Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Trailer
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  09:23:22  Show Profile
I'd like to buy a trailer to toe my PA. Has anyone a recommendation.
Regards
Ged

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  10:00:46  Show Profile
I have a Brian James Minno Max trailer ..... Details available from their website. It is just long enough for my PB and is easy to tow etc. they are used extesively for Caterham kit cars. Pistonheads is a good place to look for used ones
robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

jeremy3082

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  10:26:13  Show Profile
Hi Ged, do you live near Oxford? If you do you can use mine if you are happy to store it for me.

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  11:10:02  Show Profile
Nice thought Jeremy, but Ged is in Northumberland!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

jeremy3082

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  11:27:55  Show Profile
Never mind, always happy to try and help out!
Go to Top of Page

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  12:06:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Robin. I checked out Pistonheads - everything sold
Brian James apparently discontinued the Minno Max and replaced it with
the A2 which costs £2300 + vat and delivery late October.
Thanks also Jeremy for your kind offer.
Regards
Ged
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  12:52:26  Show Profile
I have a Brian James Clubman (double axel) for the PB....great buy from them direct in 2008. Think it might have been replaced by their new C2 Blue and C4 Blue range (from £1,279). Need to check that with them.

There are various BJ trailers on Ebay, just checked...a few that look like possibles.

M

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

davidstansbie

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  17:15:53  Show Profile
Have a look at PRG trailers. I have a single axle one with a bed of 11 feet by 5.5-just right for a J or L. It's easy to move on my own and it's only drawback is that it is so quiet that I sometimes forget it's there.

David Stansbie
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  18:27:58  Show Profile
The only further comment I would make and indeed forgot to include in my initial reply is that the minno Max trailer can be a little tricky as the track width of the ramps is only just narrow enough for the PB ...... Whatever trailer you ultimately get do check that your car will fit on the ramps !!! ..... Or be prepared to carry some planks to "bridge the gap"

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  18:42:28  Show Profile
I have previously looked at the Brian James Minnow, the advert stated they are designed to fit in the standard garage. Presumably it would then be possible to park the car on the trailer.

I was thinking of towing the L2 behind the BGT V8 which has been fitted with a tow hitch since new - the owner's wife was a keen yachts woman. Trouble is that the all up weight is probably too high for the B?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  19:17:03  Show Profile
A nice low-loader with small wheels to keep the weight close to the road should serve well.
The trailer should be low anyway due to our low-build cars - in particular the exhaust system is the troublesome part to get over the loading edge.
I think I have somewhere seen a picture of Mike Hawke towing K3007 with his MGB. So it has been done before.

Christian Hoeptner
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  19:24:17  Show Profile
I also use a Brian James double axle clubman bought direct from them and it has been perfect for towing my PA up and down the country. I checked very carefully that the trailer+PA weight was well within the capacity of the car (an old omega 3.2 that I use exclusively for towing!). Even with towing such a small car as the PA it was surprisingly close to the max tow weight even for the omega.

I decided to buy a new one because it was not a lot more than the prices for a second hand one. Plus I think you have to be quite careful buying a second hand trailer from a private seller as they are a favourite for thieves.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  11:24:46  Show Profile
Yes,
We used to tow the K3 (much lighter than std, the body is an "easy" lift for one person) behind the MGC without any problem, though if I recall the way it was all mounted to the car, wich was basically angle iron behind the bumper, feeding loads into beefed up bumper mountings, probably wouldn't pass muster these days.

Rules change though & although you used to be able to do things like tow J2s behind 847cc min-vans & even ERAs behing 1100cc Morris Travellers (yes really!), the weight are a lot more restrictive these days, so it pays to check first.

JH
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  13:39:10  Show Profile
Hello Ged

Just seen your post. Presumably Graeme's trailer wasn't suitable. From rallying experience many years ago I would make a few comments. Don't buy a 2-wheeled trailer - they fishtail too easily which obviously can be lethal and I didn't find the one I had for a while (a Bateson) particularly stable to tow.The best trailer we used was a close-coupled 4-wheeler with fold down ramps which also carried the lights in a vertical position. This was very easy to use and didn't involve manhandling heavy ramps underneath. I think a winch is a must - hand operated will do fine. You need to be able to handle everything on your own if necessary,so corner props and jockey wheels etc. are also a help. A flatbed trailer can be more versatile,particularly if you are carrying different cars (or your bike!).
The Austin 7 magazine I get carries an advert for Graham Edwards Trailers and he makes a nice aluminium flatbed which might take your PA.He is just outside York which is more convenient for us. I'll bring the advert to Corbridge to-morrow when hopefully I'll see you.

David
J 3355
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000