Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Terry Andrews. R.I.P.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  11:57:16  Show Profile
It is with great sadness that we must bring you the news that our good friend Terry Andrews died on Sunday evening, 14th April, 2013. As many readers will know, Terry had been treated for multiple myeloma over a protracted period of time. Despite the ministrations of the medical profession and the care of his devoted wife Margaret, the disease overcame him in the end. Terry’s sunny and optimistic disposition will be missed by all who were privileged to know him.

On behalf of all Terry and Margaret’s Triple-M friends, we extend deepest sympathies to Margaret at this sad time.

Depending on the family’s wishes, details of the funeral arrangements may be notified shortly.

Dick Morbey

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  14:18:39  Show Profile
I am very saddened to hear of Terry's death.

Terry was a long standing member of the Triple-M fraternity who has served on the Committee and who undertook a lot of research on the history and originality of the cars. Terry was always very generous with his help.

He will be sadly missed.

George Eagle
Hon Sec

Edited by - George Eagle on 15/04/2013 14:20:57
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  15:21:38  Show Profile
Very sad news, Terry will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  16:32:47  Show Profile
Very sad news indeed. If everyone was as helpful and considerate as Terry was, what a wonderful world it would be. The very few times we spoke, he couldn't do enough to advise and help, even though he had far more important personal issues to think of. He told me it was his way of dealing with things and enjoyed chatting about any Triple M related issue as he said he did to help pass the time, chatting to friends the other side of the pond while he has confined to his bed in hospital. A great loss to Triple M and someone I would have enjoyed meeting.

Wyn
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  17:21:35  Show Profile
In the passing of Terry the Triple M fraternity has not only lost one of its greatest enthusiasts but the world has also lost one of the nicest, kindest and most genuine of people.
I spent several hours at the hospital with Terry on Saturday and we had a good old " natter " about the world and everything MG. We managed quite a few laughs and yes quite a few tears but despite what he was facing he remained positive, interested and enthusiastic throughout. His courage and strength of will in dealing with his illness over the past few years have been an inspiration to his many MG friends and everyone else who knew him.
The world of Triple M has certainly lost a most valued and knowledgable enthusiast but he leaves behind many memories of happier times. Terry loved and cherished his memories of the many UK and European tours and Rallies which he and Margaret entered in their beloved P type. He has in past years edited the Yearbook and written many articles, given lectures and also helped, advised and supported many other Triple M enthusiasts in the re-building their cars. I know he was very sad not to have completed the restoration of his L Continental Coupe which he has been working on in the past few years but he was comforted in the knowledge that this will be completed in his honour by his friends.
Terry has always been supported by his wonderful wife Margaret but in the last few years she has been an absolute rock for Terry and as Dick says our deepest sympathies are extended to her.
One thing is certain. Terry will be making sure that all the MG's in the garage in the sky have the correct parts fitted ! Rest in peace Terry.

TH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  17:39:51  Show Profile
Our deepest sympathies go out to Terry's family and friends. I got to know Terry back in the 1980s while living and working in the London area. He was always most helpful with whatever Triple-M question I had.

I was pleased to be able to meet up with him again this past September at Beaulieu where he, despite the wheelchair, was searching for parts for the L1 CC and meeting and greeting friends.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  18:51:22  Show Profile
Sad. A splendid man, greatly helpful to a total stranger and, as well, an admirer of the Continental Coupé.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  20:06:25  Show Profile
Very sad, Terry was immeanse help to me while I restored NA0613.
The other Terry in Oakland, CAL
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  20:23:34  Show Profile
Terry was a real fettler of the old school, always making and improving parts to keep us all on the road, he will be sorely missed, rest in peace my old friend, sincere condolences to Margaret and the family., Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  21:05:32  Show Profile
Very sad news indeed. Terry's well thought out knowledge of what makes Triple-M's tick was vast and freely given to anyone who asked for his help as I often did. His enthusiasm was boundless and equally divided between research, fettling, development and driving. He loved the driving bit; one of my favourite Triple-M photographs is of him and Margaret driving up Rosedale Chimney on the 2008 Flat Cap, his smile beaming from ear to ear!
It was typical of Terry that, once his disease has been diagnosed, he had to learn all about its intricacies. His inquisitive search for knowledge took on a new direction, wanting to know every twist, turn and possibility of what was happening to him. I bet the hospitals didn't have many patients like Terry.
The Triple-M world has lost a great friend, as have I.

Terry Hartley
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  22:10:40  Show Profile
Really sad. He helped me a lot when I first got my m type sending me photo's of all the original parts what were missing that I needed. Like original door locks etc. it was very good of him.
After he got his continental coupe he was at stoneliegh he had a smile a mile long all day long showing everyone his find. I didn't know what it was when he showed me! It was a very rare original car and one of the best finds in recent times. I'm glad he got it as it couldn't have fell into the hands of anyone better. It's a shame he couldn't finish it as I believe it's nearly finished. I can't wait to see it finished I believe he will be looking down on it too. Our condolences to all the family Greg and Chris
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  22:32:23  Show Profile
I can only agree with the comments you all have made on behalf of Terry. He was a good friend and a good person. I'm personally deeply saddened as Terry & I had emailed back and forth several times a week the past 5 - 10 years. We tossed around many subjects, mostly dealing with originality aspects of P's, N's, and L's, and his experience and knowledge will be missed by all.

RIP Terry, my friend.

tommm in sad, sunny Ohio
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  22:37:43  Show Profile
Here are pictures of Terry in happier times - at the Register's 50th anniversary bash in 2011 - the second picture with our good friend ToMMM

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2013 :  02:33:32  Show Profile
It is with sadness that I lean of Terry’s passing.

I met Terry again last September when I was fortunate to be able to join him and Margaret at the restoration facility where his L1 CC was being restored. I got a little lost but after some phone calls I found the workshops where Terry was sitting our side waiting.

It was wonderful to spend a couple of hours with him chatting about MMM.
Terry’s image archive was enormous. On many occasions when I asked questions mainly about NB two seaters, he would email back images of the area of enquiry with a long text of information.

We had long Email discussions about paint, colours etc that carried on during this visit.

Originality was his forte; I have saved all his emails (I know he lost his) that now can be a small part of his gift to us.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2013 :  09:55:45  Show Profile
My condolences to his family. He was very empathetic with me on the Border Reivers' Raid last May when he learned of my late wife's cancer. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to know him better.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Jamie Dowley

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2013 :  10:21:52  Show Profile
Very sad news.He was always an absolute gentleman to deal with . I spoke to Terry at the start of March when he was still ordering parts for his L type. He was always very upbeat even when he admitted the outlook was bleak when I asked how he was. An example to anyone on how to face a serious illness and not let it stop you doing the things you like doing.

Condolences to his family from myself and Mike

Sports & Vintage Motors
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000