Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2/F2/L2 Dash mounted Lucas dip/switch
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:34:34  Show Profile
Cat,

While I take your point (now that I understand it!), I think you're being a little harsh to criticise those who have responded to Chris's query. Whether Chris's description of his car is accurate or not doesn't invalidate the discussion about correct switches for J2/F2/L2. Are we supposed to check the provenance of Forum members' cars before commenting on their requests for parts?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:57:02  Show Profile
Oh gosh Cat, I reckon you really have gone the political correctness stuff to far! What Simon says is right, full-stop. If I want to call my MG, 'Jimmy' I will ... but most people wont know what I am talking about (now that would make a change!), so calling one of my MG's an F2 is from my point of view correct ... because that is recognisable and what it will be and not what is was. Don't get me wrong I love nostalgia, history etc but I reckon we should put some of it in the cupboard. I reckon I should stop there ... end of.

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  10:35:46  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

I am in no way dismissing the topic, merely how people generally seem to accept this incorrect way of describing cars.

Cheers
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  10:42:19  Show Profile
Ok, Chris.

Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  10:47:02  Show Profile
Incorrect ! why is it incorrect? ... at the time isn't there evidence to suggest the F2 as we know it today to be the F1, with the 4-seater tourer being the F2.

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:25:51  Show Profile
I agree with Cat. The Triple-M community is a family and even families have rules. Ours are at http://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp

So, for example, take my car. It's a PA, but some time in the distant past it was fitted with a PB engine off another car (i.e. not a late seried P-type factory fitment). It also has a PB-type rear bonnet rest (wood, not ally angle) which I perpetrated in 2000.

But in the eyes of the Register and the said Rules, it is a PA-PB (the 'PB' tag solely denoting the engine aspect). Body changes don't change the fundamental ID of the car ...

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:27:11  Show Profile
May be this helps.
The Lucas Parts Lists 1930-1939 shows that Horn-Dip Switch Lucas Order No 380169, Model No. 17/17DA was fitted to MGs J2, L, K, N, and P Types – see extracts below:

Since the brown variant 17DA was fitted to PB and NB Types (I believe!!), then I presume the earlier J's and PA's were black, Model No.17.

Below, a photo of my PB's yet-to-be-finished brown example:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

littlemtype

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:41:36  Show Profile
Its a very rare switch that bruxe nice to see you have the correct one.
Go to Top of Page

littlemtype

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:55:54  Show Profile
Where possible its best to fit the correct parts to our cars they are worth a lot of money now theres no point in bodging fitting cheaper parts to save money that arnt correct. You can get one of these horn buttons off dave gregory for about £50.
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  12:27:33  Show Profile
In reply to Chris B's query at 08.04am today - the 'milk churn' style switches on my dash operate dash lamps & spot light with the third one planned to operate a cooling fan which as yet I have not fitted.
I have a few of these switches available if anyone needs one, with either black or brown knobs!

Graham R.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000