Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB History
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  00:58:18  Show Profile
Hi Kim,

Will get my act together on getting a drawing done. I also have the tube which Andrew refers to and will measure that too.

Yes I remember the bonnet! I'm fairly sure the '35/'36 Crackers had aluminium bodies and bonnets, as did the Musketeer L specials - in this case P bodies with a longer custom bonnet. Not sure about the earlier years - over to Alan Grassam or Jonathan Toulmin!

I agree with Andrew; your Dad certainly was an ace with the gearbox - I recall his snatch changes from 1st to 2nd at unspeakable revs...!

John R
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  01:09:23  Show Profile
Photo of tubular spacer which I shall draw up. One male thread and one female thread. Plain portion of tube is 117mm and overall length is 155mm.
Machined from 2.25" diam bar.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  10:53:10  Show Profile
Kim, I am also interested in having a spacer please. I have the tubular part - courtesy of John Adams. John also mentioned the need to have supports at the bottom to take the weight of the two wheels. It looks as if breakage of the tubular part was not uncommon if these were not fitted.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  12:48:31  Show Profile
Several years ago I made a batch of aluminium dual spare adapters as in photo. First piece screws into the P/T tripod, fit 1st spare, fasten with adapter, fit 2nd spare, hold it on using original spare lock-nut.
I will be in UK next week 22 March to 5 April, so could carry one over if any interest, email me ASAP..
Bob, Canada

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  13:51:42  Show Profile
Kim

I am certain Andy King, the new owner of JB7521, would love to have the original aluminium bonnet for the car.

Steve looks very happy to be reunited with the car!

George

L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 15/03/2016 13:52:21
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  14:56:25  Show Profile
Colin, I think it is normally the aluminium tripod which cracks under load rather than the steel tube. It can even happen with a single spare wheel especially if the locking spinner only screws in a few threads and does not reach the threads in the thicker part of the tripod - see photo!

The steel spacer I have uses all the threads in the casting and screws hard up to the shoulder - less stressful, but the T type support arms make sense.

Bob, is your adaptor threaded internally to screw onto the tube extension? You say the first spare is "fastened with the adaptor", which leads me to wonder. Apologies if I have misunderstood. My version has a floating adaptor and the whole assembly is tightened by the original spinner.

John R

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  16:37:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John Reid

Photo of tubular spacer which I shall draw up. One male thread and one female thread. Plain portion of tube is 117mm and overall length is 155mm.
Machined from 2.25" diam bar.

John R

I had some of these made up about 20 years ago, with the spacer a bit like the octagon one in John's other post.Sold then for about £50, I think, but if there is interest I could investigate again. The ones I had made were aluminium, and no-one ever came back and said they'd had a problem, but if they did I'd like to know!

I kept the steel prototype but have never used it. One day...

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 15/03/2016 16:39:11
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  21:14:30  Show Profile
Joun said: "Bob, is your adaptor threaded internally to screw onto the tube extension? You say the first spare is "fastened with the adaptor", which leads me to wonder. Apologies if I have misunderstood. My version has a floating adaptor and the whole assembly is tightened by the original spinner."
So yes, my adapter has a male thread on the front end and female thread on rear end. Adapter is machined from solid aluminium ( aluminum ) bar stock.
My adapter is the same as the MG factory drawing as shown on page 50, M.G. Trails Cars, Roger F.Thomas. I have attached another photo of the adapter by itself. The male end of the adapter screws into the wire wheel holder on the PA/PB/TA to hold the first spare wheel. The first wheel is set in place, adapter screwed into original spare carrier boss and tightened with a 3/8" round rod ( not supplied ) . Then second wheel is fitted and held in place by the original locknut screwed into the female end of the adapter. Hope this clarifies.
Bob, Canada on the way to UK Sunday.

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  23:19:16  Show Profile
Thanks Bob for your detailed reply. All now clear - I hadn't appreciated from your first photo that it is a one piece construction. Many thanks.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Tim

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2016 :  09:01:24  Show Profile
Here's a homemade variation on the twin spare theme. It came from a car used extensively in trials in the '70's and'80's. Not sure if there was ever a spacer used between the wheels. Note the wonderful craftsmanship of the welding(?!) , not cleaned up at all before being chromed. Those were the days!

Go to Top of Page

Kim

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2016 :  13:31:53  Show Profile
Bob, If you can get the adaptor in your luggage, Yes please!, and will sort out some beer vouchers!. Perhaps you can e-mail me some contact details when your over?. I think your set up is better than the spacer, as the inner spare wheel won't fall on your foot, when you take the outer off in the middle of a trial!.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2016 :  15:42:27  Show Profile
Kim, you are right if you used a design like in Tim's photo, but not the case with the tubular extension in my photo. A key feature of this is that the extension is screwed in till the shoulder meets the tripod casting, is tightened firmly and remains in place, with the load being taken on the joint faces as well as the threads. The floating aluminum spacer then finds its correct position when the wheels are put in place and the outer spinner nut tightened.

The inner wheel will not fall off when you take off the outer wheel, because the tube remains in place when you undo the outer spinner nut!

I had another look at the works TA drawing and I read it as a floating spacer on a tube...though this tube has two male threads and appears to use a standard spinner rather than the normal spare wheel type.

John R
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2016 :  09:43:02  Show Profile
John, you may have described what I have here. The item on the left may be an original, but the thread on the outer end is more coarse than the normal wheel spinner. It has also been welded at the other end (you can just about see that it is not straight).

The item on the right looks similar to yours. The spacer came with the original but the alloy was split and has been welded and machined to fit newer item which I had made.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  01:17:48  Show Profile
Hi Kim,

At long last I have photographed my dual spare wheel carrier part, which seems to be assembled from a handy piece of scaffolding pole welded between the two sawn halves of a standard spare wheel fitting. It does retain the option of having the permanently upright MG octagon via some more rather blacksmith type fabrication. Here are the photos with my tape measure to give the scale. See you Saturday!

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000