Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Powerplus S/C
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martin Barrett

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2023 :  07:40:23  Show Profile
I would like to find all the parts to fit a Powerplus No9. S/C to my early K type.
The S/C is only one part of the complete assembly and at this stage I have no original parts at all.

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2023 :  20:44:40  Show Profile

Hello Martin.
What is missing?
Do you have a No 9 Powerplus?
Has it a gearbox?
The mounting plates are simple and I can send you a drawing as they are the same for all sizes.
The oil pump could be replaced by an Arnot system feed with calibrated orifice.
Manifolds etc can be made as they were fabricated from sheet steel.
The challenge with the 'Powerplus' is that it is quite complex inside and needs to be lubricated generously.
Oil under pressure is fed to the pump via a valve connected to the throttle. This ensures that on overrun and when running slowly the plugs are not oiled up.
Having re fitted an original Number 7 size to my C Type I found that it was not really suited to road use. Clearly the (Powerplus and the Zoller worked well when new) especially for racing and record breaking. Pushed off and then driven flat out!

I am sure that there still must be many bits of these superchargers under benches around the world. I know of at least two K3 which which have or have had Number 9 units fitted.
I would be very interested in what you have and what you need and how you progress.

In my case the Number 7 kit had been in a box for 50 years, after I had made a new piston sleeve in 1964 as an engineering exercise. I closed up the tolerances so there were no sharp edges where the end plates fit. This is one of several weak points in the design / manufacture as sleeve tended to split along the vane slots. The piston sleeve which constrains the vanes, rotates at 0.7 times engine speed. When a crack starts the sleeve expands and could seize in the aluminium case before the driver realised and the shaft broke. This destroyed the case as well. Probably why they are as rare as hens teeth in working order!

For road use try to find a J100 or larger as fitted to later K3 models. This will give you a truly fit and forget instalation and a great car to drive on the road.

Contact me by e-mail if you have further questions.

Allan Bentley

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2023 :  00:46:51  Show Profile
Hello, Martin.
I don’t remember where I got this picture from but I thought it would be of help to you.
Cheers,
Chris

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Martin Barrett

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2023 :  11:11:49  Show Profile
Thank you Allan and Chris. I am new to the Forum and so not sure how to find your email address to respond. Martin.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1936 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2023 :  11:41:45  Show Profile
Just a glance at that external plumbing gives a good hint at the importance of proper lubrication of the Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2023 :  11:55:37  Show Profile
Hello, Martin.
To send an email to Allan just click onto his name in the left hand column and details will open up for you. Look at the top left hand corner to send an email.
Hope that helps.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2023 :  08:26:00  Show Profile
Hello Martin,
How is your L1 Continental Coupe, as I did not get any information since long time from you or Bernd. Unfortunately I do not have any parts for a power plus.
Paul
L1CC
Go to Top of Page

Berndt

Sweden
20 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2023 :  12:22:20  Show Profile
Hello Paul!
Saw My Name mentioned.
My LCC has all tis body parts on except the lower part of the bonnet. So what remains is minor elektric problems and all the adjustments and there are a few.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2023 :  10:18:55  Show Profile
Martin, I have tried to email you on so many occasions over the past few months regarding the Volumex carb manifold I machined up for you to your car. Spec. I cannot unfortunately release parts without an address and payment.

If you no longer require this item then please can you let me know as I can redirect it to another customer.

Kind regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000