Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Dog bone fuel filler cap
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  21:02:35  Show Profile
I managed to loose my dog bone fuel filler cap when I came home from Cadwell last Saturday. I had to loosen it to remove the hood and fit the tonneau. Then I obviously forgot to retighten it as it was missing when I got home. I do have a spare which fits well but is very battered. Does anyone have one available which is in good condition?

Peter

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  01:04:25  Show Profile
Hi Peter

Sorry to hear the bad news. I am in the process of running another batch at the moment if you do not manage to locate a second hand one

Kind regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  04:18:29  Show Profile
Maybe worth trying this? I'd never have thought of it but this is how Oliver Richardson secured mine. It's lock wired to the P clip holding the fuel line.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  04:44:35  Show Profile
Unfortunately, P-types don't have a fuel line running from the top of the tank. Thus no P clip, thus no anchor point.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  07:33:35  Show Profile
On the new ones, we use a split pin on the inside to hold the brass cones together which then also doubles as an anchor point on the cap to dangle a T-bar inside the neck

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  07:35:23  Show Profile

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  08:04:12  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  08:13:13  Show Profile
But now the Catapult is useless Andrew !

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  08:29:58  Show Profile
They originally had a chain and T bar hanging underneath which cured this problem.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  09:52:08  Show Profile
Well thanks for all your advice. I was planning to fit a lanyard around the neck on the tank and to one end of the cap. Now I have a few alternatives to consider. However my problem is finding another cap in good nick. I know that new ones are available but the prices of them has increased more than somewhat over the past few years and a patinated one would probably look better on my car. (The one which I lost cost me £40 about five years ago.) So I thought that I would see if there is a used one in good nick available before buying new.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  10:11:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D Downes

But now the Catapult is useless Andrew !

Regards
David D

Actually, it's one of Mrs B's old suspenders... ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  10:32:15  Show Profile
Any TWANG left !

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  15:37:05  Show Profile
HI Peter,
I have an extra dog bone filler cap which did not fall off my car ;-)
Let me know if you still need one.
Best, Chris

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2014 :  21:38:07  Show Profile
Peter, on the cost of the new caps the price of the VMGP ones has never gone up. The price does however reflects all the extra work involved in producing a highly accurate stepped early dogbone for the J and P type. Nobody has ever reproduced these before possibly because there is too much investment i.e. tooling and pattern costs plus all the hand fettling and assembly time.

There did use to be the cheaper one piece repro casting made but this was not a correct design MMM cap and made to a price. It just depends what the enthusiast wants and corners can be cut but with compromise. It does not interest me to go down this route however as these cars we are running are works of art!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 13/06/2014 21:40:58
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2014 :  09:09:59  Show Profile
Richard

Sorry if I gave the impression that your caps have increased significantly in price. My comment was that if you wish to buy a new cap, of whatever design, the price you have to pay today is much greater than it was say five years back.

Originality is a matter of taste. Some want exact replicas, others are happy with something close which is 'in the spirit of'. Right now I am undecided what to buy. All the options are still in the frame.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  21:12:22  Show Profile
Thanks for all the responses.

I now have an original dog-bone fuel cap in good nick, securely wired to the upper tank strap bolt; thanks to John James.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000