Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Things we never knew about our cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  17:23:30  Show Profile
I thought it might be fun to start a thread in which we can share experiences - serious and not so serious - about things we have discovered about our cars ..........

For starters:

When topping up with engine oil it can be tricky to get it into the cambox opening without catching the bonnet hinge. Perhaps this was Kimber's way of ensuring that the hinge gets lubricated?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:01:38  Show Profile
Talking of topping up, how many times have I driven for miles worrying about a strange rattle, only to discover that I've left the filler cap unfixed at the last top-up?

Colin PA0613
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:10:20  Show Profile
I've discovered that on a Highland single track road there is (nearly!) always enough room for a P type to pass any car coming the opposite way, by simply putting the nearside wheels onto the verge, and keeping going. This observation has come about because the alternative of braking to a halt from a reasonable speed (less than 60mph) in a P type in these circumstances is seldom viable.

It's surprising how often after this manoeuvre I can see in my mirror that the other car is still sitting in the middle of the road with its brake lights on - if a car could look surprised and puzzled, this would be it!

Colin PA0613
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:12:30  Show Profile
I've also discovered that putting your wheels onto the verge regularly on Highland single track roads (see above) leads frequently to broken spokes - but what the hell, its fun!!

Colin PA0613
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:49:12  Show Profile
But then again, one of the joys of side laced wheels is that with a little ingenuity you can replace a spoke in pretty quick time. My best is 20 minutes - but undoubtedly not a record!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  19:44:54  Show Profile
And our friend Terry Andrews adds:

Did you know the plug spanner is used to fill the gearbox and empty it?.... Terry

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  21:00:39  Show Profile
....and I have just learned something which should have been obvious, that you can relaese the handbrake by a quick jab on the footbrake. Depends upon the gender of your passenger whether you use this option or not

Edited by - Peter Scott on 08/10/2010 21:01:52
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  10:32:41  Show Profile
quote:
....and I have just learned something which should have been obvious, that you can relaese the handbrake by a quick jab on the footbrake. Depends upon the gender of your passenger whether you use this option or not

I recall a teenage relationship nearly ruined on a first date when said technique nearly caught the handbrake on her suspenders (Aaah, suspenders - those were the days!).

Colin
Sorry - a bit off topic there, but who can resist a hazy wander down memory lane.

Edited by - Colin McLachlan on 09/10/2010 10:34:13
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  10:36:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

But then again, one of the joys of side laced wheels is that with a little ingenuity you can replace a spoke in pretty quick time. My best is 20 minutes - but undoubtedly not a record!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Thanks Dick, I've only just realised that you don't need to take the tyre off to do this - Doh!

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  13:17:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin McLachlan

quote:

I recall a teenage relationship nearly ruined on a first date when said technique nearly caught the handbrake on her suspenders (Aaah, suspenders - those were the days!).

Colin
Sorry - a bit off topic there, but who can resist a hazy wander down memory lane.

Steady on, Colin. You'll be confirming that 'you can do it in an MG' next... !

Edited by - kimber on 09/10/2010 13:18:42
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  15:02:51  Show Profile
The submarine service had something called "anonymouse" with suitable rodent characters. It encouraged people to confess to their mistakes for the benefit of others, anonymously. In this way we all learned from each other's mistakes. Might we do the same?

For instance I have just had my dynamo rebuilt by the local car electrical firm. I gave it to them with gearwheel and top fork attached. When it cam back it didn't fit which led to examination f hwat had been done... top fork bent, presumably by gorilla with a puller, reassembled with no key... etc. So what do you learn? Use the MG people who understand these things or at least take off the fork and gearwheel yourself first....

And as the drain from the radiator on my J and my Fs ends just in front of the distributor why not attach a plastic pipe leading to the other side of the car? I have broken down twice because I failed to do this...

So what about an anonymouse column? We don't have to give our names, just highlight our follies!

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 09/10/2010 17:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  19:33:40  Show Profile
What have you started Mr Moreby? I can just see Nick sharpening his blue pencil.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 09/10/2010 19:58:31
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  14:17:37  Show Profile
Have you ever noticed that modern cars are quite happy to poddle along at their own speed until you pull alongside and overtake them?
Some people in modern cars drive SO slowly - except in a 30 or 40 mph limit area - they then carry on at the 45 mph they were doing in the 60 mph zone!

Also people in modern cars have no idea how long it takes old cars to stop - beware the guy that pulls past you then brakes heavily using all of your carefully planned stopping distance!

MG Technical Innovations:

You have all of you no doubt noticed Mr Charles' careful design of rear brake cooling? - axle oil is drip fed along the 1/2 shafts and into the brake drums - this eliminates brake squeal in the rear brakes and reduces the risk of locking rear wheels under heavy braking (note: the MOT man doesnt agree with the idea).

The other main technical innovation was of course the automatic opening suicide doors.
However after 1934 this was removed from the N type because the doors were actually large enough to fall out of at speed and this proved unpopular with the paying customer.
My NA still has the standard 34 doors which can open without warning on even the smoothest Berkshire roads (sic)!
A pair of additional catches prevent the automatic door opening but leaves the unitiated passenger thinking that you are trying to grab their knee when locking the catch into place.

Another lovely little pearl is that on a dry October Saturday morning you drive through the countryside able to see-hear and smell the countryside instead of simply gaze out your hermatically sealed metal and glass "Euro" box at it - reminding you once more of how lucky we are to live in this lovely country!

Keep it up guys these are fun!
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  11:08:28  Show Profile
I didn't get to see any suspenders, but when courting my wife in the P-type, she got suspicious when I habitually ran out of petrol on a certain hill - not a particularly romantic one, it has to be said. It took me a while to realise that as I usually had very little petrol in the tank, it all flowed to the back and away from the feed pipe...

On another occasion we did a neat 180 degree turn in the wet when all the brake cables bar one (off side front) broke - rusted through. We somehow managed not to hit anything and carried on our way!

Cheers,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  13:43:31  Show Profile
Not quite the same as members imputs, but colin speaking of suspenders reminded me of two things, 1 the time I owned an MG A twincam and I had a girl friend who lived in Leeds ( I lived in Romford) she was comming down for a vist so the car was cleaned a table booked in a nice country pub some 20 miles away in the Essex country all was set for a nice country drive and romantic evening. while cleaning the car I decided to try and make the black leather seats look a bit fresher, So I polished them with youved guessed black KiWi shoe polish. I picked my girl friend up at the station (in my dads car) and she is wearing a "silver-white fox fur" coat! When we went out in the evening she looked a million dollers in the silver white fox fur coat.The drive to the pub was magic beautiful spring evening we sat for a while outside the pub watcing the maurice dancers followed by good wine and a first class pub dinner we had a wonderful evening and I was looking forward to what might come next! Untill that is we went to leave and the waiter brought her Black back Fox fur coat to the table. I need say no more except that I never saw her again!
Rodney. I will keep my second story for another time as I am wipeing the tears from my eyes as I type. (tears of laughter I might add)
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  20:04:54  Show Profile
I never knew that when i purchased my J2 there was any guarantee it would even be an MG. I was awaiting this 1950's Morris J2 van to appear with an Allard J2 in bits in the back.

A sort of buy 1 get 1 free deal. Maybe.

Sean
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000