Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L0375
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

KevinA

New Zealand
670 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  00:31:21  Show Profile
Sorry Rich. Definitely not a Triumph

br]

[

It's a Vauxhall 14/6 DX

Edited by - KevinA on 10/07/2023 00:36:17
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  08:05:06  Show Profile
Gosh, I stand to be corrected! They look so similar and I use to have one of the TR engines!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  09:18:28  Show Profile
I am no expert on these engines but there is an invoice in the pile of documents relating to a rebuild of a Standard Vanguard engine which if I remember rightly was from where the TR engine derived. Could that be relevant?
Keith
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  10:03:15  Show Profile
The late Triumph two litre six used in the Vanguard Six and TR5 has the plugs and distributor on the other side Keith.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  10:53:14  Show Profile
Ah, thanks Bob. I am older and wiser now!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  14:54:15  Show Profile
According to the paperwork included in the listing, the previous owner wanted 60 quid for it. Seems a reasonable asking price... (especially if getting an MoT is as sure fire a bet as suggested)

I must be mad, but I love the look of this car. *Luckily* I have far too many car projects on the go at the moment, so in the parlance of the "Lion's Den" - I am out.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  15:21:09  Show Profile
Rob,
I have been thinking since the start of this thread that this is a very interesting example showing the life of one of our beloved Triple M cars as it would have been at the end of its "second" life. It is my belief that probably most of our cars that are around today would have been in a similar state before we rebuilt them to be the shining "original" examples we mostly have today. The streets used to be filled with cars like this one in the 1950s and 60s and most of them were poorly home made bodies trying to keep what was once a nice car on the road when it had already started to fall apart. The engines started failing first and were regularly replaced with less interesting but more reliable Ford ones and the bodies weren't far behind the engines in their state of detioration. I think this example looks as though the "hardtop addition"was well made and I am guessing whatever the engine it now has was a cheaper replacement for the original that had probably failed. I find it very interesting and would restore it as it is. It wouldn't be worth as much in monetary value when done but would be a richer piece of history in my humble opinion.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2023 :  15:37:21  Show Profile
I'd be tempted to do the same Keith - I actually quite like the hard top style that someone has managed to craft. The period F1 stickers are nice examples of that "second life" you mention. I'd probably want to fit an original(ish) engine and transmission though. However, I am strangely finding the steel wheels aesthetically quite pleasing - perhaps the original wire wheels had been buckled or the spokes snapped/corroded? I suspect another example of "mend and make do".

It is an interesting car that had clearly lived a life.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  15:58:14  Show Profile
What is the value of a car in this sort of condition? I keep looking at the pictures and feeling that I would love to give it some love (I am a hopeless automotive romantic)

My wife, however, would likely shoot me!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  16:10:50  Show Profile
Close on bare chassis value plus the rad. It will probably find a naive bidder who thinks they are getting more than what they are. You could add the value of the axles, steering box and brakes but only assuming they are correct. Negative side is, there is no paperwork with it.

Somebody will no doubt pay way too much!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 13/07/2023 16:12:34
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  16:28:06  Show Profile
I think you're right Rich - I am sure I am not the only one who is a hopeless romantic, falling for some beautifully taken pictures of a complete basket case with the wrong mechanicals... The way I look at this is that it would be a blank canvass for whatever project direction you had in mind (in my mind a four-seater tourer, but not necessarily to standard specification).
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  17:31:09  Show Profile
Parts availability these days is becoming impossible to resurrect some of these basket cases. Not helped of course by enthusiasts dying off and car values falling.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2023 :  11:05:26  Show Profile
People are still building "racers" out of better candidates for restoration/preservation than this. Most of the special parts required for such projects are available, and concerns over originality less such as the use of "T" type axles.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2023 :  11:05:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

One awaits the detailed description with trepidation!

Now added but doesn't add much:
https://auctions.hampsonauctions.com/auction/lot/55-1933-mg-l1-magna-four-seat-tourer/?lot=1227
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2023 :  11:08:47  Show Profile
They rather gloss over the fact that it doesn’t have the correct engine and gearbox!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000