Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Cars in Films
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

thunderbolt

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  12:56:26  Show Profile
This weekend I had the pleasure of seeing parts of "The Lady Vanishes" on TV, where the happy couple leave the station at the end of the film to see what looks like a PA.

Then less than 24 hours later I was watching "Battle of Britain" and Christoper Plummer was driving about in a 4 seater PA much like mine, the only obvious difference was that his was working.

I thought it would be an interesting thread , does anyone know any other films featuring our cars?

or better still , who has the car from a film?

1935 PA 4 seater

bob

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  18:49:26  Show Profile
Saw a blue M type with the bonnet up in Poirot earlier this year
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  19:29:27  Show Profile
Kenneth More in 'Reach for the Sky'. MG M-type?
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  17:52:07  Show Profile
You may be interested to know that Klaus Falldorf (klaus.falldorf@web.de) has prepared a useful list of Triple-M cars used in films.

I'm sure he'll send you a copy.
Bob Clare
Regisrar
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2006 :  10:17:48  Show Profile
In April Martin Warner told us his KN is supposed to appear for a couple of seconds in The Holiday, with Kate Winslet en Jude Law, this year's Christmassie romantic comedy. I don't know if it was cut out or not yet, 'cause I haven't seen it yet, but I will know this Tuesday!
It should be just driving by, so I'll keep my eyes open!

Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2006 :  13:50:01  Show Profile
Sorry, it was probably cut out, 'cause we didn't see the KN in it. Still, it was a lovely movie!

Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2006 :  18:38:15  Show Profile
A P-type appears in a George Formby film, I think it was 'Riding in the TT races', but no number is visible, if my memory serves me well...
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2006 :  19:01:07  Show Profile
The film starring George Formby was called, I think, "No Limit".

There is another film, about the same time(1934), starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers which features a few shots of a J2 Midget. The film was called "The Gay Divorcee"

There is also a 50's film about Bomber Command during the war starring Dirk Bogarde which shows a 4 seater 'F' type driving across the airfield greeting the hero after an arduous mission.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2006 :  19:36:38  Show Profile
I know my MG 18/80 MK11 is not a MMM car but if it had not been for the early MG`s doing so well we may not have had MMM MG`s. My MG 18/80 MK11 was used in the film "They Flew Alone" the war time film about Amy Johnson.

Cecil Kimber gave Amy Johnson an MG 18/80 MK1 after her solo flight to Australia in "Jason" the De-Havilland Gypsy Moth.

When the film was made her MG 18/80 MK1 no longer existed so they used my MK11 with Dame Anna Neagle playing the late Amy Johnson.

The film shows my Anna Neagle driving my MG 18/80 down the Mall and into Buckingham Palace. So my MG may well be the only MG in the world to go through those gates!

Mike

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2006 :  10:41:08  Show Profile
Again, not strictly MMM but Lawrence Olivier is driving an SA or WA drophead in that wonderfully haunting film "Rebecca" (with the mysterious Mrs Danvers played by Australian Dame Edith Anderson).
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2006 :  10:42:38  Show Profile
Sorry, Dame JUDITH Anderson I think!
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2006 :  10:41:12  Show Profile
Sorry, still trying to get it right! (Sir) LAURENCE Olivier!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Linward

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2006 :  13:18:14  Show Profile
Eric Taylor is quite correct about the J2 in the Astaire/ Rogers film, The Gay Divorcee. Film production started in February 1934 and was released by RKO on 12th October 1934. The cycle-wing J2 is driven by AstaireÆs character æGuy HoldenÆ and is in shot for several minutes, both close up and long shot. From memory (I havenÆt watched the film for several years) the car appears to have large brake drums and the instrument panel is full of gauges, many more than standard even for a supercharged car, which this isnÆt. The æRegistration PlateÆ is something like æ1920Æ which is clearly false and is made in an English style (white characters, black background) but the characters seem a bit large. æThe Gay DivorceeÆ film was set in England but RKO, being at that time, a company close to insolvency, filmed all the scenes on their back-lot in Holywood, so the car must have been in Holywood at that time, probably owned by one of the production company and loaned out to the studio and mocked up to look æEnglishÆ. I wonder if the Registrar can identify any J2s that were exported to the USA in late 1933? The trouble is, it may not have been new when it went over there. I shall have to dig out my old copy of the film and refresh my memory.

Mike Linward
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  04:31:45  Show Profile
My NA0613 can be seen in a few scenes of "Bulldog Drummond in Africa" circa 1938....filmed in Los Angeles.....Terry in Oakland, CA
Go to Top of Page

bob

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  19:26:35  Show Profile
Murder on the Nile (staring Peter Ustinov)featured a swept wing J2 in the opening scene driving into the grounds of a stately home. It was driven by the bloke who now plays a consultantant in Casualty. I think the colour was light fawn.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  16:00:26  Show Profile
Re ?? M-type in Reach for the Sky - shown over the Christmas period just gone.
Definatly an M- type - had smoke coming out of its exhaust!!!
Registration YY something - was so surprised to see one I missed it's number.
Interesting to know how a man could get into, let alone drive an M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000