Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HW Allingham and the Airline Coupes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  01:59:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MG Perth

Hi Cris
Thanks for your enthusiasm for the book. There may be only two people who have read the book more times than you -- me, because I wrote it, and my wife Cathy as she proof read it!
My investigations into Henry William Allingham have taken an interesting turn. His mother was the famous artist of idyllic English country scenes, Helen Allingham, and his father a poet. More work to do to tell his story!
Graeme

William Allingham was 50 years old when he married the 24 year old Helen - she must have turned his head in more ways than one.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 27/01/2020 02:00:27
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  02:26:23  Show Profile
Hi Tony
HW Allingham didn't repeat his parents' age gap when he married Nellie Lomax. She was also born in 1882. Incidentally, they both came from a Bohemian background. Nellie was the daughter of the genre artist John Arthur Lomax. His paintings are quite cheesy now -- they remind me of the panels from old giveaway calendars. I wonder how much artistic influence she had on the design of the Airline Coupes? Unfortunately both their children died young.
Graeme Cocks
www.motoringpast.com.au
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  08:34:05  Show Profile

Can anyone identify this Airline Coupe from the registration - RX9316 ?.

Thank you in anticipation,

Tony

Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  08:48:30  Show Profile
Hello Tony
I believe that it is just the MG trade plate used for when driving their unregistered vehicles on the road.

Colin
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  09:03:35  Show Profile
Hi Colin

I doubt it. That format is a Berkshire plate where the factory registered their cars, but it is not a dealer/trade format. That doesn't mean MG weren't naughty though swapping plates to suit themselves.

The surviving RX plate records are held by the Kithead trust. An email to them would be a good starting point

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  14:16:14  Show Profile
RX9981 was issued in I think Juluy 1932 to my F Type so predates P Types by quite a long way...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  20:38:52  Show Profile
I have sent off an email to the Kithead Trust - thanks for the tip KevinA.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Tony

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  06:52:37  Show Profile
The Kithead Trust will be sending the results of their search in a few days. In the meantime, here is a better image of the same car.

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  11:18:51  Show Profile
RX 9316 was allocated to F0255 on October 10th 1931, but that car was exported to Switzerland shortly after, so the number would have been available - I imagine as suggested it was used by the works for convenience.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  20:47:36  Show Profile
The Kithead Trust has confirmed this registration was first used on 15th October 1931 by MG Car Co., Abingdon. The car was exported on 25th February 1932. No other records.

Certainly these dates appear to be too early to be associated with a PA Airline.

Go to Top of Page

Wiard Krook

Netherlands
16 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  22:01:09  Show Profile
Maybe known to everybody, but quite interesting:

"Art Deco and British Car Design; the Airline Cars of the 1930s"by Barrie Down, Veloce Publishing, England 2010.

Wiard Krook
L/0629

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  03:45:13  Show Profile
Also worth a read with some historic MG Airline Coupe photos.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  16:37:53  Show Profile
Don't believe too much of the info in the Knudson book. I pointed out a number of blatant errors to Dick just after the book was published, but he never bothered to respond or publish an errata.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  23:01:07  Show Profile
There will likely never be a publication on Airline Coupe's without an error, as most of the history and cars have been lost forever, and we are left to wonder about what we will never know.
Recent research has pointed towards the "Whittingham & Mitchell" NA Airline, was in fact built in Australia by "Martin & King" on a export "rolling chassis" before finding it's way to New Zealand.
More research is needed to confirm this theory.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  01:32:43  Show Profile
Yes, history is an iterative process. I like Donald Rumsfeld's quote: "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know." This applies to our Henry William Allingham. He went to Queensland to take up an apprenticeship in 1899. We know he worked on Tangye, Robey and Pulsometer pumps. We know that a company in Brisbane called Smellie and Co were the agents for these pumps. We don't know whether he worked for Smellie and Co. We also don't know why he didn't complete the apprenticeship and returned to the UK. And the rest is history . . .
Also, talking about things we know and don't know. I wonder whether Martin & King paid a license fee to Henry Allingham to use his design. Aah, another set of known unknowns!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000