Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG M Wheels/spokes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2006 :  19:27:15  Show Profile
I need help to solve a problem with my MG M wheels.
I need new spokes and nipples on my wheels. But I need to know this:
Are there any difference between front and rear wheels, when talking about sizes and thickeness of spokes.
Some says that I need 4 different types of spokes, 2 for the front wheel and 2 for the rear wheels.
But my 14 old wheels have only thick and short inner spokes and long and thin outer spokes. What's correct

mgm 1930 mgm 1931

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2006 :  22:57:14  Show Profile
All your wheels should have the same thickness of spokes - in the case of M-types it is of 7 gauge. All front and back wheels should be the same. There are, however, two different varieties of wheel that have different types of wheel centre. [there are actually more than this, but that is the basic difference]. The smaller wheel centres were originally on early cars and the large centres on later cars.
If you are having problems sourcing new spokes or even needing your wheels rebuilt I can help you with this.
You can contact me by e-mail on tony@margel.freeserve.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  20:09:19  Show Profile
Hi Tonym,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I think I'll send my wheels to england for a respoke at Richard Bros. And it looks like I have the correct wheels.

7 gauge is 5,5 mm , right??

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  08:14:15  Show Profile
Tony Margel will do an excellent job for you. He has rebuilt many MG wheels for me in the past. Your choice, but I'd certainly compare prices first.
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  15:51:04  Show Profile
Will second kimber's remarks about Tony Margel. He has done several wheels for me, all a first rate job.

Eric Taylor
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  20:41:01  Show Profile
Hi Eric and Kimber,

Thanks for your proposals. I have now send an email to Tonym.

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  18:43:35  Show Profile
Ehh I have now found out that my wheels are for a later M type.
So now I'm seaking wheels for my early 1930 M type.

Do any of you have wheels in spare? Or know someone who does?
Or at least the hubs that fits?

I don't have much info about sizes or anything. Only that it should be the smallest hubs for M types.

:)

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  19:08:15  Show Profile
Unless your priority is total originality, I should keep the later wheels as they are stronger. If you want early wheels you will find plenty of people happy to swap/part exchange with you.
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  20:02:32  Show Profile
Thanks for the info ... hmm I guess I'll keep the stronger wheels untill now. Maybe later I will find some of the older ones too.

Regards
Jorgen

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  05:40:41  Show Profile
Team,
can anyone define "Smaller" versus "Larger" as describing the wheel centers for early versus later cars? What diameter would those respective wheel centers be?

I have also seen wheel centers that cup shaped with a lip where the spokes would attach. To describe: if this wheel was taken off and laid on the ground with the lug nuts facing up, the wheel center would be like a bowl that could hold water. Other wheel centers I have seen taper down from the hub to the mounting surface at the brake drum. To describe: If this wheel was taken off and laid on the ground lug nuts up, water would run off the wheel center. So which wheel is early versus late? I have the former type (centers like cups) on my car which is supposedly a '31 car.

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  08:14:53  Show Profile
The later/stronger/better/more desirable wheels (unless originality is the main consideration) are those with the bigger centres i.e. they have an extra 'return' on the hub pressing at the point where the spokes attach. (If I understand you correctly, that is the type you have). The other type of centres are fine for 'normal' use, but the late-type wheels are less prone to failure in competition use.

Edited by - kimber on 15/11/2006 08:17:58
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  14:56:28  Show Profile
I have a full set of early wheels (that I have not used!!) that I would be happy to swop for a set of later wheels (my cars are abused on the track)

Richard

Edited by - rbm on 15/11/2006 14:57:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000