Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New PA Petrol Tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  14:44:04  Show Profile
I wonder if some has recently got a new Pa Petrol Tank and has any advice where to search for and the cost. The tank I've turned out to be made of brass or bronze alloy (so probably no rust inside) and it leaks trough an old soft soldering (tin) repaired twice in the last four years.
Thanks
Francesco

Drolshagen

Germany
669 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  15:35:26  Show Profile
Hi Francesco,
Steve Gilbert sell petrol tanks for MMM cars in mild or stainless steel.

sjgilbert@hotmail.co.uk

Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  16:13:33  Show Profile
Sports Car Metal Works (01753 654144) also supply tanks for many MG & MMM models.
P Type ones are listed at £450.00 or £528.00 for stainless steel.
I have purchased both J2 and TA ones from them in the last few years and both have been excellent in all respects.
Graham R.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  18:03:19  Show Profile
Hi Francesco

I bought my L2 petrol tank from Steve Gilbert who did a good job.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  17:06:32  Show Profile
Our webmaster quite correctly does not want traders to advertise their wares or services other than through the Traders' area of this website.

The Collingburn boys' posting was moved to that area whereas the VMGP was merely re-badged but not moved. Like all of us, Nick is aware of the need to treat traders fairly and equally so you can expect that he will be be revising/moving the petrol tank reference shortly.

Apologies to anyone who has gained the erroneous impression that the Register is not impartial in dealings with traders. That's not the case at all!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  17:30:36  Show Profile
My apologies for any misunderstanding. I have deleted the offending posts.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  19:08:20  Show Profile
There was no misunderstanding Nick, I completely understood your post and its implication.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  01:27:24  Show Profile
I gather noting my previous post having been deleted, that a parts supplier is no longer allowed to answer a request from an enthusiast in terms of providing helpful information on where he may be able to obtain a specific part from, well providing he does not mention that he may carry the said part in stock. Other enthusiasts can however mention the same supplier I note.

I don't quite follow the logic here as the topic is not being initiated by the parts supplier himself. I personally cannot see why the supplier should be precluded from responding if this can help the enthusiast.

Anyway, I understand generally that quite excellent tanks are also available through J Cook in the UK who can be contacted at jillcook10@gmail.com

Hope this helps Morisani in his quest to find a new tank

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 10/10/2014 01:54:46
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  02:44:29  Show Profile
A request is posted
Replies are made
We should not limit replies to those who have a no apparent financial interest in responding
Had my old tank, which was pinched by an itinerant scrap merchant,
been offered by me for a fair price to the requester would that have been subject to censure ?

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  07:31:48  Show Profile
Robin, but what about those who have parts to offer at 'fair price' and have a financial interest , trader or otherwise.i.e. they are not willing to give their part away for free. I guess this is most of us as most enthusiasts have a financial interest if they are to let parts go.

This would include for instance a response from me offering a gearbox where one is being sought. I don't quite understand as there is no real conflict of interest here, more a service to the enthusiast. All my tanks sell anyway so it does not really matter who has them and my initial response was therefore nothing more than helpful.

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 10/10/2014 07:36:42
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  07:53:49  Show Profile
Following up my previous posting and Rich Hardy's response, I suggest that "traders" should also be taken to include their surrogates.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  08:07:17  Show Profile
Hmm...would you care to define "surrogates", Dick?

And I find it interesting that no one took umbrage (quite rightly in my view) at Graham Runcieman offering to provide dashboards in the thread where Chris Blood was looking for a dip switch (which reminded me that this is on my 'to do' list!). But if Rich Hardy had made the same offer.......?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 10/10/2014 08:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:05:40  Show Profile
Dear Richard,
My reply is supportive of your initial response to the request " where can I find a petrol tank" ...........
Responses from traders to requests are in my mind perfectly appropriate
Regards

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:59:12  Show Profile
I totally agree with Richard & Robin on this one. What is the difference between a fellow forumist saying '' so-and-so can supply what you want'' & that person/company saying '' we can supply what you want''. Anything to assist the person to solve a problem should be acceptable on the forum I feel.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  12:38:28  Show Profile
I should really stay out of this one, but here's my tuppence worth anyway:

I think part of the trouble is in the fact that the Register offers traders the possibility to buy advertising space both in the Bulletin and in the Yearbook. On here they are offered that same opportunity for free, as long as they use the Traders' Forum which was -in my memory- set up for just that reason.

If private people want to praise traders' products and/or work or offer their own surplus parts, then that is of course fine and they are free to do so within the appropriate forums, but if traders themselves want to advertise their ware, I personally think they should do so on the Traders' Forum. If only to avoid advertising clutter within the regular forums. I may be a simpleton, but this seems a simple, fair and easily workable rule to me!

What remains a grey area though is who is a trader and who is not, but I don't think anyone will doubt that Rich is indeed a trader, however helpful and honest his intentions are or might be.

Cheers
Cat

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  14:43:02  Show Profile
Sorry, but I believe there is another gray area (which shouldn't be gray at all, in my mind): That is what is an advertisement and what is not. In my mind, an advertisement is an unsolicited promotion of goods for sale or hire. A response to a call for help should not be construed as an advertisement, period. I fully support Rich and any other member who steps forward in an attempt to help a fellow enthusiast.
Just my $0.02.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000