Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J4 rep bonhams
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6139 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  18:45:46  Show Profile
As an aside, I see that the latest terminology from the auction world for cars that have been built up in a new chassis with no provenance whatsoever is 'reformation'. There's a "Bugatti Type 35 reformation" for auction at the moment that was built on a new chassis and while it apparently has a genuine engine the rest of the car is of doubtful originality, although it does apparently have a "further wealth of original parts within the cockpit including a T51 pedal shaft, an original clutch and rear axle centre cases and, believed, backplates". Well that's alright then (as Private Eye would say). Have a look at http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2012-11-24/car/bugatti-t35.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  19:01:38  Show Profile
Note - unregistered - and almost certainly not possible to register for the road in the UK or France its country of origin. What a price for a toy which has to remain in its box!
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6139 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  19:12:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Allan Bentley

Note - unregistered - and almost certainly not possible to register for the road in the UK or France its country of origin. What a price for a toy which has to remain in its box!
Allan

France its country of origin? Very little of this vehicle ever saw the light of day in Molsheim!
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  21:11:47  Show Profile
Yet another warning - don't throw your knackered old bits away!

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2012 :  09:30:02  Show Profile

Simon.
For France read Europe where they don't have Q plates.
'Reformation' I thought this was something Henry VIII initiated so he could trade in an older model wife.
Bit like English (Ch------) sorry sparkling wine.
The cost of a chassis up rebuild today, clearly, has to be considered against its achievable market price especially if it cannot be used on the road.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6139 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2012 :  17:31:25  Show Profile
Allan,
Indeed it would be very hard to see how this car could ever end up being used on the road unless the Bugatti equivalent of an MG front dumb iron complete with chassis number turned up! And imagine what that would cost if it turned a copy, sorry, a reformation into a 'real' car! It will be very interesting to see if it sells on Saturday, and if so at what price.

DSJ wrote a very amusing article many years ago in Motor Sport about a chap rebuilding a Bugatti and as he replaced each worn item with a new or better item, a pile of genuine, but apparently unusable, Bugatti bits gathered in his garage until one day a young chap stopped by, saw the pile of bits, made an offer for them which was accepted and headed off with a Bugatti for restoration in the back of his van. As I recall, DSJ reckoned this scenario could be played out ad infinitum!

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 23/11/2012 17:31:58
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  12:10:20  Show Profile
Alan,
Your comments re buyers premium and VAT are correct. But the seller would have been charged 10% as well and ~£250 for the catalogue. The buyers and sellers % are based on the hammer price. So by my reckoning the owner picked up about £34,060! It pays to avoid auctions?

Gordon
PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2012 :  15:29:40  Show Profile
I see the Bugatti T35 'reformation' didn't sell. Would have been alot of money for a 'component car'!
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2012 :  19:56:42  Show Profile
I note the L1 special, which was previously widely advertised, also sold but at below estimate at £51000.

There were quite a few bargain buys amongst the sold lots.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  07:11:33  Show Profile
There were quite a few bargain buys amongst the sold lots..

not the RAF sector clock at ove 10K though!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000