Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 De Luxe Instruments
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  23:08:11  Show Profile
The experts probably sorted this out long ago but, while the standard and 'de luxe' J2 dash lay outs seem to be clearly established the 'de luxe' instruments seen today seem to vary from car to car.

Can anyone share any close up pictures of the factory fitted clock(s) and temperature gauge(s)?

I have been looking at lots of internet images but they are mostly very low definition and not informative.

Are there any good quality period photographs? I have only ever seen one but it is not necessarily a typical car.

Sam

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2015 :  07:13:53  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

Being new to MMMs I also need help to identify correct instruments, I am lucky that my dismantled J2 arrived from Cyprus with all original instruments unmolested and original, in fact I now realise that one of my two original gauge clusters has probably got a pre-production test MG badge on it, which is extremely rare. For me Patrick Henry has been extremely helpful and obliging, he has a vast knowledge of the instruments that would have adorned early MGs, I am sure he would be able to assist you.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2015 :  09:30:03  Show Profile
Would it be possible to see a close up picture of your instruments Chris?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2015 :  11:29:00  Show Profile
Sexting?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  00:53:48  Show Profile
Chris by "de Luxe" instruments I mean only the clock (A) and the radiator thermometer (B), as mentioned in the J manual.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  02:48:46  Show Profile
Hello Sam, The gauges that came with my J2 are not like the ones in your picture. The clock is 3" diameter with a flat glass and the water temp very different, the dial is black and does not look anything like the pictures. The only person who could have helped was Michael Bird, the late previous owner, his widow has found loads of other spares that she was not aware of and I have arranged the shipping back to the UK. It would appear that one of the two J2s that Michael Bird owned was a very early, even pre-production model going by the cluster which has this special MG button. I am advised that this was a pre-production / special item.The two J2s were totally dismantled, parts from both cars are mixed together. Sorry I may have misled you, but thought what I had was original.

Chris ( J2353 )

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  07:22:25  Show Profile
Interesting that the temp gauge appears to have originally had a white face whereas they are almost invariably black on rebuilt cars.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  07:47:59  Show Profile
I recall reading an article - perhaps by one of the old hands from Abingdon? - in which it was said that the white faced gauge seen in the instruction manual was as a result of it being the only one available when the photographs were being taken and that all gauges actually fitted as part of the De Luxe package were black faced.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/02/2015 07:48:34
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  09:17:37  Show Profile
De Luxe equipment was the 2 inch black faced clock as shown in the manual photo above and a standard Jaeger 2 inch black faced 100 degree thermometer. I understand just a few early cars were fitted with white faced thermometers originally. As Simon says probably all that they had available at the time.

TH
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  13:36:41  Show Profile
Attached are the gauges that came with my J2 from Cyprus. They look in good condition and I brought them back in my luggage last visit to Cyprus. Michael Bird may have restored them, I don't know. Also attached the J2, now starting to unpack from its crates in preparation for its rebuild.

On closer inspection did centigrade gauges exist for the J2 ?

Chris ( J2353 )

Edited by - MG Maverick on 17/02/2015 13:42:07
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  14:06:35  Show Profile
Chris, thanks for the excellent pictures. I have spotted another J2 with a very similar black faced Jaeger thermometer.

This is an off white gauge (below) of roughly the same period ( I think). The argument that the gauge was intended to be black is very convincing but it would be nice to see more evidence from the period.This one might end up with a black face.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 17/02/2015 14:09:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000