Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2? for sale on eBay
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  16:48:46  Show Profile
Might be of interest to someone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-MG-Roadster-/230842540569?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35bf49a219#ht_500wt_1069

Nick

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  18:56:13  Show Profile
I have requested the chassis number from the seller along with instructions where to find it. If I receive that information I will post it here.

Hopefully one more find?

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  22:46:22  Show Profile
The seller responded that he is not able to check the chassis number as the car is 100 miles from his home.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  10:40:44  Show Profile
Anyone who thinks they are buying an MGA might get a bit of a shock!

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  11:42:51  Show Profile
Looks like a side valve Austin 7 block in there as well..!

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  16:46:33  Show Profile
This lot may well be one of the lesser parts of the estate of the late George "Dutch" Fuchs, the bulk of which was auctioned off a couple of months ago. Google "estate sale George Dutch Fuchs"; he seems to have been quite a collector in the St Louis area of the US, with taste ranging from pre-WW1, up to 50s/60s "classics". Lots of them could be described as "restorable" rather than runners, so this one certainly fits the bill.

However, you don't need a lot of fingers to count the numbers of bright yellow J2s that have been seen in the last 50 or so years! I can find no record of the name George or Dutch Fuchs being associated with any J2, or anything that looks like this car in the "unknowns" (although most of these are UK references). So this does indeed look like a new "survivor", rather than a dumb-iron. Hopefully it's ID will emerge in due course.

JH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  18:50:05  Show Profile
To all: I had a person in the US think about bidding on this car, but backed away not because of condition, but rather because he couldn't get his "finance department" to agree. However, based on the pictures, it seems about in the same condition as my PA that followed me home a couple of years ago, albeit somewhat less complete.
As the registrar of the NAMMMR, I am keenly interested to learn of the chassis number, so if anyone learns of that ID, please let me know.

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:06:49  Show Profile
Who was looking for details of a J Type half tonneau? Is there one on this J?

Does rather look like it...

Maybe we need to ask the new owner to put up photos...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:33:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterL

Who was looking for details of a J Type half tonneau? Is there one on this J?

Does rather look like it...

Maybe we need to ask the new owner to put up photos...

Cheers

P

I was certainly looking for info on the J half tonneau but from these photos the one on the car isn't what I'm looking for as it shouldn't fasten to the Lift the Dot stud just above the door as the one on this car seems to do. But certainly an interesting find.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  16:15:28  Show Profile
Simon,

Have you seen the photos of exactly what you're talking about on the Dutch MMM site?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  17:24:30  Show Profile
Dave,

I have indeed, thanks, but they're not quite correct either. Picky? Moi? Never!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  09:36:13  Show Profile
Sold, it seems, at US $6601.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  17:38:54  Show Profile
I am pleased to announce that the buyer of this car, Roger Morse, has just applied to join the register. Hopefully another car destined to be rescued from obscurity.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

rgmorse

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  18:11:42  Show Profile
I am new to the forum, and the Triple-M Register. I am the one that bought the car on Ebay.

The car was sold as part of the settlement of the estate of George “Dutch” Fuchs. It appears that the family is quite colorful. Many family members go by nicknames, like “Dutch”. “Dutch” (George) was survived by his second wife Luann who is known as “'Lu, The Little Honey” Fuchs. Evidentially “Dutch” died without a will, and settlement of the estate was hotly contested. Liquidation of his many cars was finally settled after 3 years of wrangling in Probate Court. The sale to me must follow a protocol laid out by the court. Unfortunately, I will not be able to see the car in the barn where it has been stored for many years. According to the court order, I pay by check to the Probate Court, and the car is then taken to “Dutch’s” automotive repair shop that is being operated by his son. Once I get the car I will forward on information about the chassis number.

Roger in Poestenkill, NY
Go to Top of Page

rgmorse

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  19:42:33  Show Profile
Hi all,
I do not have the car in hand yet. I will be picking it up in late October. However, the people that are selling me the car found the chassis number once I told them where to look.

According to the people that are selling me the car, the chassis number for the eBay car is J2 3328. The number was found on the dumb iron knuckle. Both the bonnet and data plate are missing. They also sent photographs of the car. I have loaded these up to my son’s photo site if anybody is interested in seeing what it looks like in the barn where it currently resides. The web address is:
http://www.photoplace.com/Cars/MG-J2-3328

If anybody knows anything about this car, please let me know.

It appears that the engine is missing, aside from the head. So it looks like I will be looking for an engine for a J2.

My best,
Roger

Roger in Poestenkill, NY
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  20:16:28  Show Profile
Hello Rodger you have a good buy. The engine isn't too hard to get as you have the head that's the hardiest bit to get. The rad shell is wrong looks like a tc one hold on to it and swap it for a j2 one a tc shell is very valuable
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000