Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 "Quote"
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  23:47:31  Show Profile
Am I the only one who finds the growing tendency to post "Quote" followed by someone else's previous post and with no additional comment rather tedious? All it does is lengthen a thread to absolutely no purpose; or have I missed something?

Dave

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  10:04:36  Show Profile
Yes Dave so do I. waste of time and space.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  14:54:12  Show Profile
Thanks Fred. Glad to know I'm not entirely on my own!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  15:00:48  Show Profile
I must admit I have always assumed that when this happens, it's by mistake. But sometimes you'll find that the person making the quote has made their comment "inside" the quote where it's easily missed.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  16:37:47  Show Profile
Why not in that case just make the comment? But Simon, I do look very carefully for the pearl of wisdom and yes, occasionally there is one, but frequently nothing.

I have to confess, try as I might, I've never seen one in the body of the quote; that surely would be asking for it to be missed? It might also be seen as trying to put words into the mouth of the person you are quoting.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  21:09:42  Show Profile
I think you'll find that there are two ways of replying to a posting: First you can "reply with quote" which is triggered by clicking on the icon just above the message that you're replying to. I think it's the fourth icon from the left.

To avoid the tiresome (to some) quote being repeated, a better approach is to select the "Reply to Topic" link which you can find above and below the thread pane. That way you generate a 'clean' reply without the quote.

Try it and see if I'm right!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  22:01:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

I think you'll find that there are two ways of replying to a posting: First you can "reply with quote" which is triggered by clicking on the icon just above the message that you're replying to. I think it's the fourth icon from the left.

To avoid the tiresome (to some) quote being repeated, a better approach is to select the "Reply to Topic" link which you can find above and below the thread pane. That way you generate a 'clean' reply without the quote.

Try it and see if I'm right!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  22:04:39  Show Profile
I see what you mean Dick and, as you will see, I have made no comment on that reply at all. It is this, which seems to be happening with increasing frequency that I, and it would seem at least Fred Gauci find somewhat wearing, not to say pointless!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  22:12:42  Show Profile
Do you want me to remove the "Reply with quote icon" (assuming I can)
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  22:27:25  Show Profile
Speaking personally Nick, yes please. However so far only Fred has expressed similar feelings so perhaps it's a little early for that?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  22:51:53  Show Profile
I can see the point of replying to an earlier post with a quote as sometimes the topic tends to drift from the original question but, to just post a quote without a reply and then send a reply in another post directly after to me is just pointless.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  23:11:21  Show Profile
Oz34 - agreed!
John R
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  23:17:07  Show Profile
Remember this forum software is used for many different subjects and with some I can see the point. Our topics tend to be much shorter and do not generally result in pages of inane likes or dislikes etc. (thankfully!). The "Reply with Quote" is rarely used and I suspect most uses are simply a mistaken click. If there is a feeling that we do not need this facility, then why not remove it? (I could always put it back if a "Bring back the reply with quote" petition was presented to the Committee!).
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  23:43:18  Show Profile
As a moderator on very popular motoring forum, I find most folk like the option to be able to reply with a quote; usually it's when referring to something posted on a completely different page of the same thread.

While I too find quotes for no apparent reason a frustration I strongly feel that the option should be left available.

I can only think that inserted quotes for no reason are in fact, in error

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Dowson

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  08:18:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Max Headroom

As a moderator on very popular motoring forum, I find most folk like the option to be able to reply with a quote; usually it's when referring to something posted on a completely different page of the same thread.

While I too find quotes for no apparent reason a frustration I strongly feel that the option should be left available.

I can only think that inserted quotes for no reason are in fact, in error

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

I thought I'd try a quote with an added comment. THis certainly worked in the preview pane.

Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  08:29:16  Show Profile
Doesn't a copy and paste technique within inverted commas, have the same effect but only reproduces the relevant sentence, and not the whole reply.
It is the repeated photos that annoy me more, requiring lots os scrolling.
"All it does is lengthen a thread to absolutely no purpose"
"All it does is lengthen a thread to absolutely no purpose"

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000