Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG pictured at 1932 Lands End Trial -What is it?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2016 :  22:53:27  Show Profile
This image is LAT Plate B7807.

Can anyone identify the Midget in this image taken at the 1932 Lands End Trial. It is known via Cowbourne that this is A J Arber's Midget (comp. no. 124) but which model is it? Is it a D Type? This car has rear hanging doors.

This picture appears towards the foot of the Pre-war Minor home page at www.prewarminor.com in the fascinating Triple M Corner feature.

Ted Hack suggests it might be Jarvis F ( or possibly the special bodied D) see D0259 on their survivors page mgdgroup.org or F976 on the F Magna site in ‘gallery’ then ‘further pictures of this car’.

This request for information comes from Chris Lambert (Pre War Minor Network) via Ted Hack (MG D Group) .

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 21/05/2016 23:00:14

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2016 :  07:16:39  Show Profile
If his initials were J.A. and not A.J., my guess is that it's D0360, a Jarvis bodied car.

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2016 :  08:47:38  Show Profile
Thanks Cat. If it is as you D 0360 as you suggest it is a survivor currently in Luxembourg.I am sure the owner will be delighted with such a great period picture of his car.

I have taken the liberty of borrowing this image from the excellent MG D Group site. http://mgdgroup.org/survivors2.html

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 22/05/2016 08:48:11
Go to Top of Page

AVP342

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2016 :  20:00:17  Show Profile
Cathelijne.

I am intrigued to know if Chris Lambert is any relation to A J Lambert who drove my PA AVP 342 in trials in the 1930's with some success.
Any idea?
Derek Moore
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2016 :  20:47:15  Show Profile
Hi Derek,

I haven't a clue really! He is registered on here as 'semisport', so he has probably seen your post too and might be able to tell?

Good luck!
Cat
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2016 :  21:23:33  Show Profile
Derek - No such claim to fame I'm afraid. Thanks Cat and Sam for helping to identify the D Type Jarvis special.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

jarvis

Luxembourg
2 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  12:35:33  Show Profile
D0360 was sold through Jarvis of Wimbledon and registered PJ320); it was originally fitted with a Jarvis body and several extras: ENV gearbox, Powerplus 6A supercharger, special instruments, 4.89 ratio diff, ...
In february 1932 the first owner is Mr. J A Arber from Chigwell/Essex; he had a business, “W I Arber LTD”, Portland House, 4 Great Portland Street, Oxford Circus, London; as Great Portland Street was the” mecca” of the automobile industry, one would be tempted to think that his business was also related.
This quite expensive car won (only!) a Silver Award in the 1932 London-Land’s End Trial. Mr. Arber gained a Gold Award in 1931 in a Triumph. Unfortunately, the Midget failed at “Dunkery Beacon” and “Beggar’s Roost”! Mr. Arber complained about this mishap at the Works ; the Works named a few probable reasons for misfiring: poor plugs, wrong petrol, weak mixture. After one year of ownership Mr. Arber sold the car!
D0360 saw quite a large number of owners prewar (of which 2 RAF Wing Commanders) and experienced several cranks!
The car was last heard of when one L E Thames from High Wycombe made a request in 1960 at the Works about the history of the car; then the car found its way to the States to the “Verbiesen Collection”.
If somebody could fill in some more history!?

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  19:37:48  Show Profile
An interesting story and all credit to Chris Lambert for finding the image and taking the trouble to follow it up. I am sure any one of us would be delighted to have such a fine period picture of his (or her) car.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 23/05/2016 19:39:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000