Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 P type MG 3880 P1815
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  02:28:14  Show Profile

With regard to the two P-Types in the period photos I notice that the
defusers for the head lights are on the near-side.
I always thought that the idea was to have the curbside illuminated. ??

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  08:11:43  Show Profile

Sorry about the Senior Moment above....

Obviously (but not at the time of posting) the defuser is on the correct side.

I did try to delete the posting but it seems after 30 minutes of the posting it can't be altered or deleted. ?

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  08:35:58  Show Profile

Having said that!

How come this has the defuser on the off-side?

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  09:24:27  Show Profile
Brian. You are getting a little 'defused' about the whole situation !.
Does this help ? In the old system of Dip & Switch , the off-side went out & the near-side stayed when they were dipped hence the need for the defuser to be fitted to the near-side light.
It's a mute point as to whether the German bombers would have seen the headlights when full on anyway but , obviously , we had to do as much as possible to avoid any unnecessary light.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  13:38:49  Show Profile
Ford Eight people didn't seem to care too much about which side you used ...

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  13:42:53  Show Profile
And Raymond Baxter ignored the rules altogether, it seems ...

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  03:02:34  Show Profile

This photo that was linked by Vitesse (Re Alvis webpage) on this previous listing was what made me question the defusers.
I enjoyed the 'ALVIS CRIME AND PUNISHMENT' segement, Richard.

Thanks for the clarifications to Cat and Ray.
Now it's as clear as mud!

Thanks.

Brian.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9923&whichpage=1

Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  02:13:30  Show Profile
Brian

I will try to wash the mud away.

According to the Factory records P1726 was sold to a Mr Place by Morris Industries Export Ltd with the registration plate AJO 300, all the correspondence with factory refer to Mr Place AJO 300 with chassis no P1726 apart from one "Order for Repairs" which has a registration AJO 360 and chassis no P1726 for number plate painting, in my view a misprint as everything else tallies including photographs taken during WW2 I have of AJO 300 showing deluxe extras fitted by the factory in March 1935.

Now I understand the P1726 is known to the MMM register as owned by Ray Fowler though the stamp on the dumb iron is possibly not clear. I have had information from a third party that the rusty chassis, all that remains, will stay in Australia as Ray has promised it to another. If this chassis is P1726 I am curious as to its history and how it got to the other side of the world.

My only interest in P1726 AJO 300 is that it belonged to a Herbert Ellis best man at my parent's wedding in 1944.

As for the "Defuser" though very interesting my main concern is if at all possible to find P1815 MG 3880 or any information about the car.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  11:37:11  Show Profile
Hi All

Thank you to everybody that has read or contributed to this thread.

Alan stated "It pops up on the DVLA website. There is a link on the site on obtaining details of current owner. Happy hunting!".
This is true, information given, first registered 23 March 1935, 847cc, petrol, green, 2 axle rigid body, so I sent an enquiry to DVLA, the reply was very polite (fee returned) but firm that they are unable to supply any information other than to the current "Owner", Data Protection. javascript:insertsmilie('')

It would appear MG 3880 is out there so I am still hopeful, please keep your eyes open. javascript:insertsmilie('')

Richard
PA1733 YA5206

Edited by - Richard Verrill on 25/02/2016 11:40:33
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  12:47:38  Show Profile
(Just so that the comments about double vision make sense to readers of this topic in the future).
For some unknown reason, there was a duplication of a post. I deleted the duplicate before I read the comments which now no longer make sense.
Apologies for the confusion
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2016 :  18:32:13  Show Profile
Hi Cat,
nothing about bicycle headlamps.............
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

mcharlton

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2016 :  22:42:08  Show Profile
A photographs of MG 3880 which belonged to my father around 1950.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2016 :  11:32:58  Show Profile
Dear Martin

How nice to have your posting and the splendid pictures. We'd love to know more about your father's ownership of the car and any personal recollections you may have. Bit by bit we're piecing together our knowledge of the car and its history, so any info would be welcomed. TIA

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2016 :  22:50:44  Show Profile
Dick

I have sent you a message off line.

I am delighted with the number of hits this thread has attracted, I still live in hope the old girl will come to light.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  02:19:38  Show Profile
Very interesting thread, indeed.
I am most interested in some of the detail of the P Type.
Particularly the exact shape of the clam-shell fenders. Look right because they are right!
Also the smaller Pre-War dash board grab handle. I am in the process of making a brass remake of this (have an original for pattern), investment casting if anyone is interested let me know.
I see an original Bonora petrol cap too. Imagine these are getting quite hard to find now, I was lucky to have bought one in the early 80s, from T&M Bone. S&V sell out quickly on their remakes I notice.
My definition of remake = repro with 'MG design integrity' and attention to detail and modern materials and design improvements only where needed
Wonder if any MMM MG has been discovered with a camouflage paint job and war time lamp defusers?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000