Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Cars in Films
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  21:12:35  Show Profile
Kenneth More seemed destined to play variations of the same character in films. On stage, though, he was compellingly good.

He was not large, so fitting in to an M type would not have been a problem.

Should MMM cars be banned because they encourage sizeism?

I remember being shocked, when away at school, to have Douglas Bader described, by a former RAF padre on his station, as one of the most unpleasant men he had ever met.
More was, by all accounts, the opposite.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  09:03:09  Show Profile
I note with interest the comments on the cockpit size of an M type.

Many years ago whilst competing in my 1930 M type on a VSCC trial high up the Brecon Beacons I was approached by Colin Crabbe famed for starting the business Complete Automobilist and Vintage racing car driver.

As we had time to kill for the next section he asked if he could try my car for size! Now Colin is no "Midget" being a good 6 ft plus and quite on the broad size too. Well he got in but found that one foot would cover all three pedals!

My shoes size is a 9 but I had to be selective when driving the M with its centre accelerator pedal, old style winkle pickers were ideal.

Seriously though when our cars were designed and built people were slimmer and smaller and shoe size was in the the order of size 6.

In my NA I have the seat as far back as it will go and I am only 5ft 9 in but the seat adjustment will take it forward some 5 inches!

I would like to see some busty model like Jordan behind the wheel of a MMM car although you would need dished spokes!

Dream on.

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  19:12:59  Show Profile
People are larger - better medicine and food supply - and they certainly have larger feet. In my shoemaking youth (1960 on) the 'sample' or 'average' size used for display shoes, was still a narrow size 7 for gents' shoes and a narrow 4 for ladies, just as it had been in the 1930's. Hence the close-set pedals.
The largest size bicycle frame listed in the MG period by Sunbeam was 28" - 'for riders of 6' and over' - so larger people were around.
Cecil Kimber was small and slight which may have had some influence, as might the proportions of the French cyclecars on which the MG was patterned.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  23:20:46  Show Profile
Dear all of you sizeist MMMers.
What I really was trying to say was about how the character played by Kenneth Moore that was being portrayed - with his "tin legs" could possibly get into and drive the thing.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  09:04:31  Show Profile
He probably got in the M type and took his tin legs off and used hand controls!

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

Old Grey M

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  14:01:01  Show Profile
RE size and M types. I've been driving ours for 40 years although it isn't as easy as it was! (And I'm over 6'0" and well overweight!)Must admit detachable legs and beer belly would help.
Mike

Edited by - Old Grey M on 10/01/2007 14:04:14
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  16:29:36  Show Profile
If he could get into a Hurricane, a Spitfire and an ME 109 and 'drive' the first two, Bader, surely, could have managed an M-type. He, too, wasn't very large.
The Matron at my school was similarly disabled and managed pretty well at most things. Kenneth More (one o) had no such problems.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2007 :  07:35:34  Show Profile
Reported by our Triple-M chum Paul Duncombe, I gather that my PA was captured during filming for the BBC2 series "The Restaurant" in the edition televised last night. I'm told that this episode is repeated on Sunday 16th Sept at 6 pm. At least the car was moving - unlike at present!

Enough of this shameless self-publicity - but signed photographs are available on request.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 14/09/2007 07:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2007 :  08:24:03  Show Profile
My PB MG4473 has apparently featured in an Agatha Christie film of the play The Wasp and has been shown on TV I believe. I am told that the car appears to be white whereas it has always been black and still is. I believe it is also shown having had an accident with damage to right front! The car shows no evidence of any of this - thankfully!! I would welcome any more info on when it appeared on TV and which channel - was it for ITV or for BBC?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2007 :  16:07:32  Show Profile
Martin Warners KN was in Danger UXB a series based on the life of a bomb disposal officer on ITV in the early 80's
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2008 :  16:37:25  Show Profile

For MGs, and other cars, in films, see IMCDB, a database for cars in films featured on prewarcar.com
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2008 :  13:45:41  Show Profile
Great site. I didn't however find my favorite ,1934's "Gay Divorcee" Lots of footage of Fred Astaire driving a J2 chasing Ginger Rogers. Did I miss it?

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2008 :  20:52:32  Show Profile
I am supprised that Peter Ustinov could prise himself into a J type!
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2008 :  00:08:36  Show Profile
For what it is worth I was told by a previous owner of RA 0258 in twin cam form that it's exhaust note was used on the sound track of the Flying Dutchman featuring James Mason & Ava Gardner as they did not have the sound recorded of the Napier Railton used in the film. Rivers Fletcher told me that actually his Magnette was used for this task so probably I was the victim of another old wives tale. Still for you real enthusiasts how about searching old films for MG exhaust notes !! I think the twin cam would have been more ear splitting from what I remember on the SU brake and at Silverstone.
Happy listening
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2008 :  02:42:25  Show Profile
Gordon wrote;

My PB MG4473 has apparently featured in an Agatha Christie film of the play The Wasp and has been shown on TV I believe. I am told that the car appears to be white whereas it has always been black and still is. I believe it is also shown having had an accident with damage to right front! The car shows no evidence of any of this - thankfully!! I would welcome any more info on when it appeared on TV and which channel - was it for ITV or for BBC?

Possibly you were referring to Poirot, Wasp's Nest, which First Aired:
Sunday January 27, 1991
It is on DVD, follow the two links below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poirot-Agatha-Christies-Plymouth-Express/dp/rentals/B00008WQ86

http://www.tv.com/poirot/wasps-nest/episode/71070/summary.html

He has to solve a mystery which includes cyanide, failing brakes and mixed-up love lives.

I can understand mixed up love lives but failing brakes? On a MG??

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 16/01/2008 02:45:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000