Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Silverstone MG Live
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  13:49:32  Show Profile
Fantastic to see you out in the car anyway, Mike. I wonder when was the last MGCC race with 4 C-Types in thefield? And many congratulations on your fiftieth appearance at Sillystone.

But why did you leave it until you were over 40 to go for the first time???

quote:
Originally posted by saltandvinegar

It was not only the Commentator who was unaware of the importance of the Historic cars competing at the the Club's premier event. Most of the race officials were too. When I thought that 8.1/2" Galls of Methanol would not be enough for the 35 min race (originially scheduled for 20 mins)I requested that I be allowed to refuel in the Pit Lane. This was refused but with a lot persuasion from Dave Saunders and others they agreed that I be allowed to refuel in the Scutineering bay -under strict conditions. Speaking with one of the Clerks Of Course who shall be nameless I received some very strange comments along the lines of 'Oh its you and your funny old car I might have guessed! Fortunately after Practice we knew the likely fuel consumption for the Race and that we would not have to refuel during it. My enjoyment of the Race was also diminished by receiving a flagged warning (apparently for 2 wheels off the circuit at the exit to the very tight Loop corner). With its twin rear wheels the Evans car understeers severely which means that you have to be very precise with the entry. Having only covered a handful of Practice laps on the GP Circuit I admit I was still perfecting the technique! As I didn't want to receive the Black Flag I slowed for 2 laps after receiving the warning flag but this cost me several places. Can someone tell me why at a modern Race circuit it is such a crime to put your wheels the wrong side of the rumble strips! The rest of the Race was uneventful until the Chequered Flag whereupon I was directed down the Pit Lane to be greeted by the very officious Scrutineer who had examined my Car on Friday who 'wanted words'. He was very unhappy that I had failed to mark the front axle as a towing point as requested. (this was an oversight on my part but not what I would have considered a Safety issue. I had complied fully with his other requests to mark the Magneto Switch off position on the dashboard despite there being a bezel in proper 'C' Type fashion indicating the off position for the Mag. I had also exchanged my Nomex racing gloves (10 years old and no ISO label for a borrowed pair with the magic label on (thanks Tim for the loan). In my opinion he had paid scant attention to the real safety issues with the car when he examined the car on Friday and it came as something of a shock to be berated in the pitlane in such a way over such an issue. If my car had been damaged by not being towed by the appropriate part then only I would be affected. He told me in no uncertian terms that 'he would be looking out for me and 'this' car in future' -whatever that means. This was not a pleasant experience and not something that I have been told before and spoiled what otherwise would have been a brilliant and successful first competitive appearance of the Evans sprint car for over 40 years. This meeting marked the 50th aniversary of my first appearance at Silverstone - how things have changed -it used to be fun!

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  16:34:51  Show Profile
Graham, great photos and thanks for the one of me only half on the track. The others seem not to be trying very hard!!
As to the "small but select group of racers' there was one small one and he won the race. He has been awarded the much prized "Sack of King Edwards" which he has to carry around in the car next year. Scrutineers don't have "no vegetables in the cars" in their blue book.
Nice to see you on Saturday.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 26/06/2012 16:36:09
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  16:55:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D Downes
Scrutineers don't have "no vegetables in the cars" in their blue book.

That will account for some of the driving then...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  17:18:21  Show Profile
May I through this channel thank all competitors and people visiting with their MMM cars!
The racing was great (and paired with the other pre-wars made a good field) to see hear and smell!
And luckily our guy won something, go Orange!!!!

And all attending MMM cars where a joy to see (did miss a D-type, was that in the overflow?)

But with the things MG live has to offer
-Racing on track
-Racing cars in the paddock
-Visitors cars
-Market etc.
It was not as good as it could have been! (and has been)

So organising comity shape up!!
Make a good questionair
Send it to all the registers
And do something with the results!

Who is waiting for Minis on 2 wheels with on average 10 people looking......

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  17:22:38  Show Profile
Thanks for those kind and flattering words Hamish but it is 50 years not 50th appearance (although it may have been!) So that makes me 90 in your book -thanks! 4 C types in one race probably the Double Twelve at Brooklands! -not MGCC I know

Mike
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  20:24:21  Show Profile
When I organised the parade laps to mark the 75th anniversary of the L types in 2008 I handed the commentators an information sheet containing details of the L types and also information on the cars in the parade, for example the ex Brooklands/Alpine L2 and the ultra rare L1 salonette etc.

Perhaps the Register should do the same in future for the cars racing - we are very previleged to see such famous cars as Mike's ex Evans C type which was competing for the first time in ages.

The officials have a responsible task but there is absolutely no need for them to be either rude or threatening.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  09:01:58  Show Profile
Belated congratulations to the MMM racers.
I got there and watched from the pit lane.
S U P E R B
to see these cars whacking down the straight.

Commentary... "I can't remember what MMM stands for?"

