Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Attracting Younger Drivers - and owners?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:55:13  Show Profile
My nephews showed an interest in the PB when they were 7 and 5. The eldist is now 15 and has an old mini which he is 'doing up' in the farm workshop. He can already weld and use a lathe. He drives the mini round the farm when hes not on the tractor.He has driven the PB in the yard and is very enthusiastic. His favourite event at his local track, Mallory Park, is the VSCC meeting. Theres hope there.

Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  11:50:09  Show Profile
A few years ago I decided to treat myself to a Myford Super Seven lathe which cost me over a £1000. A short while later a friend of mine bought a Colchester Bantam, with masses of attachments for £150. His came from a Technical College that was closing its apprentice training workshop. I'll bet they were converting the building into a Media Studies Studio. If you watch any of the American car programmes on Discovery everyone appears to have workshops attached to their homes - most superbly equipped. In the UK you will find a lawn mower, household junk, perhaps a mini snooker table and a tacky trampoline on the drive where a classic car should be!

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  16:31:59  Show Profile
As those fancy watch ads would say, you never actually own a Triple M MG, you just look after it for the next generation. So provided I don't end up in a home for the bewildered and have to flog the J2 to pay for it, my two girls will take over responsibility for it one day. OK, they may have to bring Oliver Richardson over to Belfast once a year to check it out and service it , but they can then enjoy it and in due course the grandkids likewise. Of course the 'ownership' gets diluted by the generations, but our cars are things that can be shared and enjoyed for years to come. Nothing to worry about I reckon.
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  16:41:42  Show Profile
........ or as my daughter put it, "dad can I have your car,(J2), when you die?
nice to know they care !
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  18:52:18  Show Profile
She could have said "dad can I have your car NOW" - count your blessings!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  11:10:12  Show Profile
Maybe Target Mid life crisis youngsters! ;-)

I agree this is an opportunity rather than a worry. It took me 15yrs after my first drive in a Triple M to take it up regularly for all the reasons that have been highlighted and was clearly in a privileged starting position. I don’t expect many 20yr olds to find cash or time. At the end of the day all we can do is, keep flying the flag, offering the drives and experiences. The more we use our cars the more we are noticed! This year we have seen growing numbers at all types of events. The VSCC have written about the return of the MGs to the racing scene for example. It might not be in the same volume as previous decades but we are very active as a club and thats our best advert!

Great pics keep em coming!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 05/12/2012 11:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  11:15:55  Show Profile
Oh and just to introduce my sister as she looks to embark on her adventure into Triple M territory with her PA!!Shes a bit bigger now!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 05/12/2012 11:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  11:31:43  Show Profile
BTW Graham

I m not sure tieing your nephews hands behind their heads is really giving them the true experience.

Had you just polished the dashboard again and worried about sticky finger prints!

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  13:20:03  Show Profile
Mark - is that PA and Pa?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  14:04:17  Show Profile
Actually thats a J2!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 05/12/2012 14:05:08
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  20:27:00  Show Profile
Ah! It was a bit hard to tell what with all that superstructure!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  20:42:39  Show Profile
It looks awesome what style if body has it got?
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  20:56:04  Show Profile
To avoid confusion!!!

The J2 in previous picture was dads first car, very light weight, slab tank. Photo was taken in 1973. Alexa was 1!! Think it went to Japan.

Alexas PA will be cycle winged, but very standard. Pictured below, not sure why the photos capsized sorry!

Mark Dolton

Turned right side up for you - Nick

Edited by - Dolts on 05/12/2012 21:17:03
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  22:20:09  Show Profile
Oh, what a passionate topic !

First of all, I fully adhere to Simon's statement : we don't own our cars, we are only their temporary keepers. We do our best to restore them, keep them running, show them around, take occasional passengers for a ride, sometimes invite someone to take the wheel. Why do we do so ? Because, after our dreams of owning a MG, of how it should be after restoration, we are dreaming that it will not turn into a pile of rust someday, or even worse : a silent statue in some museum. We would like to be sure that it would run forever.

I bought my J2 in 2003 from a man who owned it since 1963. It wasn't a vintage car he bought himself at that time, it was a true sports car, and so did I 40 years later. May be here's the clue. A true sports car which gives sensations no modern car can give (and I am not talking of mechanical sensations only).

Praise be to these pioneers. They were 20 in the 60's, they were called crazy blokes when they drove their MG, or Amilcar, or Salmson to buy their daily bread or Sunday cake, but they saved many a car. Let's not forget the lesson they gave then.

Let's do the same today and use our cars whenever possible. These cars were not made for oldtimers venues. Show them off, there's a chance that someone, someday, asks : "Nice car you have, where can I posssibly find one ?"

Money ? OK, this an issue, but I am not so sure that prices will keep raising for very long. And my new mid-range Volvo, whose estimated life will not exceed 10 years, costed much more than the J2.

Christian Cottes
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  13:53:34  Show Profile
The issue of bringing young people into the hobby has been raised in almost all old car clubs. Cost is a major factor, but the problem is deeper. Todays youth are not mechanically minded, they understand bits and bites and electronics. Having problems with your computer? Find the nearest 10 year old to help. Of course this is an over statement but it is more the rule than the exception. I have a 1960 AMI Juke box. It is a machanical wonder of switches, cams, etc that selects one of 200 records and plays them. It is easy to understand and fix. Today, a young person doesn't know what a "record" is. Such a devise would run on a computer. My BMW service manager says over 60% of service problems are computer related.

Out of three sons, only one is interested in the MGs, and only the fun of driving them.He has the M type. His answer, if something brakes, be it be the toilet or a car, is to hire someone to fix it. And they have no time for clubs and meets as cell phones, computers and texting has change how we socially interact. My wife can't drive a manual transmission, but loves the cars, and even more the social interaction at meets. The younger generation is mostly different.

Sorry for the pessimistic rant.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000