Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HW Allingham and the Airline Coupes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  02:07:39  Show Profile

So is this an Allingham Airline ?.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  02:11:19  Show Profile

While this is thought to be NA0540 when in New Zealand.

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  06:02:59  Show Profile
Hi Tony

I'm confused by your logic. It's clear NA0540 has a different body to the rest (that has been known for many years) but I don't see why you deduce it was built by Martin & King rather than any one of a number of coachbuilders in Aussie, NZ or the UK. Is there more that you've not yet told us?

Edited by - KevinA on 09/02/2020 06:14:41
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  07:15:30  Show Profile
The two photos are not related to the Martin & King research on NA0540, other than to demonstrate that there are more mysteries to be solved than answers.

It's early days to jump to any conclusions. The unknown Airline with the split rear window appears to be a TA or TB, not an N-Type.

I posted the photos to see if anyone could offer any further information on either car. Nothing more. No one seems to know where the "Whittingham & Mitchell" story originated as far as I am aware.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 09/02/2020 07:17:22
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  08:08:19  Show Profile
Thanks Tony

Ted was always elusive as to his logic on this. He correctly identified the differences but the rest seemed to rely on word of mouth rather than hard evidence. I prefer to deal with documented facts.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  08:24:18  Show Profile
Thanks Kevin,
I experienced similar lack of evidence in tracking down the truth behind the 2nd TA Airline Coupe many years ago, but if you keep prodding the truth often surfaces.
The latest iteration of the Original T-Series book has now addressed the issue.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  01:14:22  Show Profile
An interesting part of Henry Allingham's career was his interest in designing car door presssings which could be applied to any number of body designs, thereby reducing costs. The pressings could be sold to any coach builder who wanted a contemporary door design. His background was as a production engineer so he was always looking at ways of reducing the cost of production. I look at those door skins and try to see another mid-1930s car in them.
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  15:34:19  Show Profile
I'd better join in on this conversation before it's too late!!

For those not in the Airline loop, NA0540 is being rebuilt as an Airline Coupè again and below pic was taken last week. It's a tough project but very rewarding. It will be finished in its original duo-red with dark red interior. Since all of the original Airline was destroyed nearly 70 years ago, we are restoring to the more common Airline style, but still an Airline Coupè!! Tommm in Ohio

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  15:52:36  Show Profile
Hello, Tom.

Very satisfying to see the N type being restored to it’s original form, thanks for posting the picture.

I once had one of the Replica Airline bodies which was one of a small batch made many years ago but I can’t remember who made them, you may know as I vaguely remember speaking to you about it. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a spare N type to put the body on at the time and sold it to a chap in Holland.

I would love one of these cars but hey, we can’t have everything !!

Regards,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  17:22:42  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Westbury

Hello, Tom.

"Very satisfying to see the N type being restored to it’s original form, thanks for posting the picture.

I once had one of the Replica Airline bodies which was one of a small batch made many years ago but I can’t remember who made them, you may know as I vaguely remember speaking to you it."

Hi Chris, yes those bodies, I believe, unfortunately, were steel tube framed rather than ash. Further, the differences between P-Type and N-Type body tubs turned out to be far greater than I knew at the time. N tubs are the same from the belt line up, but 3" wider at the bottom and about 3" taller (under the doors).

To me they make a much more proportional looking car than P-Types.

This tub, built in England and shipped to me, had to be completely stripped of the aluminum skin to correct 12 major problems in the wood frame.

BTW, all this NA0540 information is interesting (and thanks to all contributors) but I'd sure love to see some hard evidence at some point re: its mysterious origins! I suspect if there's any more information to be gleaned it would originate from OZ or NZ.

tommm in mild, sunny Ohio

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  19:26:28  Show Profile
Tom,

Are you sure that the firewall was squared off at the top like your photo shows? Every one I've seen follows the lines of the standard bodied firewall, although on at least the P-types, an extended weather seal channel with wooden packing pieces were added to raise the height to gain room to effectively seal under the taller bonnet.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  21:35:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LewPalmer

Tom,

Are you sure that the firewall was squared off at the top like your photo shows? Every one I've seen follows the lines of the standard bodied firewall, although on at least the P-types, an extended weather seal channel with wooden packing pieces were added to raise the height to gain room to effectively seal under the taller bonnet.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281

Hi Lew,

No, it is not squared off like pic shows. It starts out with this standard N firewall, though, then the outer aluminum pieces are riveted on to create the "seal". While I have the new bonnet panels, I have not started to fit them up yet and will wait till I do to finesse the firewall.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  00:31:37  Show Profile
Hi Tony
I have been pondering over who could have built the Airline body of this car in Australia. It has similarities with this Bentley 3.5L body by Diskon and Molyneaux of Melbourne, Victoria. This car was built for the Australian Governor General Lord Casey and was the only Bentley with this body. Yes, four doors rather than two, a bigger car etc etc but it has a family resemblance.

I'm still intrigued as to how the Whittingham and Mitchel story began. Phil Bayne-Powell is not sure where the story came from either.

Graeme

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  02:29:43  Show Profile
Hi Graeme,
I think there is more in common with this car - a Wolseley Hornet Airline Coupe built in Sydney. They both have the split rear window, and similar coachlines. The Oz TA Airline was also known to have originated in the Sydney area, not Melbourne, so I suggest it might be a product of Coachcraft Bodies of Sydney. I will send you an email of further research.

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  03:17:57  Show Profile
At the risk of asking a very obvious question, what do the dispatch record/build documentation file say for NA540? Assuming they still exist of course.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000