Edited by - spitfire on 27/06/2012 09:03:20
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  12:00:04  Show Profile
I agree George perhaps we should all fill in a commentary sheet giving a brief history of our cars for the benefit of the spectators. We used to be given a 'Commentators Sheet' to fill in at signing on but these weren't available this year it seems.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  09:03:14  Show Profile
On a (hopefully) positive note, some of those who competed in the Triple-M race last weekend went on to Mallory where they met with some success:

Race 4 - Handicap race for pre-war cars:
Oliver Richardson, C-type 5th
Hamish McNinch,ditto - 11th

Race 6 MALLORY MUG FOR PRE-WAR STANDARD & MODIFIED PRE-WAR SPORTS-CARS
Fred Boothby, J2 5th on handicap - Avge speed 67.86
Barry Foster, C-type 7th - Avge speed 67.78
David Downes, NA 20th

Race 9 SCRATCH RACE FOR PRE-WAR CARS
Oliver was beaten into 17th place by Peter Meyer in a Riley Falcon ‘The Rat’ - Foz: have your trade mark lawyers been informed of this infringement?!

And, saving the best until last :
Race 11 HANDICAP RACE FOR PRE-WAR CARS
Fred Boothby, J2 3rd
Avge speed 67.29 - just 4.1 seconds behind winner Tony Seber's Hornet Special

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
770 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  10:16:20  Show Profile
Hi All,
I think the commentators did an excellent job mentioning all the important things in the race and with excellent judgement in all matters.I would like to add my oppinion is completely unbiased and has nothing to do with them awarding me the "Driver of the Race" trophy! I dont understand it ...everyone out there in a Triple-M Car was a driver of the race........
Look at Fred B. The last time he went that fast was in an ambulance with the blue lights flashing - good that he his back in form.
Then the foreign "Dude" who turns up in a dayglo motor and shows most of the grid the way to the finish.As a non-linguist I understand his name translates as 'Tyson the Great', but I think his watch is still on Eurotime as he was too early for the nightglow event.
I could re-award the trophy to the travelling salesman from Shrewesbury who was obviously advertising his surplus stock of wheels and tyres - bit like a Tyrell F1 car going backwards and almost as loud!
Hamish was also a trophy contender in "Jo" but as he changed his usual race-plan and failed to get a puncture he future handicap times will suffer so no award this time.
Peter Green is also a worthy candidate but as he is no longer Triple M Emporer his powers are now limited to words in the Forums so no gain for me there......
Howard in the delightful K3 - almost as nicely patinated as himself - is disqualified as he pushed off to drive his Playboy motor in another race.
DD's N-type mobile armchair is so comfortable he was so relaxed he failed to make the right choice when using the nitrus-oxide from his former dental practice. The wide smile indicates it went into him rather than the engine.
I could award it to Jane for either racing or as the lady driver -Sorry THE lady driver. But no, from what the commentators said(yes- them again) we appear to be related so would not be PC and hubby might get the wrong idea!
Oily Richardson should get it for making an excellent choice of car but only to fall from grace for filling the oil reserve tank with draught Guinness - well you have to have something for the Hanger straight.....most of us take the Times crossword for those idle moments waiting for the next corner to arrive.
I cannot give it to Clive as he entered the wrong race in a Riley and switching to the P-type was his SECOND CHOICE. The car is his mothers shopping car so full marks to her - understand it came via a local supermarket to get the 5p discount voucher for race fuel.I could change my mind as it was a nice road car - we used to have more of those competing.
Last but certainly not least - Andy K-type ing, for showing us why we have cable brakes! Though I am greatful to him for spreading hyperbolic fluid on the hairpin and sending Fred off into the hinterland and allowing me to sneak through.I am sure registe members could tell Andy of any suitable suppliers of Triple M spares to change his brakes.
I did think of giving to Mike L. our compsec but he made the mistake of fixing things so Fred won the Mary Harris...drat and blast!
LEGAL BIT
The Author would like to point out that any likeness to real persons or any implied insults and jibes
are entirely intended. Persons seeking redress to this article to should apply to my solicitor Richard J the prop of Grabbit and Runne Solicitors. Folly Lane.Rockall.UK.
Face to face reparations over a couple of pints of "Old Grumblebelly" would be preferred.
Dated 1.4.2012
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  11:22:34  Show Profile
You could have rebuilt my Diff in the time it took to type that lot with one finger. The response is with my solicitors for consideration.
Thought it was David Allison when I saw a page full at first !

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  11:48:47  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by DickMorbey

On a (hopefully) positive note, some of those who competed in the Triple-M race last weekend went on to Mallory where they met with some success:

Excellent day for the MMM Racers at Mallory, well done all -would like to have been there but when you are a travelling salesman.....

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  17:22:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Foz

Persons seeking redress to this article to should apply to my solicitor Richard J the prop of Grabbit and Runne Solicitors. Folly Lane.Rockall.UK.
Face to face reparations over a couple of pints of "Old Grumblebelly" would be preferred.
Dated 1.4.2012

Shurely 'Sue, Grabbit and Runne' or has Sue retired? I think we should be told!
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  19:54:21  Show Profile
Simon, things have never been quite the same since R. Ingrams handed over the editorship of the Eye!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 29/06/2012 21:40:41
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  21:33:30  Show Profile
Truly, nostalgia isn't what it used to be, Dick!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000