Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Pre-War Prescott 2015
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  22:08:46  Show Profile
A bit more on the noise front! I'm in the process of liberating a Hawker Hurricane from RIAT Fairford to display for us for the evening - IF I can get through the air traffic red tape.

How many dB's do you think a Rolls Royce Merlin at full chat will generate as it rips up the Prescott sky?
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2015 :  14:56:22  Show Profile
Hurricane R4118 confirmed for the evening Battle of Britain Victory Party on Saturday evening - full display. This is Peter Vacher's 1940 Mk. 1 which he recovered from India. It is the only airworthy aircraft that actually flew and fought in the Battle of, with five kills to its name. A truly unique and historic aircraft that has been meticulously restored to its 1940 specification. There could be no more appropriate aircraft for the party.
Go to Top of Page

Rainier

Netherlands
160 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  19:39:46  Show Profile
Ian, I was already looking forward to the event, but this is going to be truly spectacular.
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  10:45:13  Show Profile
Looking forward to seeing your cars at PWP and meeting my fellow Triple M'ers!

Mark
J2 4307

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  18:02:46  Show Profile
Quick update. 31 MMM entries received so far:

M x 3
D x 3
C
F
J1
J2 x 10
L2
NA
PA x 8
PB
Q

That compares with 26 on the day last year, and its only early June, so its likely we will hit 40 or more by the day. Could do with more M Types, and any models not listed above.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6123 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  20:18:36  Show Profile
If anyone hasn't made up their mind to go to PWP and see the Hurricane, have a look at this article - http://www.hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/_images/_articles/flypastjun05.html This has to be unmissable.

And we think restoring a Triple-M car is a challenge!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  19:57:25  Show Profile
I do hope the weather stays perfect for the Hurricane display!

I was fortunate enough and indeed, honoured some years ago to assist with a little minor maintenance on that very machine.

I have seen it in the air many times, but for me, seeing it is only half the pleasure; the sound of it is something else!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  22:14:02  Show Profile
Indeed. The original Merlin III that still powers R4118 was one of the first production Merlin models. The only other aircraft flying in the world today behind a Merlin III is the Shuttleworth Trust's Sea Hurricane. I have prepared a commentary to go with the display on Saturday night, but I have decided to give it just before the aircraft arrives, so that you won't have to listen to me prattle on over the sound of the aircraft!
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  21:02:17  Show Profile
Just received the bio for our pilot for the evening. Should be acceptable. ;-)

Keith Dennison - started flying early, at the age of 12, and gained his glider pilot’s licence at the earliest possible moment, on his 16th birthday. He earned an RAF Flying Scholarship at 17 leading to him gaining his PPL shortly after his 17th birthday, and all this before he could drive a car.

He joined the RAF as a pilot in 1975 and studied Aeronautical Engineering at Bath University. He completed flying training on the Jet Provost, Hawk and Hunter before spending time on 23 and 56(F) Squadrons at RAF Wattisham flying the McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom in the air defence role. During this, his first tour, he qualified as a weapons and tactics instructor on the Phantom before moving on to 19(F) Squadron at RAF Wildenrath in Germany where he served as the Squadron’s qualified weapons instructor pilot.

In 1988 he attended the United States Navy Test Pilot School and qualified as a test pilot as one of the 2 distinguished graduates of Class 94. There followed a tour a Boscombe Down working on a wide variety of projects including all marks of Tornado, Tucano spinning trials and work on the Eurofighter Typhoon cockpit design. He commanded Fast Jet Test Squadron at Boscombe Down from 1995 to 1998 during which time he qualified on all marks of the Harrier and contributed to work on the development of flight control laws for the US/UK Joint Strike Fighter project.

He served again at Boscombe Down, this time as the Chief Test Pilot, from Sep 1999 to the end of 2001. In this period he qualified as a helicopter pilot and flew routinely with all three of Boscombe Down’s test squadrons and the Empire Test Pilot School.

