Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG ATF 258
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisr

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2020 :  13:29:20  Show Profile

I have acquired several photos of my Grandfather who was a Hurricane pilot during WW2...he owned an MG and here is a picture of him with his car shortly before he was killed in action, on the back its says "me and the MG 1941". I have a couple of letters he he wrote home and he refers to the car ..I typed the registration into google..and was surprised when the following appeared.
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=13664
This couldnt possibly be the same car?? If it is does anyone know how I could get in touch with the owner, maybe he would be in interested in the history.

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2020 :  14:38:26  Show Profile
Chris, welcome to the Forum - and what an interesting topic you have selected for your debut - and a delightful picture, too.

According to the Factory records ATF 258 was a PB midget, chassis number PB0566 originally supplied in March 1936 to the Lancashire County Constabulary. It was finished in th customary black paint as used by the police for these cars and had blue upholstery.

As far as we know the car ended up in Victoria, Australia and we have a few recent pictures of it down under.

These seem to display a close similarity to your picture.

If owner Andrew Barnett or Aussie registrar Marguerite Morgan see this posting maybe they can add more detail as our own info aboutthe car and its journey to Australia is very thin!

As regards the registration marks 258 and 253, 3s and 8s can be easily mistaken, especially if looking at an old, blurred photo taken from the side..

Here we have a recent pic of PB0704 - ATF 253, photographed at the Prescott Hill Climb 9 years ago.

PS

Incidentally, both cars started life with the Lancs Constabulary!

I'm sure this story has legs!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 28/11/2020 14:45:56
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2020 :  14:51:00  Show Profile
Going back to the previous thread, trafficators and windscreen certainly suggest P Type, probably the 12 inch brakes as well, but that rad definitely looks F/L to me. The fore & aft width at the bottom is much greater than the top.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 28/11/2020 14:52:23
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2020 :  15:57:15  Show Profile
Rad is L Type but windscreen etc is P.

The L had the same supports as the J, ie vertical (ish) whilst the P had horizontal...

My verdict P not L
Go to Top of Page

Sbarnett86

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  22:23:10  Show Profile
Hi Chrisr, My father is the current owner of this car and is wanting to contact you. I will send you a message to exchange emails!
Go to Top of Page

Sbarnett86

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  22:28:23  Show Profile

Hi Chrisr, My father is the current owner of this car and is wanting to contact you. I will send you a message to exchange emails!
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  05:09:29  Show Profile
Andrew B bought the car in the UK in the '60's . He just asked me to scan some photo of this car that were sent by a previous owner many years ago....

Andrew

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000