Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ulster Triple-M Touring Event, 7th-12th June, 2016
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2015 :  07:38:44  Show Profile
I'm pleased to say that the Committee has agreed that the 2016 Triple-M UK Touring Event will be taking place in Ulster, scene of so many of M.G.'s successes in the 1930s.

More information can be found on a new web page under the 'Events' tab on the home page - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/UlsterTT/UlsterTT31.asp

Simon J
J 3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/05/2015 08:02:08

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
993 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2015 :  09:21:46  Show Profile
Well done, Simon. It sounds like a great event, and well worth the trip across the Irish Sea (with ferry discounts!). Count me in!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2015 :  11:29:49  Show Profile
Simon, I hope to make the trip.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2015 :  17:52:35  Show Profile
Thanks, chaps, looking forward to seeing you on our side of the Irish Sea.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2015 :  18:23:38  Show Profile
Simon, I will be making every effort to come over in either my F2 or my D-type salonette ... can't wait

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2015 :  18:25:44  Show Profile
Great, Chris, I'll add you to the mailing list.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  11:43:07  Show Profile
I needed an excuse to 'bump' this thread lest Nick archive it so last night's Superbike race at the Ulster Grandprix at Dundrod prompted me to find this link of Joey Dunlop in action there some twenty years ago - http://youtu.be/9BZcSIHjuK4

While Dundrod isn't Triple-M Territory we've included it in the Tour itinerary and I'm sure you'll find it interesting to see what Irish road racing is like. Speeds have increased by about 10 mph since Joey's day and last night's Superbike race was won at an average of over 131 mph with a fastest lap of over 133 mph!

Of more direct relevance to the Ulster Tour, I have now had over forty expressions of interest including a very satisfying number from people with cars that actually competed in Ulster in the 1930s. I've widened my scope of research into M.G.s in competition to include trials and rallies and of the latter, the 1938 Circuit of Ireland winning PB is hopefully going to join us. And I'm cautiously optimistic of a good turnout of TT and Craigantlet cars as well.

Watch this space!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 07/08/2015 11:55:09
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  07:42:38  Show Profile
I had a couple of queries yesterday about hotel arrangements for the Tour so I've updated the Tour web page to clarify a couple of things - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/UlsterTT/UlsterTT31.asp

Those of you who have previously contacted me expressing interest in participating should also have received an email from me yesterday about this. If you didn't get it, please let me know in case I've inadvertently overlooked you.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 12/08/2015 07:43:34
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  14:38:49  Show Profile
I see the Antrim Coast run includes Garron Point. I did a hillclimb there a few years ago and wondered if we are actually going to go up the course? I remember it as being enjoyable, especially when I managed to come 3rd in class...

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  14:57:05  Show Profile
Brian,

We have a number of hill climbs (and special stages) on the routes but the trouble with including Garron Point is that it goes the opposite direction to the route with the result that to get back on track people would be duplicating an, admittedly, small section of the route along the coast which is not ideal. But that wouldn't prevent you from going off piste on your own. As you'll recall, the start of the hill climb on Tower Road is only a few yards from the coast road.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Pots

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  20:54:41  Show Profile
Hello Simon,
I am not sure whether father has made contact with you or not ( if he has it certainly will not be via any medium associated with the internet). However, just to bring us all up to date, I know that he and I are intending to come to Ulster next year with our C type. Quite likely that we would bring the J2 as well...

Is the hillclimb mentioned run as a competitive event (hoping so) or is it a non timed/'runs up the hill' affair ? if you could clarify that would be good. I remember competing in the Croft hillclimb in the J2 when I lived in Ulster in the early 90s...

Perhaps you can include me on your e;mailing list with all information etc.

Many thanks, Duncan.

Pots
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  21:08:20  Show Profile
Duncan,

Excellent news. I'll contact you about including you in the mailing list. If I'm not mistaken your parents stayed with Sandra and I in Belfast during the MGCC 50th Anniversary Jubilee Tour in 1980 along with Jerry and Natalie Keuper. It will be great to see him again.

The Cultra Hill Climb on the Saturday is just that, a competitive hill climb, so anyone interested in entering will be most welcome. The intention is also to have a Parade run or two for those not wishing to compete but who would enjoy the opportunity of a gentle run up the hill. This would be mainly for the benefit of the spectators who wouldn't ordinarily get the chance to see so many Triple-M cars together.

P.S. I've sent you an email via the Forum system.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/08/2015 21:10:45
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2015 :  17:06:16  Show Profile
A commentary on any public parade might help stop all MMM cars being described as TC or TD...and a (discreet) card/sticker with car details if static would be good. We might also learn something about each others cars!
Planning to compete up the tasty hillclimb at Cultra, and looking forward greatly to it all.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2015 :  17:24:49  Show Profile
Good thinking, Brian, and it was already on my 'To Do' list for nearer the time once entries were known.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  10:30:35  Show Profile
Morning Simon,
I'm thinking of coming across with a J2 but have just spoken to P&O as to whether vehicles could be tied down on the crossing. They have confirmed that no vehicles are/can be secured other than by handbrake and that if I had any doubts I'd better not travel! Can this really be true? (I would not be able to guarantee that my handbrake would hold for the entire journey).
Derek.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  11:38:07  Show Profile
Derek
It sounds to me that the person you spoke to at P&O has never taken a car on a car ferry. I have taken my NB on P&O ferries several times, albeit from Hull, and the deck crew have always been very helpful. They will not tie your car down but there are plenty of wheel chocks around that they use for lorries etc. If you want to play safe why not buy a set of small (collapsible) chocks to take with you. I found the big danger is not remembering to remove them before you attempt to drive off!
Terry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000