Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Attracting Younger Drivers - and owners?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  21:04:54  Show Profile
Thanks for the photo edit Nick!

I dont think any of us doubt the challenges .....but bringing in new members and younger members is not a lost cause. Yes we need help technically but I get more support from this group than I ever have from a modern technology provider. Plenty of social events that once aware and experienced are very appealing to the younger generation and families. Its just a bit different.

Its great that within the Triple M community age / generation has no relevance to the friendships we make. I guess we should focus on the positives and see if we can open the eyes, minds and hearts of others! Lets use this post to advertise.

I dont apologise for my optimism however deluded I might be

Thanks

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 06/12/2012 21:05:41
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  21:31:50  Show Profile
Have to say as a younger member of the MGCC in NZ this is an interesting thread, sadly I'm nearly 40 and still seem to fall on the younger side and I'm not too sure how the club will fair longer term, who knows. On the MMM front I’ve been a passionate lover of these cars since the day I was old enough to know what there were but sadly the costs have never let me own one, but have enjoyed the more modern MG’s I can afford. Modern being 40 and 50 years old now…..

I've been very lucky in recent times as I store a PA for a close friend and have the pleasure of its use whenever I like, and I'm also always keen to help work on it and have learnt a lot. However owners of even basket case restoration projects seem to want insane money. Over here they like to look at UK prices, apply the exchange rate an expect that price. Sadly to, the limited NZ cars often head overseas so the higher prices can be achieved.

I totally appreciate that owners are just custodians for a period before the car moves on to the next person, I know my friend and I both feel the same way about the PA, it’s quite cool. And I've made some amazing friends around the world simply because I love MG's, you just don't seems to get that with modern cars.

One I'll get one day I'm sure, in the meantime time I'm doing my best to brain wash my son, and he’s been very spoilt by other mmm owners to and seems to love it.

Cheers,
Daniel

Edited by - NZ_monty on 06/12/2012 22:10:46
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  21:42:53  Show Profile
I bought my j2 when I was 23 I am now 27 I started to rebuild it when I was 25. I think (hope) it will be finished in 4 months time. I have done everything myself except the engine. But I am getting a lot more knowledgable about the engines now, I have just got another project this week I will do the engine on this myself. I've really enjoyed doing my j2 it's been straight forward I learned so much about mmm cars.
I've just started a corse at my old school at night where you can use all the machinery lathes, milling machines, bending machines etc
You can take in anything you want to work on. I'm going to make lots of things what I need for the rebuild of my cars. I've just learned how to use a lathe propery.
It's run by a mmm mg member person Keith Dolby anyone can go along its £8 a night there's a few people doing it building cars. It's really good for young people to go along to.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  21:55:51  Show Profile
Greg, that's fantastic, good on you! Looking forward to seeing your work next year!

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  22:11:32  Show Profile
Yes, Greg that very cool, nice one.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  23:19:02  Show Profile
Cheers lads
Daniel if the p type is at your place most of the time and you drive it a lot you could ask the owner if He will sell you a 50% share now and if he sells it in the future or anything happened to him you could buy the other half years down the line. I know a few vintage Bentley owners who have done this.
I've seen a lot of mmm cars in America for sale in the past quite recently and they have sold quite cheap like the yellow j2 barn find a few months ago it would of made twice that in England. In Australia and Europe they make top money.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  23:26:58  Show Profile
Bargains, especially in the US, do occasionally show up. Quite by accident, I was approached by a fellow at an MG event a few years ago claiming he had a PA. I eventually bought that car (trailer full of rusty parts?)for US $3500. A nice tidy profit for the seller as he paid $500 for the car. It was a restoration in progress in the mid 1980s when the owner passed away. It had 4 new wings, a new Collingburn interior, a matching numbers engine, and a few other good bits (and lots of rusty ones).

So keep searching. They are occasionally still out there.

