Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cecil Kimber Blue Plaque
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  21:34:16  Show Profile
From the latest Safety Fast in an article about the Blue Plaque unveiled at the Boundary House in recognition of Cecil Kimber's former Abingdon Home:

"Kimber, who was born on April 12 1888, is widely considered by many as the father and inspiration behind the British sports car manufacturer MG" (my emphasis).

Is this what the MGCC has come to?

Simon J
J3437

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  22:01:53  Show Profile
Simon, the New England MG T Register placed a very large bronze plaque on the Boundary House in 1990. I though it was still there. We made it clear who Kimber was. I hope someone can verify that our plaque (my name is on it as the organizer of the Circuit Of Britain 1990) is still there. I don't understand why or where this new plaque was placed on the Boundary House.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  19:51:34  Show Profile
Mike L
I can confirm that the 1990 plaque is still there. I asked Richard Martin a fellow MGCC Director who was at the Blue Plaque event, about it this evening. He sent photos of it in place on the day of the Blue Plaque unveiling.

It should be noted that the Blue Plaque was not erected by the MGCC but by the Oxfordshire Blue Plaque Board. I don't know the source of the wording but I guess it was agreed with Kimber's relatives who attended the ceremony.
George

Edited by - George Wilder on 05/11/2014 19:54:49
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  20:23:28  Show Profile
As can be seen in the photograph in the Safety Fast piece, the blue plaque actually just says " Creator of the MG marque". The words Simon was objecting to are used in the magazine - not on the plaque.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  20:28:40  Show Profile
Quite so! The wording in SF had the fingerprints of an uninformed PR agency!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  22:48:07  Show Profile
thanks George. Glad to know it's still there

Mike L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic