Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Who makes new MG M Bodies!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  15:06:58  Show Profile
The body delivery photo gives a very clear side view of the tail.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  20:34:37  Show Profile
Thinking back, I looked at several M-types at Silverstone in 2005, and just copied the curve of the one I liked the look of best... as I recall, it was the one with the strongest droop. To give some idea of how cameras can distort matters, look at http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~adn24/DSCF0044.JPG - the boot may look high and bulky, but I can assure you that 'in the flesh', it curves gently down more than 4 inches! To judge things more accurately, draw a line from the top of the scuttle to the highest point of the boot lid and trace it back to see how far below that point the rear edge of the boot lid is.

I've not fitted a heel tray in my footwell, largely because I don't think I'd gain anything significant. The brake rod beneath doesn't leave enough room! Also, the rod gives the least room where it seems that the space would be the most useful. I may change my mind once the car is on the road...

PS If you're wondering, yes, the bottom edge of my dash is the wrong shape. It's a copy of the (genuinely old) dashboard that I got with the car. Who am I to let originality concerns destroy a car's history - especially when it's so much prettier than standard

Edited by - Alex on 15/11/2006 20:38:30
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  07:26:16  Show Profile
Mr. Norman, do have any other restoration photos of your '30 MGM? I scrounged your site and found one front view to compliment the rear voew you shared here. Would be very interested to see more if you have them posted anywhere. Regards, Tom

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  15:20:45  Show Profile
I've added a few photos of the body during construction, with long titles to explain relevant points! They're linked to from my website, or go to http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~adn24/M-pics/.

Some other oddities that people might notice:
- a few bits of wood have small but noticeable grooves in them. They are bits of oak that we had lying around, for panels where the flexibility of ash was not needed!
- The photos were taken before we fitted small blocks to 'round' off the corners in the bottom of the tail where the rear chassis covers fit to it
- the recess in the body for the rear wing has ended up much shallower than usual; this was after a load of head-scratching, in which I concluded that some of the patterns/bits of firewood that I had were from cars with slightly narrower bodes than the others!

None of my car's original body survived - I was dependant on sketches from Barry Dean, floor patterns from Andy King, a load of original firewood from a rebodied M-type, Sam Christie's photos and a hoard of photographs of both Brian Bowles' complete M and Richard Davies' conveniently 'exploded' example!

The good news: I fully expect to be out in it by this coming Spring, ready for gentle breaking in to Autotests, rallies and general holiday usage...

Edited by - Alex on 16/11/2006 15:25:34
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  20:18:13  Show Profile
Excellent Photos - I have archived them as I suspect they will provide useful information for me in the future! You have made some excellent progress. Thanks. Tom

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  21:07:23  Show Profile
Great pics Alex, can I publish them as well? I have been thinking of getting some pictures up of my car in progress, Anybody else sending me pictures of their cars would be most appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  10:43:09  Show Profile
Feel free to copy the photos to your own page - but include a mention of who took them, and a link to my own page!

Edited to add: I've just spotted that the photos were taken before we realised that we'd made a massive blooper. The front edge of the boot is in the same plane as the rear bulkhead (the bit at the bottom behind the seat back) - in actual fact, the boot must start a few inches further back, to enable the boot to open with the seats in place. Fortunately, we spotted this before we covered the lid in plywood, so it wasn't too hard to put right!

Edited by - Alex on 17/11/2006 13:58:17
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  16:36:24  Show Profile
thanks Alex,

I had great fun with the long names, they may have caused my download file to corrupt, ( anybody else get the same problem if they saved a few to hard disk?)

anyway thanks again,
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  20:27:29  Show Profile
Hi Jorgen,

Steve's email address: sjgilbert@hotmail.co.uk

Regards

F0993 F1 Tourer
Red and Rough but Running
Go to Top of Page