Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HW Allingham and the Airline Coupes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  13:47:52  Show Profile
Graeme asked "Do any vintage era MGs have Chalmer & Hoyer/Hoyal bodies? Some of them may have been designed by HW Allingham. Especially since the "al" in Hoyal is Allingham"
There are a number of references to a Hoyal built Foursome DHC body on a Midget chassis, including this one from an October 1930 'Motor Show' edition of The Autocar.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2020 :  21:20:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MG Perth

Hi Kevin
That makes interesting reading. It is understandable that HW Allingham's experience and contacts from his Chalmer & Hoyer days would have been put to great use when he was freelancing in design. Morris would have been a major customer. Do any vintage era MGs have Chalmer & Hoyer/Hoyal bodies? Some of them may have been designed by HW Allingham. Especially since the "al" in Hoyal is Allingham.
Graeme Cocks

Graeme, I agree with Lew Palmer's research on the HW Allingham war veteran is not the Airline Coupe designer. A late friend in the UK used Geneology resources to confirm the coincidence. Do you have a copy of "A-Z British Coachbuilders 1919-1960" by Nick Walker. There is quite a lot on Airline Allingham in there. There is also some information in "Carbodies - The Complete Story" by Bill Munro. I can scan the relevant pages for you. Cheers Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 18/01/2020 21:23:05
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2020 :  00:35:35  Show Profile
Also Graeme, For more detailed history/knowledge of PA0286 during it's time in Australia, you should have a chat with Ron Taylor. He is aware of your current research and is happy to share.

Cheers

Tony

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2020 :  01:28:46  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your contributions.
Tony, I would appreciate if you could send me scans of the relevant pages from those books. Thank you.
Chris, that's interesting that Hoyal was making bodies for MGs before the Airline Coupe - it helps put the Airlines in a continuum. The "foursome drop-head coupe" would have been a very cosy car on a Midget chassis.
Simon, I'm happy to put together a yearbook article after I've assembled all the info together. Lew Palmer wrote an excellent story on Airlines some years ago but I can write it with a different slant.
Colin, I'll get in touch with Phil and see what he has. Which brings me to Chris's kind comments about my K3 book! Thanks Chris and I am glad you enjoyed reading the book. As you know, Phil owned K3003, the Eyston/Lurani car from the 1933 Mille Miglia. It has been very gratifying that "The Mighty MG" book has given so many people so much pleasure. I digress, but the story of how the class victory at the Mille Miglia was won has been written about many times. My aim was to write a definitive account of the race so I extracted every first-hand account I could find and then compiled them by race sector to get as close as I could to what actually happened. The story has universal appeal. I went to see the Ford-Ferrari Wars film a few week ago and it occurred to me that someone should tell the story of the MG challenge at the Mille Miglia (and use my book as the basis of the film!). It could be a great "Chariots of Fire" style film. Not Ford v Ferrari but MG v Maserati. The underdogs beat the masters in their home event.
Anyhow, forgive my ramblings. I'll get back on to Mr Allingham . . . .

Graeme Cocks
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2020 :  06:42:47  Show Profile
Many thanks, Graeme. I recall Lew's excellent Airline article is the Yearbook (the 2012 edition should anyone want to refer to it) but an article on Allingham himself would be very welcome.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2020 :  06:52:39  Show Profile
Here is pic from the PA 0286 file. It must be at a motor show with the corporate number plate fitted. It is not identified as PA 0286. No inscription on the back of the photograph.
Graeme Cocks
www.motoringpast.com.au

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2020 :  05:51:48  Show Profile
If there are any Airline Coupe Owners on this forum, you might like to contact other Airline Owners via a new Facebook page "MG Airline Coupe Register".
A host of previously unpublished photos and information on the Airline Coupes will be uploaded there in the next few weeks, so join in.

Cheers

Tony

Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2020 :  12:34:09  Show Profile
Hello Graeme Cocks,

I have a copy of this photograph and not crop as much. I shall see if I can locate it, however I believe the notated was the P type prototype and was taken at the Olympia motor show, held at Earls Court London 1934.

regards

Colin
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2020 :  23:54:12  Show Profile
HI Colin
I'd be interested in the precise caption as PA 0286 was the first PA with an Airline Coupe body fitted but that is different to saying it was the "prototype". One does not necessarily equate with the other. I think I have the Autocar motor show issue form 1934. I'll have to take a look.
Regds
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Cris DaBica

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  01:23:40  Show Profile
Tony, do you have a link to that Facebook group? I just searched for it to join and I couldn't find it. My family owns PA 0835 and I'm certainly interested in any knowledge sharing happening around the model. Thanks.

Cris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  10:34:29  Show Profile
Hello Cris, If you search "MG Airline Coupe Register" in Facebook, it should appear. If not try :- https://www.facebook.com/groups/455341455164955/

Great to make contact.

Cheers

Tony

Go to Top of Page

Cris DaBica

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  00:34:57  Show Profile
Tony, thank you! Just requested access.

And Graeme, I've read the 33 book three times. Great work.

Cris
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  01:25:59  Show Profile
Hi Cris
Thanks for your enthusiasm for the book. There may be only two people who have read the book more times than you -- me, because I wrote it, and my wife Cathy as she proof read it!
My investigations into Henry William Allingham have taken an interesting turn. His mother was the famous artist of idyllic English country scenes, Helen Allingham, and his father a poet. More work to do to tell his story!
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  01:40:41  Show Profile
There are other "Allingham" designs that found their way onto MG's too.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  01:46:35  Show Profile
If anyone has an Allingham-bodied MG they'd like included in my Triple-M Yearbook story then by all means email it to me with a bit of history and I'll do my best to weave it into the story.
Graeme
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000