Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG crash at third Donington Meeting
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  10:38:31  Show Profile
This picture is extracted from LAT image C1600. Chris Lambert of the excellent Pre War Minor Network http://www.prewarminor.com rediscovered it recently.

Chris Garner (Pre War Austin Seven Club) believes it shows an incident at the third Donington meeting on 19th August 1933 during the fifth race for unsupercharged cars up to 1100cc, matched with supercharged '850s'……

"Langley, I think was driving a s/c 752 cc model, skidded at Starkey's Corner, car broadsided, overturned, rolling three times. Langley not badly injured but mechanic - a Robert Owen Wilcoxson, director of Vale Motor Co Ltd., was severely injured.
He survived but was later killed during the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940
Wilcoxson's involvement in Vale was funded by his film star brother, Henry."

Does anyone know any more about this story? Is the car a C-type?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 23/03/2015 10:58:45

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  11:41:33  Show Profile
Yeh is a c type . This accident is featured in some film footage of Donnington which looks quite spectacular!!
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  17:40:47  Show Profile
Certainly looks like a C type - but which one?

How amazing the driver was uninjured!

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  19:23:49  Show Profile
It was C0266. Nothing heard of it since that day.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  21:09:40  Show Profile
From the Vale Special book by Dave Cox, "the race meeting was organised by the Derby and District Club". It is later quoted that "the car was a J3", this may not be correct!
However the Autocar report, " A. H. Langley's Midget had experienced considerable wheel flap approaching Stakey's Corner in other races, and now on the first lap he approached at speed with front wheels leaping madly, and spun right round on the apex of the corner. In a second the car was over, the crew seemingly pinned underneath. A well-meaning marshal rushed out with a yellow flag, and Grice and Tanner, close behind, dutifully stopped dead. It was, of course, the dark blue "Caution" flag which should have been waved, as the road was not blocked- the yellow flad being the international panic signal, 'all cars stop instantly'! Langley was not hurt at all, and the car was not badly damaged, but the mechanic R. O Wilcoxon, of Vale Special renown, who had taken the seat just for the sport of the thing was removed to hospital with severe injuries".
The book goes on to say, Wilcoxon was to remain in hospital for some considerable time, recovering from a pelvis smashed in seventeen places and other injuries. Despite returning to the Vale Motor Co. many months later, his involvement was all but over.
He was later to have a lot of pain from his injuries, but was able to join the Naval Reserve, but was killed at Dunkirk 29 May 1940.
I trust this is of interest.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  22:32:05  Show Profile
Very good Mike.

I confess I do not know what 'wheel flap' is, but clearly it is to be avoided.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  22:58:11  Show Profile
In an earlier part it said that:- " Langley was seen to be have problems under heavy braking, with the front springs winding up and setting up a violent reaction in the front wheels."
So draw your own conclusions.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  23:31:27  Show Profile
Looks like c type bonnet and under valences, bonnet strap and there are catches at top of bonnet sides which some c types (including mine)were fitted with at a later date. Also the wheel spinners also look straight eared like c type, oliver
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  23:32:22  Show Profile
Was it a C type or J3?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  23:35:37  Show Profile
My last post won't tie up as Peter G's posting seems to have completely disappeared as I was typing my reply??!!
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  10:00:44  Show Profile
It seems your posts crossed somehow if the 'upside down' picture Peter posted is indeed the post you didn't see again when you posted your reply?!
Anyway, looks like a C-type to me too:

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  10:09:19  Show Profile
In Bill Boddy's book on Donington, he mentions that the Third Donington Meeting of 1933, was for sporting cars running on petrol/benzole only. He specifically states that Montlhery Midgets and supercharged cars were not allowed. Also Mike Hawke's book on J2s in competition attributes the 1933 accident to A B Langley in J2594 whereas Boddy refers to the driver as A H Langley. More confusion or what ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  10:32:05  Show Profile
I agree with Olli it looks like a C to me. In the " Motor" report picture you can see the front wing stays, the shape of the scuttle top etc. It obviously has the Manxed C type back end as well. The front blower cowl is more C type shape than J3 shape and as Olli says the under bonnet valences definitely look to be C type. Presumably confirms Peters information on it being 0266 ?

TH
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  10:50:35  Show Profile
Langley officially owned 266 from May 1933 when he bought it from the Barnes brothers, although the story goes he must have been on friendly terms with the Barnes brothers as he used it before he actually owned it: he entered the car for the October 1932 MCC Sporting Trial (he used a Magna in the end, but he did enter the C-type) and he used it in the first ever race at the first ever (car) meeting at Donington on 25 March 1933. All my references state A.H. Langley by the way.

If he indeed crashed a C-type (of which I really am in no doubt) in August, it will have been 266 (WP 200) as per this March picture where it is accompanied by C0263 (Kenneth Evans, 1) and C0268 (Hall, 25):

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  16:57:21  Show Profile
Does this help? The entry list for the day!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  10:05:26  Show Profile
Thanks, Mike! Have any more entry lists for Donington events? Or means of obtaining them?

With Messrs Hall & Jackson also entered in their C-types, I think we can safely say Mr Boddy's statement that no Montlhery Midgets were allowed is incorrect!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000