Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB History
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2016 :  10:11:34  Show Profile
Thank you Alan. In the general scheme of life it is not the first time that I have been overlooked, but being instantly forgettable is just something that I will have to live with !

I look forward to seeing you in April.

best wishes,

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2016 :  10:34:16  Show Profile
Dad at castle Combe in the 60s

Insert Image:

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

Kim

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  21:27:33  Show Profile
Many thanks for all the info and photos. Quick update, PB now running, although top end more than a little clattery!. I think Paul was about to undertake a full engine rebuild, as the PA block in the car has patches bolted too it, and seems to be 'oozing' coolant from numerous places!. The charging system doesn't (surprise, surprise). But on the plus side the clutch works. Hopefully it will run long enough to do the Kimber.
I have bought numerous spares with the car including two original double breather blocks (eng numbers 1417AP and 2210A over 165P, if anybody recognises them?) . Both need work, but hopefully saveable. Kim
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  21:59:20  Show Profile
B-o-A to West Cocker, do the Kimber & back again on 1 battery charge...... no problem. You're only 3 miles further up the road & I even carry a spare!

JH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  10:01:43  Show Profile
Hello Kim,

1417AP was originally in PA1160 (which lives in Newent Gloucestershire)

2210AP was originally with PA1992 (there is no record of that car having survived)

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  10:02:35  Show Profile
Kim, With all that fluid oozing out, make sure you bring a "spill-kit". The environmental police will not let you start without one !

Look forward to seeing you and Steve at West Coker in April.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Kim

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  20:41:09  Show Profile
Further update!, Clattery top end found to be loose cam follower. Now driven a few miles and 'most' things are working....Just picked up some 400 Blockleys, as most tyres fitted are nearly as old as me!. Managed to get some play out of the steering, now need to get it running better, as 'fluffing' at @3000rpm, could be fuelling, as it seems to get worse with boost. More tinkering tomorrow..
Does anybody have dimensions for spacer that goes between the 2 spare wheels, or if anybody now makes/sell them?.
regards
Kim
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  22:28:40  Show Profile
Kim,

I have one of the twin spare wheel spacers for which I can do you a drawing, if that helps.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  07:32:42  Show Profile
John

The J3 3772 which was once in your ownership, is shown in an early photo as having twin spares, the original owner appears to have bought every bell and whistle available. The necessary attachment for this is long since lost (unless you have them!), but it would be nice to have the option again.

Could you supply me with the drawing too, please.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  09:36:25  Show Profile
Ian,

That's over 50 years ago! When I had the J3 it was much more J2 spec and a shadow of its former self - at the time I didn't know about its trials history or the original spec sheet. Sadly no evidence of twin spares came with the car.

I will look out my parts and make a drawing or probably ask Alexander to model it on his CAD system. My version of the spacer between the wheels is a machined casting, and is a replacment item. It can be made fairly easily by machining from aluminium bar. It could be that there is an original item on one of the Cream Crackers.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  17:56:14  Show Profile
Is it the same as the drawing on page 50 of Roger Thomas's "MG Trials Cars", which says it is for a later Crackers - TA's!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  23:58:12  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder, Mike. I had forgotten about that drawing. I wonder if there are any dimensioned drawings of components in existence to complement this GA drawing.

The spacer shown is very similar to the one I have. I don't recall the TripleM trials cars having the additional support brackets (good idea though) but rear view photos are hard to find for evidence.

John R
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  16:04:30  Show Profile
Here's a photo of the spacer I have. Supplied by Octagon Sports Cars many years ago.
John R

Go to Top of Page

Kim

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2016 :  20:34:14  Show Profile
John, Many thanks for photo, if you have some dimensions it would be very helpful, and I'll get a batch made. I spent a happy couple of hours going through boxes of bits with Adrian at the weekend, but didn't find a spacer!.
One very battered aluminium bonnet in amongst the bits, that Paul had used on the PB is I think the original Aluminium bonnet that was made for the PB Cream Cracker JB7521,as it has the chassis number on the hinge !, it also has the bonnet catches with it, that are also cast in aluminium, I think the works were taking lightening pretty seriously. I do vaguely remember Dad having an aluminium bonnet that he let Paul have with the car in 1972!. Do any of the other Cream Cracker owners have original aluminium bonnets that might be able to confirm this?. I'll get a photo shortly.
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2016 :  00:20:17  Show Profile
Hi Kim,

Could you please note me as "interested" in having one of the twin spare wheel spacers if you do have a batch made.

Somewhere along the way I did pick up one of the tubular parts that secures the wheels to the standard P type carrier, but have not yet got the spacer part. I could certainly bring along some photographs to the Kimber and some dimensions. It strikes me that this may be just as difficult a part to remake as the spacer.

I will certainly make contact with you and your Dad during the event in April, provided that my silencer does not become detached quite so frequently as in the last couple of events so that I am left with some chatting time.

In passing, I still think of your Dad as the Grand Master of the P gearbox having witnessed him going from First or Second to Reverse, silently, whilst still travelling forwards on the hard surfaced car park in Cheddar during one the those late lamented events in the mid seventies. Since he completed the tests, and probably won the Gymkhana event, he had kept the crown wheel, pinion, differential and half shafts intact as well. That was in the green PB which you have just regained, too!

Just plain ramblings,

Andrew Smith
MMM571 - PB - Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000