Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Any photos of very original P type sold last year?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hornet

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  21:41:56  Show Profile
has this car never had any repair work carried out ?
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  22:16:22  Show Profile
Great spare rack Peter - not only original type spring clips, but those look like KLG plugs with the layered mica insulators. K1 plugs were original issue on early Bentleys, and when I rebuilt my 3 liter, which was Chassis 3 and the first production Bentley delivered, I bought old K1s on eBay , cleaned them up and used them for running as well as in the spare rack! Do you run the plugs or just keep the old ones in the rack? I never noticed any difference in running with the K1s or modern plugs. Using the period stuff really tops off a good looking engine bay! Plus those spring clips really work, and they are much faster then threading on a nut.

KTS
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  22:57:43  Show Profile
KTS,

I do not run the car with these original KLG plugs, but there is no reason why they would not work.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  01:27:51  Show Profile
When I acquired PA1212 in 1972, while not a barn find, it was quite original (though resprayed). It still has the original fire wall with a fine patina and no additional holes drilled. It had never been painted as far as I could see. (I recall reading a comment by Bob Clare regarding restoring his Cresta NA that he thought the original fire wall most singularly desirable on a Triple-M car, which I appreciate.) Fuel lines to reserve valve and to the pump were nickel plated. The engine, original to the car, was green; it may well have been repainted at some paint, but absolutely no vestige of red was discernable anywhere (I don't mean to reopen that can of worms!). Bellhousing black. Accelerator and rod/brackets silver (as in Green's MG Road Cars, vol. 1, page 45), brake and cluch pedals black. Half tonneau connected to seat back by an ash strip painted original body colour. The hood was not attached to the rear bow but stretched across freely (original webbing), definitely old but quite possibly not original. It certainly stores better this way and may add storage space in the boot. Side curtains original, arm flap on offside and full transparency on near side.

I have enjoyed this thread and the photos.

Some thoughts in snowless Chicago! Phil Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  07:30:39  Show Profile
Two other items of interest are, the straight shape of and method used to attach the badge bar and the front shock absorbers are fitted facing inwards, to protect the dials?

As with so many of the items on this car, not so pretty but probably more practical.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  08:13:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by panderson
Half tonneau connected to seat back by an ash strip painted original body colour.

Phil, I assume that the P type seat back has a slight curvature the same as a J, so is this ash strip fixed in a straight line from side to side, or does it follow the line of the top edge of the seat back, i.e with a slight curve?
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  08:52:27  Show Profile
Simon

On my PA it was a straight strip of wood.

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  10:12:33  Show Profile
Dick,

Thanks for this. And I assume the top of the seat back is curved like the J2? AS you can tell, I'm determined to get my half tonneau cover and hood 'just right'!
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  12:17:10  Show Profile
Another point of interest to me is the arrangement of the carpet covering the gearbox.

There is a small section that covers the Alloy "timing window" held in position with 4 press studs that looks quite neat to me.

Is this original as I have seen all sorts of gearbox carpeting and do not know what is the correct method.

Having these photo's on our Forum is great, "well done" to the author for posting them.

Russ
PB 0333
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  15:52:26  Show Profile
Simon and Dick,

I have a distinct memory (my car is in Minnesota at the moment, so cannot look) that the bottom of the strip was straight and the top was cut to follow the curve of the seat, thus ensuring a tight and clean fit. I do have a photo of the strip. I'll try and find it and post.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  16:06:36  Show Profile
Great, Phil, and many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  17:29:24  Show Profile
Simon

This may interest you?

Regards, Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  17:33:46  Show Profile
Many thanks, Alan, that certainly shows the tonneau cover following the line of the top of the seat back, although it doesn't suggest that there was much by way of adjustment in the length of the cover to accommodate seat movement. Perhaps the fitting of the cover had been adjusted at some later stage. Now if only it had been a J2 we might get to the bottom of the mysterious flaps on either side that covered the hood frame and which were replaced by the 'ears' on each side of the P type seat. But we're certainly making good progress on the tonneau cover. And if we can do the same with how the hood was constructed and secured so much the better.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/01/2013 17:36:12
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2013 :  03:06:05  Show Profile
Simon,

I too am interested in a number of details on a P-type hood. I am just starting the construction of the hood for PA1169. I have found the photos of the hood here and in the posting by Terry Andrews (http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3882&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=hood) of tremendous help. Are you doing a P-type or J2 hood? If a P-type, I'm willing to share details as mine comes together. If a J2 hood, I found the patterns in the old George Jarrard "J2 Compendium" very helpful when I did mine some 30 years ago.

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2013 :  05:42:23  Show Profile
Lew,

It's a J hood that I'm doing but the construction seems to be the same as the P - hence my starting this thread. In particular I'm interested in the way there seems to be a separate section set in between the two hood bows with stitching that pretty much follows the line of the hood frame. This doesn't seem to be present in Terry's hood, although it does appear to be fastened to the rear bow. I've looked at the Octagon Heaven articles (Jerry K gave me the set many years ago) and I've been in touch with John Morris who contributed to some of them and they also identify these seams. But it still isn't clear exactly how it goes together - hence my interest in getting photos of this P type hood, both inside and out. When you did your J, did you construct it with these seams following the line of the hood frame?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000