Keith left the Royal Air Force at the end of 2005 to take up the post of Chief Test Pilot for BAE SYSTEMS at Warton. There he was responsible for the company's developmental flight testing of Typhoon, Hawk, Tornado and Harrier. Having left BAE SYSTEMS in 2008, Keith now works as an independent aerospace consultant and works on contracts worldwide delivering test flying, test pilot instruction and wider aerospace consultanct services to a wide range of clients. He also volunteers as a test pilot with e-Go aeroplanes, a start-up company producing a radical, very light weight, pusher canard aircraft made from carbon-fibre; if all goes well Keith will be conducting the first flight of the aircraft.

Keith has flown over one hundred different aircraft types and, as well as displaying Hurricane Mk1, R4118, he is a regular display pilot with the Shuttleworth Collection.

Edited by - Ian Grace on 08/06/2015 21:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  20:02:41  Show Profile
Just thought I'd share this, just in with a sizeable donation from Gil Collins this morning (blown MG J2, JF 2578):

"My father Sgt pilot G A Collins was killed in a crash landing of Hurricane Mk. 1 P2548 at Hall Farm, Hanningham 14.12.40. The Hurricane was repaired and went back into service. This sad event took place 4 months before I was born. I am a qualified pilot myself and would be delighted if you could arrange for me just to sit in the cockpit at its home airfield some time."

Arrangements are being made for Gil to visit R4118.

GBP 1,460 raised towards the display so far, with 25% of this going to our charity - the RAF Charitable Trust. Most grateful to everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2015 :  19:14:18  Show Profile
Quick Pre-War Prescott MMM update. PWP is three weeks today. Current MMM entries stand at 32, that after five cancellations due to illness and other unforeseen factors. All tickets for these entries were FedEx'ed in bulk to the UK last night and will be onward posted the moment they arrive in London next Thursday. However, entries will remain open for some time yet, and if all else fails, you can simply turn up on the day and pay at the gate. But if you do this, you won't get your free climb and you also risk the climbs being sold out - 332 have been allocated up to this morning. Right now with three weeks to go, we have 122 entries in total, 129 for the evening party and 36 cars entered for the nav rally and scenic tour on Sunday, which has just four slots left. Jayne and I travel to London from Seattle two weeks today, arriving Sunday morning 12th July. We will remain on e-mail right up to the day, so will be able to process late entries, queries, etc. I've just posted all the latest news on www.prewarprescott.com and will continue to update as the days count down.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6123 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2015 :  16:49:20  Show Profile
Having incapacitated myself with a broken arm, PWP isn't on my agenda any more, much to my disappointment. So I have available an entry ticket which includes one run up the hill (£40), four additional climb tickets (£20) and a barbecue ticket (£15) available if anyone is interested. If so, please contact me via the Forum email system.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2015 :  21:51:40  Show Profile
Simon,

Very sorry to hear this, and absolutely no problem with ticket transfer.

I have a request of a parallel nature. Australian VMR members Richard and Desley Allom will be visiting us this year and have just booked their airline tickets. They own and drive a very nice Minor tourer in Queensland. Richard and Desley joined us at our 2007 Summer Rally in Dorset and generously threw themselves into helping with marshaling and more on both days. This time they would really like to be able to take part and so I am asking if anyone has a car that Richard and Desley could borrow for the weekend. If you think you may be able to help them out, please get in touch with me without delay so that arrangements can be made – sincere thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  11:15:43  Show Profile
Hi Ian,
Hopefully my question won't sound to stupid.
I know that we are not competing on our drives up the hill, but are there any rules, such as having to wear long sleeve tops and trousers. If the weather continues as it is no doubt there will be many bare arms and legs.
Thanks,
Peter
J4258 - OD8425
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  15:52:12  Show Profile
Good morning Peter,

Absolutely not! The only thing you have to wear is your safety briefing arm band. ;-)

Keep up the sun dance ...

Ian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000