Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lionel Leonard/M Potter-Moore
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MM1819

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  19:24:01  Show Profile
Hi and good eve, Holland calling!

Interesting details and knowledge.....wonder if you can help me with details about a (stern, in racing action) photo I have here. License AYT197 racing #9, on the back written Prescott Hillclimb driver Lionel Leonard MG stamped Guy Griffiths 18JUL1948. Do you know in which place he finished overall or in class? Engine at that time 1435cc? Hope you can help out, thnx. Of course I can send a scan, need to figure out how to upload a photo to this site. Cheers, Roger
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  21:04:58  Show Profile
Hello Roger,
When you either start a new topic or reply to a thread (use the "Reply to topic" icon not the quick reply) and when you are ready to add an image, click on the paperclip icon. You will be presented with a popup box which will enable you to upload an image from your computer. Click "Browse" and select the name of the file containing the image you want to post. The file must be smaller than 5Mb and must be in jpg or jpeg format. Click the "Attach File" button and image will be uploaded and then inserted into your post (you will have to preview or post to see the actual image). You can reuse that image in another post without uploading it again. If you upload an image and then do not use it in any of your posts, please delete it to save space. Click on "My Files" at the top of your screen, find the file (it will have a date/time stamp in front of its name) then click "Delete".

This is from the FAQ section in the top menu.
If you still have a problem then just ask, and you can send one of us a copy via email.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  21:48:43  Show Profile

Hello, Roger.

Please see attached illustration of page 219 of Motor Sport for July, 1948.

It shows results for Prescott , Sports Cars up to 1500cc Supercharged Leonard was placed 1st.

Hope that helps. I have several photographs of AYT 197 at Prescott where Leonard was quite successful with the car.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  11:05:00  Show Profile
Chris. Both the Southsea Motor Club and the Southampton Motor Club ran hill-climbs at Windmill Hill, Horndean. I have also found this venue referred to on at least one occasion as The Horndean Speed Trials. I have a few scruffy press cuttings of the results at these events but no mention of Lionel Leonard. However, when LL was advertising his "famous M.G. Magnette (S)" for sale (at £650 would you believe) he stated that it held the record for the hill at 19.89 seconds and made FTD on two occasions.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  14:17:22  Show Profile

Thanks for that, Colin.

I wonder if this the advert you were thinking of. This is taken from Motor Sport, October,
1951 and gives the impression that Cliff Davis achieved at least as much competition success with the car as Lionel Leonard.

£600 seems a heck of a lot of money , wonder how much Potter-Moore paid him ?

Regards,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  15:27:05  Show Profile
The Cooper Mg referred to in the add is probably JOY 500 which in the hands of Davis was unbeatable in 52/3 . He bought it from Leonard who had failed to get it going properly. My N902 raced it at snetterton in 1953 and was blown away. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  12:07:08  Show Profile
No Chris. Here is the advert I am referring to. Afraid I don't know of its date.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  18:45:55  Show Profile

Hello, Colin.

Thanks very much for a great find. I have checked Motor Sport archives and found the advert in the March, 1950 edition. I have also found and bought a copy off EBay for my file so l am well chuffed !!

Take care,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  09:15:03  Show Profile
Lurking in the spares is a second chassis (and enough bits to make up most of a second car). Do we know what became of this?

Brian

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2020 :  15:43:18  Show Profile

Hello, Brian.

In answer to your query, whatever the spare N chassis was we are highly unlikely ever to know it’s identity.

I can only assume and hope it wasn’t destroyed but was probably either sold separately by Lionel Leonard , or more likely Cliff Davis to raise funds for his Cooper MG.

I have been reliably informed that the chassis wasn’t with the car when it was purchased by John Crabtree in 1969. (not surprising as this was 19 years later !)

Regards,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

MM1819

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  18:49:09  Show Profile
Many thnx Rich and Chris, very helpfull indeed, so 1st place in Class, Prescott Hillclimb July 1948. Also thank you to all, posting more info about the machine. Actually, when filing the photo I came across more pics....

Go to Top of Page

MM1819

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  18:57:44  Show Profile
Actually, when filing the photo I came across more pics....
not really. That was KHX173, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  20:03:44  Show Profile

Thanks, Roger.

Your picture of the car at Prescott illustrates clearly why I am replacing the rear half of the body !

Cheers,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Lucky7

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2020 :  10:01:52  Show Profile
Hello all, a forum newbie here - I have been looking for my dad's old NA for a while - looks like it has emerged. My dad can provide more info/pictures on the car. He owned it during the late 70s early 80s if memory serves. Happy memories.

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2020 :  10:10:09  Show Profile
Fabulous old photos Alan, thanks for sharing those with us and welcome to the Register's Forum.

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000