Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Silly me
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  17:55:43  Show Profile
I passed Colin Butchers PA going the other way in West Chiltington this morning so I gave him the usual wave. I then remembered that I was in my Belingo van. Silly me !
Well you made my morning any way Colin.
Graham
PB0602

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 05/08/2014 17:58:37

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  10:18:42  Show Profile
Apologies if I didn't respond Graham - but as you rightly say, I don't often recognise Berlingo drivers. I must say that I get masses of response when I am out and about. Elderly ladies of a certain age smile fondly (obviously remembering past trips in a boyfriend's car), young yobbos in noisy Subaru rally cars, and lots and lots of bikers. They frequently hover about just behind me, obviously taking a good look and then blast past me giving me the "thumbs up". And you wouldn't believe the number of middle aged blokes who come up to me to ask "Is that a TD" ! Never TC - its always "Is that a TD" Very weird. Some get it spot on, or almost spot on - "I like your J2" or "That's a nice PB you have there." Its a marvellous way of making new friends - although not too many young blonde ladies yet. A few smile sweetly, and I can just imagine them thinking "Silly old bxxger - he's much too old for a nice car like that".

Best wishes,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  21:05:50  Show Profile
Agreed.....it's amazing the responses you get. Best I've had is an elderly bloke, jumping to attention and saluting as I drove past. I responded with a quick toot of the horn.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

AlanD

Australia
29 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  10:51:54  Show Profile
You get some really interesting comments here in Oz where our cars are even rarer.
I had a guy pull up at the lights beside my TC, lean out of his 4WD and ask whether it was an MG TD.
When I said no, its a TC he said " no it isn't, it's a TD" wound his window up and drove off as the lights changed!!

Takes all sorts I guess.

Alan
J2 3592
TC 4617
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  14:45:00  Show Profile
I remember overhearing a young lady assure her friend that the TD that had just passed was a Morgan. When I politely pointed out her error, she assured me that I was wrong, because "I know my Morgans"! I've just corrected some idiot on IMDb who assured readers that the car driven by actor Eddie Redmayne in the movie "My Week with Marilyn" was a TC, when it was clearly a PA. Amazing how a little knowledge makes some people think they are experts.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  22:40:52  Show Profile
Hi Colin,

I agree with you, my PB is always a "TD".

I too have no real idea why, except that I used to put it down to the PB's slatted radiator, but this does not apply to your PA grille. However the mis-identification has been absolutely consistent for the last ten years or so. Before then people did make better guesses but now I guess we are all older, rarer and less well remembered.

More ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  09:53:23  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,

Have you got the engine sorted?

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  11:25:51  Show Profile
Hello Andrew,

Yes, this "TD" thing is very weird. I could understand it more if people said "Is it a TC". One possibility is that the people making the remark are usually fairly mature, and might have been of an impressionable age when the TD was first introduced i.e. they were boyhood readers of "The Eagle" comic - which featured a splendid cut-away drawing of the TD in 1950 or so. Still a bit weird - but life is such, is it not. Some years ago, I was strolling along Hove Sea Front with an elderly aunt and as we passed a Porsche 911, she said "Oh look, Colin. There is a car just like yours". My car was my MGB GT. Both cars were black however !

Best wishes,

Colin (Butchers - not the Scottish one)

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 12/08/2014 11:27:11
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  00:07:43  Show Profile
Hi Colin (B),

I am definitely going way off-topic here, but as a "boyhood reader" of The Eagle and certainly then of an impressionable age, I can only wonder what happened to the imprinting upon my mind. One explanation is of course that I could not afford a T-type at the time that I was learning my way into MGs, nor even a six cylinder MMM. Furthermore the bank manager had just turned me down when I requested the balance of £200 that I would have liked to get myself a TR2. So it was that I found myself with a Morgan 4-4 (the coupe two seater body with a Standard engine converted to OHV, which was incidentally the rarest car that I ever owned - one of just six cars with that particular combination). So here we are fifty years on with a fake "TD" and about 50,000 miles behind the partnership

To Colin (M),

Yes all in one piece again and about 800 running-in miles completed since the beginning of June, so that I well and truly missed my time table to get to the Stravaig. All is going reasonably well at the moment except that I seem to be caught in a tuning loop going round and round the ignition timing, carburation fault, plugs and mixture setting cycle. I have had multiple "Aha!!" moments when I thought that I had found the cause(s) only to cough, splutter and misfire again up the last few hundred yards of the 1 in 7 lane leading home. Lynne still does not trust either the car or my mechanical abilities after the Reivers fracas, but I am working on that. Nil Desperandum!

Wilder and wilder ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny

Edited by - ags on 13/08/2014 00:15:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000