Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  17:38:46  Show Profile
J3485 was VD3234 a Lanarkshire number but was and was certainly SMT Glasgow.

F0313 was GG7531 a Glasgow number so I am fairly certain it too was Glasgow but the car then went off to Edinburgh...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  18:45:15  Show Profile
Thanks Peter & Keith,

I will add this information to the spreadsheet.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  19:02:06  Show Profile
Hi All,

This week I have chosen the Berkshire dealerships on the spreadsheet. So far I have discovered that Sunningdale Motors was started by a Captain Saxty in 1919 and the original premises is still in operation as a garage.

A A Clark, is another recent addition to the spreadsheet, and a quick Google search seems to suggest that up until recently they were still operating as a Vauxhall garage. I will do some more research to see what else I can discover.

As always, any information on these dealerships and the cars supplied by them would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  21:16:20  Show Profile
Hi All,

Firstly, apologies for the long delay between updates, I have recently been concentrating on my studies, but by no means have I forgotten about my research. I haven't discovered a lot during the last few months, due to the studies, but I am now the proud custodian of a small archive of ephemera relating to Westwood Motors in Clacton.

Westwood Motors is a dealership that has cropped up as an MG dealership in the 1930's. Unfortunately, there is nothing directly MG related in the information I have obtained, although there are some promising links. The first attached invoice relates to them (WM) purchasing a 1930 Wolseley Hornet (note at the top of the invoice it refers to the supply of new vehicles). As well as this, I have invoices for the sale of a couple of late 1920's Morris Minors.

The second picture, is in a opinion the gem of the collection. I believe it to be a period 1930's dashboard plaque.

I will try my best to keep updating the topic more regularly, and I hope to unearth more interesting snippets of information on the MG MMM dealership network.

Thanks for your patience.

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 09/05/2015 21:21:42
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  11:04:58  Show Profile
Matthew,

A C (Bert) Westwood was quite a well known Brooklands racing driver in the 1936-7 period. I have a feeling that he had a connection with M.G.s (i.e. he raced one) but I have been unable to substantiate this. He did however race a Fiat Balilla on a number of occasions.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  11:14:09  Show Profile
I think Peter Gregory was had an L type for sale that he advertised as "the ex bert Westwood car" . May find it with a google search .
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  22:37:55  Show Profile
Thanks Colin and Olli for this information. Considering there is very little information available about Westwood Motors online, it has been good to discover this archive and a bit more about the man behind the business.

I will try and update the topic this week with the other dealerships I have listed operating in the Essex area.

Thanks once again

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 10/05/2015 22:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  10:19:09  Show Profile
A Google search on "Bert Westwood" comes up with a lot of info about the man including photographs of him in his Fiat Balilla and Jaguar XK120 - but no mention of his L Type I have a feeling that he was featured in the now defunct Brooklands Society Gazette (a wonderful source of pre-war history) but at present ~I do not have the time to trawl.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  20:40:40  Show Profile
Thanks for that Colin, its nice to put a face to a name. I will certainly see what else I can discover about him and his business.

Thanks

Matthew

Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  09:00:20  Show Profile
Hi,

PB 0635 was sold 10 January 1936 to a Mr Thomas S Steel Jr, "Sunnyside", Marsh House Lane, Warrington by Baldwins Garage, Padgate Lane, Warrington - all as written on the guarantee card.

Jan W
PB 0635
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  18:36:04  Show Profile
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the information on PB0635. I haven't come across Baldwins Garage before, I will add them to the spreadsheet and I will endeavour to find out more. Just out of interest would I be correct in the assumption that Joseph Cockshoot, Manchester upheld the guarantee?

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 12/05/2015 18:36:28
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  11:55:41  Show Profile
Hi All

Apologies for the delay, here is the list of dealerships I have registered in the Essex area, including Westwood Motors, unfortunately as yet I haven't managed to discover a great deal of information about the others listed. Having said this, I believe there are is some information on Fodgens held by the local record office, which I intend to look into at some point.

If I have missed any dealership or the detail is incorrect just let me know, your help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 17/05/2015 12:05:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000