suggestion the warning light is mounted on the steering column behind the dash where it's not visible to the passing OP, but is easily seen from the driver's seat. But I still leave my indicators on from time to time - hence the idea of trying the delayed buzzer I mentioned above.

I also plan to fit a hazard flashing system as once again, that's what motorists today expect to see if a car is broken down. Not that our cars ever break down, you understand, but better safe than sorry.

And of course a new stop light switch to make sure the car behind is ready for the power of my 8" cable brakes!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  14:23:02  Show Profile
Terry,thanks for your advice on MGA switch.Done that. Brilliant, I wish I knew that 45 years ago !
I shall still use the simple on/off switch as sometimes you need the indicators on for 20secs and sometimes only 5secs.
Graham
p.s. I've done it again Simon !!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  14:39:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graham holdsworth
p.s. I've done it again Simon !!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2014 :  20:06:34  Show Profile
I am just about to change the rear cycle wing brackets, as I inherited some home mades.
I will be mounting my indicators between the tank and mudguard. A neat place, nice and visible from rear and 3/4 view.
I intend to "go audible" aswell.
A worthy thread indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  16:48:20  Show Profile
Well, I can confirm that the Rustoleum stained glass paint works a treat. I now have red tail lights and amber flashers! Good find, Bob.

And the delayed warning buzzer (I have it set to give about a fifteen second delay before it comes on) works a treat.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  19:35:13  Show Profile
Simon, how loud is the buzzer? I was thinking of getting the one Barney mentioned however, he said it's very loud & he put some tape over it to tame it. On Maplin's web site it says 100 & something decibels. That does seem loud, even with my hearing!

On the above pics, is the righthand one "after paint"? It almost looks before!

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 27/06/2014 19:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  20:45:42  Show Profile
Dave,

The buzzer - actually it's a beeper rather than a buzzer - is just about loud enough to catch your attention when driving. I had thought about swapping it for the one Barny linked to but as you say it's over 100 decibels which seemed a bit excessive.

I should have made it clear that in the photos above, the right hand one is the flasher showing bright amber through the red paint. It does Indeed look like a 'before' picture but it's very much an 'after' one.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  22:04:19  Show Profile
Many thanks Simon. I think I will go for your buzzer, & I must say I'm most impressed with your flasher. I've got the same light boards so should get the same result.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  22:20:18  Show Profile
Dave,

I actually upgraded my LED circuit boards to the latest version that Peter Jury ( www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com )sells as they are quite a bit bigger in diameter with eighteen LEDs rather than the original twelve for each section of the circuit board. I also made up a full width divider to ensure a sharp light cut off for each section.

www.triple-mregister.org/forums/uploads/Simon Johnston/201462722_image.jpg" border="0">

I have to say I'm very pleased with the result.
P.S. Don't know what happened to the picture!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 27/06/2014 22:25:55
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  22:27:25  Show Profile
Here it is (I hope)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  23:47:11  Show Profile
Simon, you've mentioned these better boards before but the only ones I can find with 18 LEDs are red/white. Are these the ones you've used?

BTW, I see he now has the first of the dipping LED headlamps available, although with a continental fitting. Maybe BA15 will follow as that's what he used for the single "filament" ones.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000