Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 S Kemball
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John46

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  21:03:04  Show Profile
My L Type (L1) L0521 MG2866, left the factory as a chassis,engine,gearbox etc and with primed wheels and went to University Motors on 14/9/1933.
I`m trying to find out what body was fitted and going backwards in time I can only get to 1956 with no real factual evidence.Currently it`s got a mainly J2 body but I know it did have an open 4 seater body in 1964 but that was removed and scr@pped due to a prang.
So, starting from the beginning of it`s life the ONLY name stated as owner that appears on two documents is S.KEMBALL Esq, c/o University Motors,Stratton House.One document was the sales ticket and the other was an "order for repairs" on 27/2/34. There was a Stanley Kemball on the MGCC Committee in 1933 (membership 394 presons!)and was later a director with Kimber and Cookson. Question is, was this the same person? If so are there any photos of cars owned by him?
Any ideas please? MGCC can`t produce anything different to what they`ve already given from Factory records so it`s all down to you folks!
John Morrill

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  22:34:04  Show Profile
Hello John,

According to Mike Allison's files, L0521 was a 'University Coupé' and a UM demo car ... No mention of your Mr Kemball though.

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

John46

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  23:18:11  Show Profile
Thanks Cat,
Where might I find some pics of the UM Coupe?
On another document,to check out steering, it says "Magna LH Coupe" the "L" in "LH" maybe some other letter; it`s not clear. Maybe Mr Kemball was a salesman at UM?
John.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  00:23:12  Show Profile
The only picture I have found on my shelf is on page 90 of Malcolm Green's excellent book "MG Road Cars Volume Two 6 Cylinder Overhead Cam" Magna Press, 1997 - ISBN 0 9510423 5 2.

I suspect that's out of print but the MGCC library at Kimber House may have a copy and Malcolm may well be happy to let them send you the photo.

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

John46

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  08:24:48  Show Profile
Thanks Bob; I`ll contact the library.
Still like to know something about Mr S Kemball i.e. the MGCC Committee member/director.I can`t find anything on the internet and the geneology route has a Stanley Kemball as a Flight Sub Lieut RNAS in 1915 born 1893 died 1965...................??
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  10:38:30  Show Profile
I haven't been able to confirm it, but I think that I have come across reference in the past that Stanley Kemball was MD of University Motors and was one of Cecil Kimber's and latterly John Thornley's circle of friends.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  11:13:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John46

Where might I find some pics of the UM Coupe?
John.

There are couple of pics in the Brooklands book 'MG Cars in the Thirties', and a repeat of one of them in an Autocar book I have, 'MG Sports - the six cylinder cars'. As the article was published in Jan 1932, I guess this would be an F type, but the L would presumably be similar. I'd love to see one in the flesh but it won't win any beauty contests!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 13/06/2014 11:14:22
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  12:24:53  Show Profile
Just realised some of the pics are repeated in the more easily available MG gold portfolio 1929-1939 by Brooklands Books...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

John46

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2014 :  09:22:50  Show Profile
Thanks Colin and Graham for your additions.
I think I have fairly conclusively established that the body was a "University"Foursome Folding Head Coupe. In my second post on this topic I said I could`nt be sure what the letter was before the "H" but of course it must be a "F" as in Folding Head. I have had a picture from the archives at Kimber House and will agree that they are not the most attractive of cars! (I don`t want to post pic here because I`m not sure of copyright)
I now think Stanley Kemball was in the employment of University Motors but also tied in to the MGCC........maybe my car was a company car/demonstrator or the like. An actual picture would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks again all,
John Morrill
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2014 :  10:09:48  Show Profile
Oh - what the heck...!

This is the page from Brooklands Books 'MG Gold Portfolio 1929-1939', which itself was taken from 'The Light Car' of Jan 1932.

As a plug for Brooklands Books, when I bought my P in 1968 I had no idea what the other MMM cars looked like, there weren't the number of MG books about then. Apart from 'Maintaining the Breed', just about the only source of info was the Brooklands series of repros, broken down into four or five year periods, mostly of poor reproduction. The Gold Portfolio reproduces these in far better quality, so well worth having.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2014 :  05:59:25  Show Profile

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked