Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New PA Petrol Tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  15:38:20  Show Profile
Its too much hassle i dont bother advertising here anymore. I once put some stuff in the parts for sale by accident i got a load of abuse. Half the stuff in the parts for sale are by traders anyway. its a rule for one person and different rules for sombody else. So i dont bother anymore.

Edited by - greg on 10/10/2014 15:39:17
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  16:38:51  Show Profile
Hmmm

Lots of acrimony here...

I put it down to Ukip winning their first seat. Heaven knows what the forum will be like if they win another!!!! Anyway you really shouldn't worry, Clapton is at sea level...

P
Green with a green MG
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  18:47:08  Show Profile
Thank you to those who have understood the point I have raised and who have responded positively.

Surely a common sense approach needs to prevail here.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 10/10/2014 18:49:50
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  20:16:30  Show Profile
I totally agree with Rich. He was not advertising just helping someone who was in need of a tank and didn't know where to get one from. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  21:54:54  Show Profile
Likewise I totally agree with Rich.

If you use the search function you will find other instances of the type of response (which I think is helpful) where both Rich and Salt and Vinegar have replied saying they can supply a part, and neither was censored over that. Rightly so, both just being helpful in my book. For example, J2 Oil Filter systems.

John R
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  23:30:20  Show Profile
We are also perhaps more likely to see a helpful tip as to where to get something if it's mentioned within the relevant thread, when that thread is a current one.
Exactly which helpful person mentions it is not important to me....I just need the part!

The Search facility on this website is also really good, though it's rather underused I understand. I heartily recommend it.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  08:32:37  Show Profile
I not taking any sides here, but in my mind an easy option is this.

If the trader is not disillusioned and can still be bothered to help the OP in his request for help after coming up against the red tape.

Then a simple reply stating check out the traders forum and then posting on the traders forum Tanks etc available from me ;-) .

That should please everyone, just a bit more work for the trader.

I understand the for and against posts, but we also have to be careful not to upset people that also have hard to get valuable parts and information and experience.

Finally, as I said, I'm not taking either side and I'm new here so probably should be keeping my thoughts to my self, just trying to help.

I'm not a trader, but I can probably repair the OP's tank and would do so to help keep a car on the road and do so for free. The short time I've been here. I've already received lots of valuable help from members.

I also have to be careful not to upset people further, by taking away their work, but if you can't find anyone to weld something, then I can help. as long as it doesn't involve weeks of work. Any material, although some old alloy castings can cause problems,but let me see it first before you give up.

Admin please feel free to delete this if it's going to offend.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  09:59:49  Show Profile
I'm with Rich on this. Rustcollector's suggestion is a valid compromise if a simple reply to a request for help from a trader is deemed to be advertising. However, I think it is unnecessary.
I think Lew sums it up well:
quote:
In my mind, an advertisement is an unsolicited promotion of goods for sale or hire. A response to a call for help should not be construed as an advertisement, period. I fully support Rich and any other member who steps forward in an attempt to help a fellow enthusiast.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  10:11:27  Show Profile
I'm with Colin and with Lew on this matter.(for what that is worth)
Kind regards
Sven
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  10:22:39  Show Profile
Krikey what a load of fuss about nothing!
I totally agree with Ray, Fred and John above. Rather than deter traders from coming forward in response to postings for information or parts we should be encouraging them and supporting all of them in every way possible. Sounds like we have already driven one very helpful trader away(see Gregs comments above).
They are the life blood of our hobby.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  10:42:34  Show Profile
Has Francesco found his tank ?

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2014 :  08:32:55  Show Profile
I've not found the new tank yet but I've got the information I was looking for and the 3M Register Forum has been, as always, really useful. I think I've to try to save the old tank,if possible, but if this will be impossible, now I Know where to get a new one.
Many thanks to all.
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2014 :  08:41:44  Show Profile
There is one on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121440178786?clk_rvr_id=712823734494

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2014 :  11:54:43  Show Profile
I also support Rich's right to answer a request rather than initiating any exchange re parts for sale. I think Lew puts it very well.

Dave

Have just been away & now realise that Lew's comment is rather history. For clarity it's the one on the previouis page & I will read on!

Edited by - Oz34 on 15/10/2014 11:57:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000