Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PA0560- seeking history and registration number
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PAMetcalf

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  18:58:45  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

I introduced myself earlier this spring when I acquired a J2 frame. Since then I have acquired a PA that is a running car and a much more reasonable project. I have received the chassis file from the club office.

The chassis file reveals that the car was blue/blue with aluminum wheels. It originally went to Freddie Dixon as a demonstrator. It was sold after about 6 months at the Park Garage.

For most of its early life it was owned by a Mr. Downs of the Duke of York Inn, Skirlaugh.

I really want to learn the history of this car. I think a good starting point for this would be to find the original registration number. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be done? There is a good amount of correspondence in the chassis file but the reg. number is not noted anywhere.

I look forward to your expert thoughts and thank you in advance.

Cheers from Ohio,

Phillip Metcalf

PA0560
J3440

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  23:13:10  Show Profile
Hi Phillip

Congratulations on buying PA0560.

Unfortunately the car is not listed in the current printed Register.

I note you are from Ohio, are you by any chance related to Tom Metcalf?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

PAMetcalf

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  01:47:03  Show Profile
Hi George,

I am very related to him, he is my dad! I would like to make a witty comment but I suspect that he may see this post!

Thanks for checking the Register.

Phillip
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  09:54:18  Show Profile
Have you tried contacting The Duke of York? It still exists.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

PAMetcalf

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  03:27:28  Show Profile
Hi Matthew,

I contacted the owners. It appears the the Duke of York has changed ownership several times. She said she would let me know if anything ever came about!

Thanks for the thoughts,

Phillip
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  08:15:18  Show Profile
If it was Freddie Dixon of Riley fame he was from Middlesbrough . Don't know if any council records exist for that area?
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  10:09:02  Show Profile
Oliver and Phillip
According to the the Kithead Trust
MIDDLESBROUGH
Cleveland County Archives, Exchange House, 6 Marton Rd, Middlesbrough, TS1 1DB (01642 248321)
Registers 1904-19 (cars DC 1- 823), 1904-15 (m/c DC 1 - 732) and 1937-47 (XG 4600-9109)

It appears records for the J2 period are missing but worth checking.

I had to search the Essex records with my motorcycle frame number knowing it was registered there to find the registration - took most of a day for the period
George

Go to Top of Page

PAMetcalf

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  23:18:57  Show Profile
Thanks for your input everyone! I will see what they say. I assume they were registered from the dealership?

The main agent is listed as Frank Scott, being sold from famed Riley driver Freddie Dixon's Park Garage where it served as a demonstrator.
F.H. Robinson of Whitby, Yorks purchased the car from Dixon October 14, 1934.
Records show by August 23, 1934 a Mr. Downs from the Duke of York Inn, Hull, owned the car. Records from him continue through September 23, 1948.
What are the odds that the registration number would be the same from first ownership through 1948?

Hopeful,
Phillip
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:49:54  Show Profile
Phillip
In the UK it is normal practice for the registration to stay with the car for its whole life -it is the car that is registered.
However there is the facility to transfer registrations between cars which whilst more common today, was quite rare in the 1930s and 1940s.
Oliver mentioned that Freddie Dixon was in Middlesborough but where was Frank Scot's garage?. It was not unknown for the main agent to register cars before passing them to agents so it could have been registered elsewhere and maybe records still exist, maybe.
George
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000