Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Taxes and MOT
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  17:14:41  Show Profile
I would be interested to hear how taxes and MOTīs are dealt with in other countries around the world.

In Germany you can register any vehicle of at least 30 years of age as an historic vehicle and for this there is a fixed road tax of 190 Euro per year, regardless of engine capacity or age.
The MOT is mandatory every two years which can be entertaining with pre war cars without seatbealts and just with rev. counters etc. if it is not your day and being stranded in front of a non-understanding and not vintage-experienced MOT tester. The recored mileage on the instrument has also to appear in the report - difficult, if there is no mileometer...;.

Christian Hoeptner

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  18:10:45  Show Profile
Christian, in UK for cars built before I think 1960 there is no tax payable and no annual inspection [[MOT]. cheers Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  18:17:05  Show Profile
Yes Geoff, and the tax free has now extended. As of last May, my '73 V8 pays none; big change from I think Ģ250 the year before!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  20:25:33  Show Profile
Christian,

You will find more information on the test exemption in the UK here https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/historic-vehicles-mot

As you will see, the UK government decided to take advantage of exemptions provided for in the relevant EU Directive.

Vehicle Excise Duty, on the other hand, is not governed by any EU Directive and the UK decided to implement a 40 year rolling exemption for classic vehicles - see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty-40-year-rolling-exemption-for-classic-vehicles

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  22:02:35  Show Profile
I am also in the happy position of not having to pay tax on my 1973 V8 BGT. The good news for others is that the exemption is now rolling with 1974 cars qualifying to be exempt from next year.

I wonder if the exemption from MOT tests will be extended?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  22:19:01  Show Profile
George,

The MOT exemption is an exemption under EU law for cars manufactured before 1 January 1960. I suspect it's unlikely that the EU will provide for a rolling exemption.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  10:18:08  Show Profile
When we leave the EU, our own Government will be able to make such decisions on our behalf, without having to seek permission from 28 other countries (or whatever the current number is) !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

RH9797

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  10:43:05  Show Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the MOT exemption for cars / motorcycles being brought into line with Historic Commercial Vehicles??

Adam
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  10:52:40  Show Profile
Colin

Gordon Brown made the decision himself, I was listening to his budget speech at the time... He actually referred specifically to cars over 25 years old. The law was implemented by our law makers as referring to cars over 25 years old at the moment he spoke, so no rolling exemptions. None of this anti EU rhetoric here please!!!

If you want a sensible way of doing it you should look at Australia. They had (when I was there 30 years ago, and it may have changed) two systems for taxing your vintage car: if you used it as your everyday car you taxed it as such, if you just used it for club events it was exempt but could only be used on club events.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  11:29:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

When we leave the EU, our own Government will be able to make such decisions on our behalf, without having to seek permission from 28 other countries (or whatever the current number is) !

Colin B.

Absoluuuutely!!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  16:03:29  Show Profile
In Sweden for my PB there is a Registration fee of about 6 punds per year, no yearly tax and no MOT after the registration MOT. Full insurance for a value of 30,000 punds is about 50 pounds. Fire extinguisher and main current switch is mandatory for the insurance + max 5000 km/year + you have to have another car registered and used for daily transport.

I believe the age limit (of the car) for these rules is 30 years here too.

So it seems the rules differ in the EU...

Jan Widung
PB 0635
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  16:51:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Widung
So it seems the rules differ in the EU...

The EU only gets involved in the matter of vehicle testing - taxes of whatever sort for cars and the arrangements for insurance for vintage/classic cars in the member states are matters for the member states concerned.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  18:59:01  Show Profile
Thanks for the information - having a look "over the edge" is always interesting! But how is this situation in the States or in Australia?

Christian Hoeptner
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  19:43:34  Show Profile
Peter L, I don't think that is quite correct. I assume you are talking about the free tax disc (or no disc!) and not the MOT.

MOT went after Gordon had departed; my recollection is that the free disc had been introduced, on a rolling 25 year basis before the Gordon/Tony era and what Gordon did was freeze it at 1972 production, just squeezing out George and myself with our '73 V8s.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 24/11/2014 19:44:20
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  21:14:43  Show Profile
Ah yes... concentrating on undertrays... and a touch of senility!

Yes it was the tax wasn't it. Still, the Aussies still have the best scheme or did, you MOT'd the thing and when you paid for that you paid for the tax and basic insurance all in the one payment and received in return a transfer to stick on the windscreen. So it was a one stop shop, no chasing round to the insurance man and losing your cheque book on the way to the post office and then wondering where you ahd put the MOT certificate.... I have to say it is better here now that you can do it on line...

Back to sleep now...

P
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  23:43:06  Show Profile
The laws vary from state to state in the US. Here in the frozen north of Minnesota, the licensing is a one-time charge of $20 which gets you plates for the life of the car or owner, whichever comes first. There are two primary categories of license plates - Pioneer for pre-1936 cars, and Collector for anything else over 25 years old. There are a few variations of Collector, for example Street Rod, but the rules are the same. Limited use for occasional pleasure use and club activities. Get caught driving to and from work regularly will attract the attention of the police and draw a hefty fine.

Insurance varies between companies, but the typical charge is $7 per $1000 per annum for collision and liability which limits mileage to 2500 miles per year. No racing is allowed.

Annual inspection (MOT) is not required any more on any car.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 24/11/2014 23:44:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000