Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 1935 Le Mans PA cars - photo
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  20:34:47  Show Profile
At a recent antique fair I bought an A5 size photo of 3 MG Midgets lined up on a concrete track with at least 2 lady drivers and a small crowd of spectators including George Eyston. The cars are
JB 6156 JB 6157 and what appears to be JB 6158 (although the number is partly obscured). These are the all-ladies PA team which took part in the 1935 Le Mans entered by privately by George Eyston and successfully completed the race.
I do not think the photo is actually taken at Le Mans as it looks more like a posed publicity photo and there are no competition numbers on the cars. Perhaps beforehand at Brooklands?
I have not seen the photo before,but there is a photo of one of the cars and the team at p126 of MG by Wilson McComb.
Anybody got any more information? If there is interest I will try and post the photo when I have worked out how! And presumably Nick can then move this post to the correct section!

David

J 3355

Edited by - David R on 02/01/2016 20:40:42

colintf

United Kingdom
1501 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  09:59:50  Show Profile
That sounds like a great find David :)

Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5) and a big prewar MG fan, who would love to own one.
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  10:28:44  Show Profile
David, The story of Eyston's "Dancing Daughters" (apparently Eyston loathed the name !) was described in the 2001 Yearbook in an article by Graham Arrondelle on all the M.G. cars which raced at Le Mans, and then told more fully in the 2004 Yearbook in an article by Malcolm Green. Both essential reading for admirers of the Dancing Daughters.

JB 6157 became quite a famous car in the development of road racing in the US in the hands of Miles Collier. and is now in the Collier Museum in Florida.

JB 6158 lived in the U.S. for many years,but came back home to the U.K. a couple of years ago and is now in France, I believe. JB 6156 was much used by Reg Andrews in the years up to 1939 in trials and speed hill-climbs but has not been seen since that time.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  13:08:17  Show Profile
David
The photograph needs to be in jpg format (most scanners produce that), click on the reply to topic icon (bottom right), do not use the "Quick reply". Enter any text then beneath the box where you entered text, you will see a paperclip icon. Click on that, a box will open, click on "Browse" and navigate to the picture on your computer. Click on "Attach image" and the program will do the rest. Once you have attached the picture I will move the topic for you.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  13:32:33  Show Profile
Thanks Nick,but that's not the problem. The photo is A3 not A5 as I incorrectly stated and too big for my scanner. I'll try and photograph it but it is already a copy taken from a motor sport archive and I may lose definition.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  13:41:46  Show Profile
Just googled Dancing daughters and this image comes up. Sounds like the Same one??? Think it was doing the rounds in Facebook a few months back

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  14:10:20  Show Profile
Mark

That is the photo I have at A3 size. I was just about to post a photo of it but you have done the job for me! Thanks.

Perhaps Nick will now shift the whole topic to its correct place.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  15:46:22  Show Profile
Location is the Railway Straight at Brooklands. You can see the railway embankment in the background.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  13:02:44  Show Profile
David
So moved
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  17:24:15  Show Profile
A friend of mine visited the Collier Revs Institute Museum in Naples, Florida last October and took the attached photo of the ex Le Mans PA, re-bodied following an argument with a taxi,and named Leonides.

The photo was taken with a mobile phone so the quality is not too good.

The museum has the most fantastic collection of cars including many very historic Porches - it can be viewed on line.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 04/01/2016 17:26:56
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  18:47:25  Show Profile
This same Collier PA along with the Collier K3 was kindly brought to the NAMMMR national meet at Watkins Glen in 2014. I'll post photos as soon as I can get to my ailing computer where the photos are stored.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  12:25:36  Show Profile
Here is a nice picture of "Leonidis" in colour. If you do a Google search on "Mark Savory - just having fun" and click on the "Leonidis" picture, you will find five pages of stuff about the car.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  13:27:35  Show Profile
Yes, the Collier Bros were early MG aficionados and the only appointed pre-War MG agent for the USA. Based in New York. Have this interesting item to show this, from a rather unusual MG PB brochure, the Export Preliminary Sales Brochure. This was stamped on it along with the US prices for the new cars.
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  17:14:54  Show Profile
The PA's were then used in the Torquay Trial with Nash, Kindell and Lewis Welch. But who was in which car? Nash was in JB6158. (See Works MG's p137)
As regards the Collier car there was a picture in the piece on Lewis Welch in Feb 2011 SF. Here are some more!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  22:11:44  Show Profile
Dancing Daughter enthusiasts will be pleased to know that JB6158 is very much alive and well as on behalf of the new owner I recently carried out an inspection of this car to enable the DVLA to re-unite the registration number with the car.
Sorry no photographs or details as I was asked not to divulge them at the time.

Bob Milton.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000