Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HW Allingham and the Airline Coupes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  02:40:55  Show Profile
Hi All
I have been delving into the story of the MG Airline Coupes. Former Airline owner Lew Palmer has been very helpful. It is well known that Henry William Allingham was the designer of the bodies. Whilst searching for more information on HW Allingham, I came across the book "Kitchener's Last Volunteer. The Life of Henry Allingham. The Oldest Veteran of the Great War" by Dennis Goodwin. This HW Allingham worked for HJM (Mulliners) coach building and then joined Ford in 1934 as a designer. The Airline was a 1933 design when the Allingham of MG was a designer at 10 Stratford Place, London.
Does anyone have any clues on whether this is the same person? Grace's Guide lists a Henry William Allingham coachbuilder who worked for Chalmer and Hoyer as passing away in 1960. Henry William Allingha, the oldest veteran, passed away in 2009. Perhaps there were two Henry William Allinghams who designed motor bodies - an amazing coincidence if this is the case.
Any thoughts?
Graeme Cocks

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  04:34:37  Show Profile
Graeme, As strange as it seems, the Henry Allingham that worked for Ford and Mulliners is NOT the same Henry William Allingham that designed the Airline Coupe. I chased that lead for almost a year after the story surfaced of the WWI vet who was the last survivor of WWI. Yes, odd coincidence, but one of his relatives confirmed to me that they were not one in the same person.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  08:48:39  Show Profile
Graeme , Lew and Forum:

Great thread. Is there more? Books, articles you have found useful.
I have the Kitchener's Last Volunteer in my to read pile.
Airline's are a important side branch in the MG story.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  09:46:18  Show Profile

Hello, Forum.

I’m fairly sure that the 1st World War veteran was Harry Allingham of The Somerset Light Infantry. There is a large memorial stone to him outside Wells Museum opposite to the Cathedral. Wonderful man !

Chris ( ex Wells resident )
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  15:19:02  Show Profile
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Allingham

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  16:19:00  Show Profile
Whereas this is the designer of the Airlines

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Henry_William_Allingham

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  17:36:09  Show Profile

Apologies from me. ‘My’ Harry was Harry Patch who was remembered in Wells, the last surviving British soldier from WW1.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  19:08:08  Show Profile
That's the one, Kevin.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  00:49:09  Show Profile
Hi John, Lew, Kevin and Chris
Glad you're enjoying the post. I am just catching up with the overnight activity as I am in Perth in Western Australia.

It is intriguing that there were two talented coach builders with the same name, both famous in their own way. Lew's research some time ago identified the two men.

I guess we should have a picture of an Airline Coupe with this topic. This is the local one I have been asked to research. It is chassis number PA 0286 with engine 537AP.

According to the file which the current owner Peter Briggs has with the car it was the first Airline Coupe placed on an MG PA chassis. This was on 9 February 1934. It was kept as a factory demonstrator until sold to a customer by University Motors on 6 September 1934.

I mention this because there is a docket in the file which reveals the relationship between HW Allingham as the body designer and MG. On 14 May 1934, a service order was sent to HW Allingham Esq, 10 Stratford Place, London for "rectification work found necessary on the above car in addition to the standard rectification:- Fitting rubbers in step channelling to running boards. Refixing carpets to inside scuttle off-side. Refitting window rubber, o/s. Refixing trimming on o/s hinge pillar. Special figure ........16 shillings 6 pence."

It is interesting that MG charged HW Allingham for the work, indicating that he still took responsibility for the demonstrator even though the body was probably built by Carbodies of Coventry. It was sent to him personally and not to a company name, supporting the accepted view that he was a designer and did not have his own coach building firm at this time.

Martyn Wise, the editor of MG Enthusiast magazine was restoring an Airline in mid-1985, and there is an interesting letter suggesting that F. Wilson McComb should be asked if he knew the relationship between HW Allingham and MG. Perhaps someone has a copy of the mags from 1985 and can see whether Wilson McComb added anything to the discussion?

I am keen to know more about our Henry William Allingham. Such a talented designer and I can't find one decent article on his life.

Graeme Cocks
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  03:49:26  Show Profile
Not strictly on topic but there is a good write up from the period when he was at Chalmer and Hoyal here. It even includes mention of a 1930 M type Hoyal Drophead Foursome Coupe

http://morrisregister.co.uk/members/file/Autumn%201974.pdf
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  04:01:39  Show Profile
Hi Kevin
That makes interesting reading. It is understandable that HW Allingham's experience and contacts from his Chalmer & Hoyer days would have been put to great use when he was freelancing in design. Morris would have been a major customer. Do any vintage era MGs have Chalmer & Hoyer/Hoyal bodies? Some of them may have been designed by HW Allingham. Especially since the "al" in Hoyal is Allingham.
Graeme Cocks
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  08:53:43  Show Profile

Hello, Graeme.

As a lifelong enthusiast of all things MMM and particularly the K3, I couldn’t miss this opportunity to thank you so much for producing your fabulous book on the K3 !

This is a book which was probably well over due and now raises the K3 to it’s proper place among the great cars of the 1930s.

Best wishes,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  08:57:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MG Perth

I am keen to know more about our Henry William Allingham. Such a talented designer and I can't find one decent article on his life.

Any volunteers for a Yearbook article?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  10:01:39  Show Profile
Simon, You could try writing direct to Phil Bayne-Powell. He knows a lot about Henry William Allingham, but I don't think he sees any Forum postings.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  11:46:46  Show Profile
Reverting to Henry Allingham, at the Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum are displayed the Medals and a sculpture depicting this WW1 Naval veteran who died at the age of 113 in 2009. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  12:04:00  Show Profile
Good idea, Colin, thanks for the suggestion.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000