Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG J2 gearbox input shaft
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2014 :  16:42:49  Show Profile
Hi,
Been having some problems recently with clutch drag despite lots of re-adjustment. Then a horrible noise and no drive. Having taken it all to bits I find the clutch driven plate splines gone. There is some small damage to the input shaft splines. Are replacement input shafts available?

Jon Marsh

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2014 :  17:11:47  Show Profile
Jon,

It seems to be a well tried and proven technique to weld up and recut the splines on the input shaft. I say "well tried and proven" because having had to have this done done less than 1500 miles ago, my input shaft was, once again, knackered as you can see.

The first time it happened, the clutch plate spines were also wrecked but this time, despite the damage to the input shaft actually being greater, the clutch splines are OK! However while the previous clutch plate was one of the generally available new ones, the one currently in the car is what one might call NOS and was sourced privately for me.

I have been told by several people that, counter-intuitively, in such circumstances it is the harder material that wears the most! On that basis the NOS clutch plate must be softer than the current replacement ones, yet the people who rewelded the input shaft said they'd do it using a harder material. Make of that what you will. Time will tell if they got it right this time or not.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/09/2014 17:13:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000