Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J3 3763 & L. Castleton-Knight
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  12:47:06  Show Profile
Hi All,

I have been trying to find references to the following trials that L. Castleton-Knight drove J3 3763. I believe the results are available in Donald Cowbourne book 'British Trial Drivers - Their Cars and Awards 1929-39.

Would be interested in copy of book or alternately copies of the entries relating to Castleton-Knight

Also interested in any information, photos and references to a white J3 driven by K.H. Perry during 1934

2nd June MCC London - Edinburgh Trial L. Castleton-Knight

30th March MCC Lands End Trial L. Castleton-Knight

21st April MCC Abingdon Trial L. Castleton-Knight

Cheers
Ross kelly
grkelly@bigpond.net.au

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  21:29:59  Show Profile
Hello Ross,

Try addall.com

They have two copies of this book.

regards

Colin
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  18:57:51  Show Profile
According to Cowbourne, L Castleton=Knight was indeed in the '33 Edinburgh when his number was 147. He retired but there is a picture in Autocar. He also retired in the '34 Lands End being number 432. No picture this time!
He is not recorded as entering any Exeter,Sporting,Gloucester,Brighton Beer,or Colmore Trials, or the Sporting, Monte Carlo, Ulster, R.A.C. , R.S.A.C. or Welsh Rallies.
K. H. Perry is not recorded in any of the above.
Hope this helpful, Cheers

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  10:13:09  Show Profile
Hi,
Many thanks for the information supplied. A bit more for the history of J3 3763.

Cheers
Ross Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  11:51:40  Show Profile
Ross, You may already know all of this, but K H Perry was quite active in mid 1934 with J3 3767. He appeared at Brooklands on the 7th July 1934 for the BARC Inter Club Meeting (the Stanley Cup Meeting), and he was part of the Junior Racing Drivers Team consisting of the J3, John Hutton Potts with unblown J3445 and John Hodge's streamlined 972cc Singer. The team came in 1st to win the Stanley Cup and a report appears in "Motor Sport" of August 1934 - pages 452 and 454. Perry's car was entered as being cream with black wheels.

At the same meeting, Perry drove the J3 in the third race (The Novices Handicap) over 2 laps of the Outer Circuit but he was not placed. He came out again in the fourth race (another Short Handicap over 2 laps) but again was unplaced. In a fit of crazed enthusiasm, he was out again in the eighth race (a Long Handicap over 3 laps of the OC) - unplaced. He then came out in the first Scratch Sprint Race over a 700 yard Sprint course (unplaced), and finally in the second Scratch Sprint Race, where he may well have come 3rd, but of this I am not entirely certain.

Two weeks later Perry and the J3 were out again, for the Light Car Club Relay Race on 21st July, when he was part of the JRDC number 2 Team entered by Louis Klemantaski, comprising the J3, plus W G C Hills J3582 and Hutton Potts J3445. The J3 was now described as coloured fawn. The Team finished 7th in a total time of 3 hours, 46 minutes and 15 seconds - a race speed of 72.09 mph.

Our enthusiastic racer next turned out on the 6th August 1934 for the BARC August Bank Holiday Meeting and in the Second race (The Esher Senior Short Handicap over 2 laps he was in amongst the fast boys - Gardner (K3), Bill Everitt (QA0251) and A R Samuel driving Robin Jackson's C0255. Everitt won from a 25 second handicap position, at a race speed of 104.47 mph, whilst Perry was unplaced despite having a handicap of 47 secs. A 25 second advantage over the Q Type - hmmmm. A bit too much to expect, I think. The J3 was described as "fawn with fawn wheels". He was out again in the fourth race, the First Esher Mountain Handicap over 5 laps of the Mountain Course which was won by Donald Letts in C0277 who was on Scratch compared with Perry's 14 seconds. Finally, Perry was out again in the tenth race, (The Third Esher Mountain Handicap) over 5 laps of the Mountain, where he was up against Everitt (QA0251), Kenneth Evans (QA0254) and Roy Eccles (K3027) all three cars on scratch, whilst Perry started 17 seconds in front of that lot !

I can't find his name appearing in any subsequent meetings at Brooklands, but Mike Hawke's notes state that he took 3rd place in the 850cc Sports Class at Shelsley Walsh on the 9th June 1934, and he also appeared at Donington on the 14th July 1934, and again at Shelsley on the 29th September 1934. What a busy chap he was.

I hope that this is of interest.

Best wishes,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000