Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Attracting Younger Drivers - and owners?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  11:12:21  Show Profile
Pleased to report that most of my children's mates can now identify an M. Most of them have had a run and we took a number to the Castle Coombe classic this autumn, they were fascinated by the VSCC race having never seen Vintage cars racing, and being able to identify MMM MG's gave them a focus for support.

MG M Type
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  16:09:45  Show Profile
Another perception to overcome. My wife encountered someone in Waitrose today who was amazed that her MX-5 had the hood down (standing orders here).
He was also an MX owner, an early hard-top one, it seems, but 'I don't drive it much, too dangerous, it doesn't have air-bags or any crash protection'

My wife replied that he should try a trip in the PA.

Is so-called 'safety-fear', in the age -at least in Lichfield- of the giant 4x4, something else that we have to counter?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  18:18:35  Show Profile
One M Type servicing job only a 3 year old can do is replacing the wheel nuts. My grandson's small hands fit between the spokes perfectly.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  08:23:35  Show Profile
When I made the chassis for my MG M 1930 had I some help from my granddaughter with small hands. I hope the M is finish for the spring. Now she have drive lisence and like drive my TA.

The car beheind is a MG M 1931
Jorgen + Nanna

MGM 1930 MGM 1931
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  22:46:09  Show Profile
This afternoon I have been at a local school to whom our Classic Car Club gave some money to assist them with the rebuilding of an MGB GT that they had bought on ebay! As well as the money we give them expertise and today we had four club members helping to dismantle the car in preparation for body and engine repair. Girls as well as boys we present. The school consider it a win win situation, as the pupils are interested in the car, the history class find the story of the manufacture, the art class draw it and so on.
We tell the school of local car events that are happening in the area, and the pupils will come and help at our static show next year, and bring their parents and friends. Therefore our club win as well with more people at the show and maybe more members.
I think it is an idea that could be rolled out for more schools, and to this end we are starting with another school in the area who have a Fiat Panda to rebuild!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  00:11:35  Show Profile
Absolutely brilliant Mike. That is exactly the sort of thing that was in my mind when I started this in a previous thread.

I am working on a similar thing where I have offered to take the J2 to the engineering department of a local college and talk about the history of MG and the mechanics of the car. I also put on a workshop visit for the local MGOC last year. They all had B's and more modern MG's. It generated a lot of interest and one of several youger owners who came is now very keen to get a Triple M car.

We cannot control market values and the finances of future owners but we can do things to generate interest in our cars among the younger generation in the hope that it may turn in to future ownership and keep our cars alive when us oldies are in the garage in the sky.

Back in the early 80's the Register had a PR Officer ( wonder who it was ) and we did quite a lot of work to publicise and raise the level of interest in Triple M cars in the Classic Car mags etc. It was not easy but we did get some articles and publicity out there and over the years there have also been many excellent articles by Malcom Green and others which have done much to educate and draw in interest in our cars.

Maybe the Register should again be thinking about what it could do as a body to either directly promote, or encourage its members to promote, the joys of Triple M motoring to a wider, but this time younger audience. For example how about organised Triple M car displays at more modern MG gatherings where younger owners are more likely to attend ? Maybe some centralised but easily transportable display material which members could use at such events. Lets air some ideas and see if some positive action can be taken in 2013.

TH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000