Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 VSCC 80th anniversary 2014
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  19:55:25  Show Profile
Dick

You advised us, in a post on this forum, some time ago (but I cannot find it), that you were in discussions with the VSCC re the Triple-M register having a presence at the VSCC 80th anniversary celebrations at the East of England showground in August 2014. Without wishing to press you for not yet agreed information, would the presence be on the final Saturday, when it is usual for other clubs to be invited or would it be some other day?

I ask because accommodation details have now been published by the VSCC and I would like to make sure that I will be present when the register makes it's official visit.

I wholeheartedly support your initiative. At the 75 anniversay I felt that it was a shame that we did not have an official presence. I also felt that perhaps a combined presence with the MG Vintage register might make a bigger MG impact, than if we have two separate displays.

Peter

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  20:19:45  Show Profile
Hi Peter

I have not checked but did Dick mention the topic in his notes in the Bulletin?

Dick is away on hols this week but he has been liaising with the VSSC.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  20:40:08  Show Profile
Hi George

Perhaps it was in the Bulletin as I could not find a forum post despite searching several times. We will have to wait for Dick to return from his holidays.

Are Chairman allowed to have holidays

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  05:55:01  Show Profile
Yes the are, Peter but fear not - the watchful eye never sleeps!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  12:21:56  Show Profile
VSCC have now officially launched the event and opened hotel and campsite bookings; I was handing out flyers at VSCC Snetterton last weekend. More can be found on VSCC website if you are not a member. Most events are closed to VSCC members, but on Saturday there will be a big pre-war car show-and-tell at Peterborough with space available to other pre-war vehicle clubs.
It was a shame that MG was not represented at the 75th. Most other marques, including several not VSCC eligible had an organised presence of some sort, but we did not even have a parking area allocated for our cars. I was in the J3 with Mike J in his D; we ended up leaving our cars in the camp site on Saturday. For the 80th, both Mike and I are in contact with Gemma, the VSCC organiser, already helping with one event, as we both live near the venue. We are happy to assist with a "stand" on Saturday, but would need enthusiastic suport from prewar MG owners/clubs to make it worthwhile. A combined MG vintage, MMM, SVW and T would be fantastic, to show VSCC hard liners that MG made great PVT cars as well as vintage. Could triple M committee initiate dialogue with other registers?
BTW, Mike is also involved with Talbot Owners Club who have committed to the event; they won best stand at the 75th. We should be able to upstage them.
Regards,
David K
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  14:13:10  Show Profile
Hello David and thanks for your posting. I too have been in touch with Gemma – a couple of times by telephone and various email exchanges.

I should be in a better position to progress all of this when I return from holiday in a few days time.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  19:27:55  Show Profile
I suppose that, even as an ex-VSCC member, I still feel slighted by the ridicule poured on to my application to join, along with my then PA, at an early 60s December Driving Tests event.

'I can assure you that cars of that type will never be allowed in the VSCC',

said the official, and it was the mid-'70s before post-1930 MGs were allowed in with second-class status as 'Post-Vintage Thoroughbreds'. Even then there were comments from the more objectionable members that the Club would be swamped by 'men named Steve'.

But, then, as longtime MMM devotees, my MG and I have long memories.

'Elephant'.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  19:36:33  Show Profile
Bob,
I regard the fact that my J2 was not deemed suitable for the VSCC as a bit of a "badge of honour". That was in about 1953-4 I think!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  20:01:02  Show Profile
Times have changed guys. I have been at Castle Coombe today and seven out of the twenty-six cars competing in the VSCC set 3 race were MGs. Where were you all? I didn't see any other MMM cars in the spectators car park. Charles Jones came fifth in his L type Magna. So MGs are very much at the heart of the VSCC today.

VSCC events are where MMM cars compete today as the MGCC don't put on any suitable races.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 06/10/2013 20:09:35
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  20:22:11  Show Profile
My F type was down at quarry corner ,
Great day !

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  20:25:04  Show Profile
Would've been up spectating, but life got in the way (CV joints on daughters modern had to be replaced - arrgh!).

Weather was nice too!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  20:49:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moore

My F type was down at quarry corner ,
Great day !

Adrian Moore

Adrian

It was my first visit to Castle Combe. Not knowing the circuit, I decided to park in the VSCC car park. I eventually found it along Dean straight. As I had a 100 mile journey I left immediately after the VSCC race. It certainly is an old-car friendly circuit and not too big, so I enjoyed it very much. The only part of the day which I did not enjoy was the dense mist which I drove through for about thirty miles on the way there. The journey home was much better, arriving home just as it got dark.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  20:58:55  Show Profile
Its a great idea for all the MGCC Registers involved with pre-World War II cars to be seen at the VSCC 80th bash especially as it is MG 90 as well next year. Could the Triple-M Register take a lead in organising this?

I do remember a few years back when the Phoenix at Hartney Witney was refurbished, we in the natter based there since 1966, arranged for the looal MP,a MG owner and driver, to open a plaque showing the MGCC meet there, the founding place of the VSCC. As the MGCC is older than the VSCC it was placed above the VSCC plaque commemorating its founding in the pub.

The MGCC runs a series of race meeting each year - not just the one at Silverstone - and would love to see Triple-M racers racing at all the meetings.
The economics of running a race meeting means a suitable number of racers must be found to form a worthwhile grid for each race. Currently there not sufficient Triple-M numbers. I know the Triple-M Register Committee is working hard on this for next year.
George
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  09:20:44  Show Profile
And 4 of the seven were C Types, and one lonely J2 with a front wheel puncture 3 laps from the end, but finished, all be it very slowly.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  18:18:57  Show Profile

Just for the record Triple-Ms do venture into East Anglia six were participating in the VSCC meeting at Snetterton on Sunday 29th September. Included 3 x C Types; PB; PA and the Kane Special. All seemed to withstand the rigours of racing a testament to their preparation and driver skill.

In addition a further C type and NA seen in the spectators car park.

McEvoy
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  11:57:31  Show Profile
Here is an update on the likely format of the event, which I gleaned from Gemma Price of the VSCC this morning. It's fair to say that it folows the general shape of the 75th party in 2009:-

Dates: Monday 4th August to Sunday 10th August
East of England Showground, Peterborough
See http://www.vscc.co.uk/page/news?newsItemID=209 and http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccMedia/6053.pdf

Outline programme:

Monday ‘Concentration’ run to the showground
Homes and Gardens Tour

Tuesday Tour

Wednesday Navigation Rally
Tour

Thursday Homes and Gardens tour
Straight line sprint

Friday Light Car tour
Cycle Car tour
Treasure Hunt for others

Saturday Big public day. Register parking should be available
for between 16-20 Triple-M cars

Sunday Final day/disperse

During the evenings there will be driving tests, a beer festival, film night/s and on Saturday evening, a Gala dinner.

As regards hotel rooms, the VSCC have done a deal with the adjacent Marriott and the Holiday Inn. So far 26 rooms have been taken at the Marriott, but she did not know the situation regarding the Holiday Inn.

I believe the Marriott's cancellation policy is very flexible. Provided you cancel by 4 pm on the booked date of arrival there will be no charge, otherwise there will be a charge of one night's accommodation.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000