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

Otto

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  18:05:16  Show Profile
The infection with the Triple M virus began two years ago and it still exists. When this little boy comes to see his grandfather, his first way is always the way into the garage…

Shocking: no „Blockley tires“

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:00:41  Show Profile
I agree it's great to see a young enthusiast like Greg but he appears to be the only youngster (< 30 years old) regularly posting comments. Also most of the references to very young MMM enthusiasts relate to grandchildren so what's happended to the inbetween generation'

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:24:50  Show Profile
Interesting thought! I m 36 ... and my kids ( the triple m grand children) are 5 & 6? So i guess its my generation thats gone missing ....

The quest goes on!!!

I still feel quite young, how long does that last???

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:51:45  Show Profile
Mmmm

My son is 36 and wont let me sell any of my MMM cars. He is keen on the salonette which is particularly good news.

I have wondered as I have watched this thread unfold as to what it is all about. He is keen on his morris minor and does all the work on it himself so has the skills etc, and drives the MGs whenever he can. Is he an therefore an ideal MMM man?

Is the ideal MMM man a curator or an enjoyer? And if the latter shouldn't he be enjoying today's cheap sports cars rather than our antiquated MMM examples. Is perhaps today's MMM man a bit of an antiques enthusiast whereas our fathers (mine born 1910) treated them as the available fun motoring of the day?

I suppose I am asking whether we are taking ourselves too seriously? Or not as the case may be...

Cheers

P

PS I would love to include a photo of one of my nephew's children having her nappy changed on the tonneau of the F tourer. Sadly it never got taken but she and the rest all enjoy the cars...
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  20:45:54  Show Profile
Peterl,

To your first question, I would definetely answer : enjoying our cars as often as possible and share this pleasure with others may lead us closer to what ideal curators could be.

And to your second question : oh no, let's not take ourselves too seriously ! After all, we are all driving dreadfully unconfortable 4-wheel soap-boards which do not safely exceed 90 kmph, have no brakes or scarcely any and expose our beloved passenger to air drafts and rain. And sunburn in summer. And in any case we laugh...

May these laughts be communcative to the younger, and long live our cars.

Cheers,

CC
Go to Top of Page

mgmike

New Zealand
39 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  22:38:26  Show Profile
I bought my PA about a year ago - I'm 40 and have owned MG's for nearly 20 years. Until now its been MGB's and MGF/TF, simply because on a value per money basis its so much easier owning a B or an F. The B is relatively cheap to purchase, restore, maintain and own and can be driven anywhere and in modern traffic. It's only more recently with a bit more money in my pocket that I can justify owning a MMM car, which is more expensive to buy and maintain, and which in reality is a little more limited in how it can be used. Despite all this I think there will always be a market for these cars. There are not many MMM cars around and as the current generation of MG owners moves out of their 20's and 30's they will gradually develop an interest in the older MG's and hopefully the financial ability to own them.

The only thing I would say is that I would encourage all owners of MMM cars to get them out and about at general MG events so younger owners can see them and appreciate them. Over here in NZ we have a "Pre 56" register which caters to the older MG's and does so very well, the only problem being that many MGB/MGF owners do not get to see the cars enough at general club events. Its only through seeing them that you get enthused. I had been thinking of buying a Healey or Jag XK to restore but since buying the PA I have had a ball with it, great fun to work on and drive, and I now find myself casting covetous eyes at 6 cylinder MMM's. So yes I do believe any younger MG owner or any young car enthusiast can get interested in these cars, if they can see them and experience them first hand and not just as pictures in books or museum exhibits.
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  23:40:44  Show Profile
Great Topic !! I believe that cost is a major factor in attracting younger members - but others have already expressed this thought.
Here's an idea ...if we, as a Club, or any Club for that matter, are concerned about attracting younger members, then why not offer a "junior" membership at a steeply discounted rate - enough to cover expenses especially for the publications. If people get involved when they are younger, they may make the investment when they either have the time or money to do so. Just an idea...I am sure people will have differing ideas.
Best
Dan
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  10:25:49  Show Profile
My J2 is a regular on the school run. At least little uns know they still exist. The savvy ones seem to think its a kit car. They can't quite believe how old it is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000